Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Level

3 Season 6 Mistakes That Started the Downfall of the Show

Before I start I'm not complaining or being a crybaby bitch. I'll just share what I think where the 3 things that started the downfall:

• Glenn Dumpstergate: No real necessity for this. They should have shown him hiding under the dumpster or inside it.

• Not ending NWO in 6X08: Since Gimple we always have the 8 episodes arc which I like but that got thrown away in S6 with the "Mom" cliffhanger. Instead of fillers like 6x05 or 6x07, they should have mixed this 2 episodes together into one so 6x08 is actually 6x07 and 6x09 is the Mid-Finale and the NWO arc is complete. So when 6x09 returns and that actually is 6x10 the 1 month time jump would feel more organical and the start of another arc (Large World).

• Negan cliffhanger. No matter what they say. This wasn't done for narrative purposes but for a rating stunt. This is what backfired on them and the ratings to these days. Kirkman's stupid excuse: "We knew you were always coming back to see the show" is the icing on the cake. If they knew we're coming back why the necessity for a cliffhanger?...They should have made 6x15, 6x16 and 7x01 into a good 2 episode finale and voila...A good ending to the something to fear arc.

Bonus: No killing Alexandrians (Bruce, Kent, Anna, Scott) during NWO, No exact numbers of extras per communities, Saviors respawning like Gremlins.

If you agree, let me know or share your thoughts

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1748 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree with all of this. The saviors just getting bigger even when a lot have been killed is crazy to me.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1277 Post(s)
    Level
    Walkers to the front of them, walkers to the back. No walkers that I can see to the side over that fence.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Level
    Dumpstergate And Negan are the two things that killed TWD more than anything else. Killing off so many fan favorites and replacing them with shit characters hasn’t helped either.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Level
    While I agree with all of your points, the fall of TWD started in 5b for me. After the group arrived in Alexandria, it seems the story lines slowed to a crawl and they have relied heavily on gimmicks and teasers to try to garner ratings.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Level
    I'd pull it all the way back to Season 4 with episodes like "Still" I feel like that was the beginning of the end. Bottle Episode after Bottle Episode. The group reunites for 4x16-5x3 then right back to it bottle episode after bottle episode. I do whole-heartedly agree with your points, those were all terrible moments in the show's history. The first episode of 6 was utter garbage. I feel like every single show on TV has to have that one Tarantino-Esque episode that plays out in a non-linear fashion but The Walking Dead has made it a regular occurrence. Having huge defining moments play out through flashbacks and memories is just garbage writing.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree with all of your opinions and I marvel at how you can remember the names of those Alexandrians @InfinityGrimes. I think the transition between GA and VA is what started the problems for me. It literally and figuratively started a slow, plodding course for the characters. In an incredibly short amount of time they lost their home, Hershel, Bob, Beth, and Tyreese, and barely a conversation about anything. The rogue dogs and the barn that miraculously survived a tornado were the precursor to the deus ex machina that SG seems to love and has become predictable and very irritating.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Level
    Those are exactly the mistakes that dealt a critical blow to the show.

I would add as a sequel that decompressing the NEgan arch beyond Season 7 added another terrible wound and Rick sparing Negan at the end of Season 8 will finish the job.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Level
    Dude the downfall started with welcome to the tombs for me. I'll admit there were a lot of good episodes between there and where we are. Claimers, termites and carol. But then you have the general hospital arc, wolves, wtf was that? Can't forget the multiple episodes with those motherfuckin woods that went nowhere and the fact this show is produced by a group of " can't get rights" and you have the downward spiral that is twd

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Level
    I have to agree that these things were real mistakes that began a downward spiral that's only getting worse, as shown by the other stuff people have mentioned. I know I'm in the minority in liking some of the bottle episodes.

Dumpstegate didn't bother me, in fact it amused me, probably because back then spoilers were plentiful and I knew that Glenn wasn't gone. For the record, and assuming I recall correctly, there were many walkers on the other side of that fence by the dumpster. The whole thing was stupid however and hurt TWD.

However, I completely agree that TWD uses cliffhangers badly. The one in the NWO story, between the S6 MSF and MSP, was awful. For me the worst part was how just one episode later, while we are still processing the deaths of Jessie and her family and the extreme events of the NWO story, the characters had all moved on and there was no aftermath for anybody, even one-eyed Carl. Rick in particular was carefree and totally over the horrible death of a woman he cared about, ready to jump into bed with Michonne. The supposed time jump was laughable. The annoying thing is, as the OP said, is that it all would have worked fine if they'd finished NWO in the MSF, eliminated the cliffhanger and then made a fresh start in the MSP after a time jump.

The over-the-top action and superhero antics of the last few seasons, even by my favourite character Carol, have destroyed TWD by making it into a shallow, cartoon-like show, one into which a one dimensional cartoon character like Negan fits easily. Negan would not have worked at all in Season 1. The writers have reduced TWD from a series that felt very real in Season 1 and after, to something superficial and juvenile. I would never have started watching TWD as it is today.

I think that the real death blow will prove to be the killing off of Carl. Neither the character nor the actor were particular favourites of mine but the Carl and Rick story was the core of TWD, and its beating heart, and that’s gone. Nobody can replace Carl and even if they give some of his storylines to others, like Henry, there will be no emotional weight to them.

The other death blow will be the survival of Negan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast