Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

Foreshadowing Merle's Role?

I've been going over Rick's line in this episode to Daryl about Merle, something to the effect of, "If he hurts someone, it's on you." It was hard to hear with Banshee Beth caterwauling in the background, but it was something like that.

Is it foreshadowing Merle being responsible for someone's death and Daryl having to live with it, or just a throwaway line?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Level
    Rick said to Daryl - "I'm glad you're back, I really am, but if he causes a problem, it's on you." Rick is giving Daryl the responsibility of keeping Merle in line and any problems that Merle causes will fall back on Daryl as well because he's insisting they let Merle stay. With Carol also telling Daryl that Merle is not good for him and not to let Merle drag him down, I think that will play into Daryl having to finally make a definitive choice between Merle and the group.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    Hmmm... good question. A 3rd possibility is that with Rick putting Daryl on notice and making it clear the Merle is his responsibility, Daryl has to step up when Merle threatens to get out of line somewhere down the road. No matter what, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it a "throwaway" line... given the situation at the prison, it's a perfectly natural thing for Rick to say.

LMFAO at "Banshee Beth caterwauling in the background"... not a fan, are we?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverDown View Post
    Hmmm... good question. A 3rd possibility is that with Rick putting Daryl on notice and making it clear the Merle is his responsibility, Daryl has to step up when Merle threatens to get out of line somewhere down the road. No matter what, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it a "throwaway" line... given the situation at the prison, it's a perfectly natural thing for Rick to say.

LMFAO at "Banshee Beth caterwauling in the background"... not a fan, are we?
    We are not. I stole "Banshee Beth" from my boyfriend, who also asked "Who the FUCK told her she could sing? Girl sounds like someone beating a sackful of cats."

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I think E13 will have some shenanigans between Merle and Glenn. I really hope so. It will be really interesting to see how the other members deal with it. It could lead to some great scenes between Glenn/Maggie, Daryl/Merle, Merle/Carol.

As for Beth's singing, I loved it. :)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
    We are not. I stole "Banshee Beth" from my boyfriend, who also asked "Who the FUCK told her she could sing? Girl sounds like someone beating a sackful of cats."
    lmfao!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Beth has a good old-timey music voice, one that would fit in to any number of rural music traditions. I admit it, I am a fan of old timey music. HOWEVER, I will quickly become an un-fan if forced to listen to it over and over and over...

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Level
    Daryl and Merle are going to have to have some conflict at some point....it makes sense it would happen when Rick is not around..he knows Rick won't tolerate his crap and he probably thinks he can still lord over Daryl. Daryl isn't going to "become his own person" without some cathartic event to propel that.

I thought at some point I saw some picture on the Internet of Daryl and Merle "trading haymakers" in the woods. It might have been a film clip...I seem to recall the two going at it in character and then Rooker helping Reedus up and the two hugging..

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
    Rick said to Daryl - "I'm glad you're back, I really am, but if he causes a problem, it's on you." Rick is giving Daryl the responsibility of keeping Merle in line and any problems that Merle causes will fall back on Daryl as well because he's insisting they let Merle stay. With Carol also telling Daryl that Merle is not good for him and not to let Merle drag him down, I think that will play into Daryl having to finally make a definitive choice between Merle and the group.
    I agree completely. This line was foreshadowing and it's possible it could be beyond a choice Daryl will face. I see him making this decision over an extreme circumstance, i.e if someone in the group has their life on the line or dies because of Merle, whether it is direct or not.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
    I agree completely. This line was foreshadowing and it's possible it could be beyond a choice Daryl will face. I see him making this decision over an extreme circumstance, i.e if someone in the group has their life on the line or dies because of Merle, whether it is direct or not.
    That's what I'm thinking as well. They have put a lot of emphasis on Daryl having to make a choice at some point. Initially, he chose Merle, but quickly realized that was wrong. Now he's trying to have both Merle and the group, but that's already causing problems with all the tension and resentment within the group. It seems most likely that it will come down to extreme circumstances forcing Daryl to finally make a definitive choice. I think the incident with that Mexican family on the bridge was heavy foreshadowing for that as well because it showed just how much Daryl has changed where Merle has not changed at all. Daryl had the strength to stand up to Merle and save that family from him. If he can do that for strangers, he can certainly do it for the people who have become his family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast