Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Preacher

1. Back To Top    #131
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm kinda shocked at the hate the S2 finale is getting.

People bitching about it being a cliffhanger yet I bet these people were fine

[Game of Thrones]
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Tulip is dead. It's not some mystery of who was killed like Abe/Glenn. It's not about if she is or isn't dead it's very clear that she is dead at this moment. That's where this chapter ended. Now we see what happens next season in the next chapter. It's not a bad cliffhanger because there isn't much left hanging. Glenn's death was different because it cut to black in the middle of the scene. There was no end to that scene. It was a chapter with the last few pages missing. Also, they really didn't leave that much open. Arseface is free so it's not like nothing happened, Denis is gone and it also set up a beef between Jesse & Cassidy. That's what I'm really interested to see next season.

That's really what this season was about. There was an underlying villain (a couple actually) but it was more about the relationship between the 3 main characters this season. In many ways, the true villains this season were each other and even if Tulip's death does end up being a fake out (it will) it still serves a purpose in what it does to Jesse & Cassidy. It's revealed who they really are. What they really think about each other deep down. And, if Tulip does get revived maybe she aint the same person anymore. Hell, Arseface might not even be the same person anymore. If you think about it, everything he just went through is because of Jesse and we've seen a slightly darker side of him this season that could get even darker as the show goes on. He still seems like a nice guy but he's grown some balls this season.

I'm sure some would have liked to see them deal with Herr Starr this season but I'm not really sure they could right now without rushing it. Plus, there isn't a whole lot of material. I believe the comic only went for 66 issues so that's maybe 4-5 seasons at best if it gets that far without being canceled and It seems like Herr Starr from what I've heard has the most material of all the major villains to work with since The Saint of Killers isn't really a character that you can slow down and talk to and he doesn't even really seem open to having partners to share dialogue with. He's basically The Terminator. Once he shows up everything gets real fast paced so Herr Starr is great for slowing it down and taking your time in between all of the fast paced crazy stuff.

2. Back To Top    #132
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I'm kinda shocked at the hate the S2 finale is getting.

People bitching about it being a cliffhanger yet I bet these people were fine

[Game of Thrones]
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Tulip is dead. It's not some mystery of who was killed like Abe/Glenn. It's not about if she is or isn't dead it's very clear that she is dead at this moment. That's where this chapter ended. Now we see what happens next season in the next chapter. It's not a bad cliffhanger because there isn't much left hanging. Glenn's death was different because it cut to black in the middle of the scene. There was no end to that scene. It was a chapter with the last few pages missing. Also, they really didn't leave that much open. Arseface is free so it's not like nothing happened, Denis is gone and it also set up a beef between Jesse & Cassidy. That's what I'm really interested to see next season.

That's really what this season was about. There was an underlying villain (a couple actually) but it was more about the relationship between the 3 main characters this season. In many ways, the true villains this season were each other and even if Tulip's death does end up being a fake out (it will) it still serves a purpose in what it does to Jesse & Cassidy. It's revealed who they really are. What they really think about each other deep down. And, if Tulip does get revived maybe she aint the same person anymore. Hell, Arseface might not even be the same person anymore. If you think about it, everything he just went through is because of Jesse and we've seen a slightly darker side of him this season that could get even darker as the show goes on. He still seems like a nice guy but he's grown some balls this season.

I'm sure some would have liked to see them deal with Herr Starr this season but I'm not really sure they could right now without rushing it. Plus, there isn't a whole lot of material. I believe the comic only went for 66 issues so that's maybe 4-5 seasons at best if it gets that far without being canceled and It seems like Herr Starr from what I've heard has the most material of all the major villains to work with since The Saint of Killers isn't really a character that you can slow down and talk to and he doesn't even really seem open to having partners to share dialogue with. He's basically The Terminator. Once he shows up everything gets real fast paced so Herr Starr is great for slowing it down and taking your time in between all of the fast paced crazy stuff.
    Aside from how Hannibal wound up utilizing it, I am firmly against fake deaths in stories and especially as cliffhangers. But that's under the condition that it's the main point that we're supposed to be worrying about. I don't have as much of a problem with it here because there is so much else going on and they established within the episode that she'll probably be coming back. It was less about the death than it was about the straw having broke the camel's back of Jesse/Cassidy's relationship, and with all of the mystery of Angelville and the dog God and Jesse being the messiah and the word not working and the possibility of the SoK's return and whatever Hitler will be getting up to now as well as Eugene, I am as satisfied and excited as I have ever been with this show.

The criticism has also perplexed me, but I have not read the comics so I don't have pre-established expectations. All I know is that this show is just so much fun. This season got pretty slow in the middle and I definitely got sick of that apartment after a while, but this show strikes that great balance between humor/action/drama that I've been missing since Justified ended its run.

3. Back To Top    #133
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Level
    It can't be a direct adaption anyways. I'm sure if it could have been they would have but to make it work as a TV series you cant blow through everything super quickly and you have to find ways to expand the story. Both TWD and Game of Thrones have done this a lot.

But I also don't really see Tulip's death as a fake because she is dead. She could get revived but right now she is dead and to Jesse & Cassidy she is dead. How it's impacting the characters is real. I'd rather that then camera trickery fake outs or staged deaths where the character is believed to have died but it's revealed later on that they never died and just wanted you to think they were or were involved in something where they should have died but somehow survived barely. We've seen that a lot before and it's just cheap. At the very least Tulip is actually dead. Yes, it might not stay that way but everything we are seeing is at least real (in storyline).

Jesse & Cassidy's reactions and what it does to their relationship
    What is Jesse & Cassidy willing to do to bring Tulip back?
    Could Tulip be a different person when/if she is brought back?

These are all interesting things going forward not including the stuff with Arseface, Hitler, Herr Starr and The Saint of Killers and more things we don't know of yet.

And the show respects its viewers enough not to make a big deal out of Tulip's death either as it was more about Jesse & Cassidy relationship. Her death was almost an afterthought. I think they know we know she'll probably return so that's why they didn't focus on it that much. It's not like the season just ended with Tulip dying and them burying her only for her to suddenly be dug up at the start of next season. It ended with Jesse & Cassidy pissed off with each other with Tulip's corpse in the backseat of a car driving somewhere so clearly they are up to something.

4. Back To Top    #134
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    It doesn't compare to Glenn for sure, but in my opinion, death is permanent and any subversion of that fact makes it a fake death. There are certainly different levels of it, but entertainment wise, that's just my definition.

5. Back To Top    #135
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Level
    Renewed for s3!!!!

6. Back To Top    #136
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)
    Level
    Only a few days away!!! I’m so excited

7. Back To Top    #137
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)
    Level
    I must say I’m loving season 3 so far. Absolutely phenomenal

8. Back To Top    #138
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Level
    Better hurry the fuck up with that renewal. I'm starting to get worried.

9. Back To Top    #139
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Level
    renewed!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314