Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Back To Top    #11
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Level
    I do agree that the Compendiums are the best way to go.
    However, when it comes to the volumes? I only buy the volumes I truly love from the series.
    Take for example the volume...TWD: "Fear the Hunters."
    While I do have Compendium #2? I also have a single volume of "Fear the Hunters" because that is one of my favorite arcs from the comics.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Level
    I prefer reading the volumes. Yeah they are more expensive than the compendiums, but I just don't like how big and heavy the compendiums are. I also like the cover art on the volumes and they look good on a shelf.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status
    Jaywalking Loiterer ShanesAddiction's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level
    Just to draw a distinction, whatever you end up buying is really going to depend on whether you just want to read the source material or if you want to read it and become a collector.

If I were a collector, I'd go with individual issues, but that's just my personal preference. If I wanted something I could read then showcase nicely on a bookshelf I'd buy just the volumes. When I began reading the source material a couple years ago, I was concerned only with the story itself and I wanted to read as much of it at once as possible. That's why comps have been my answer.

Even though I've read to the end of comp 3 and there are new issues since then, I find it easy to keep up with what's going on in those issues by a) reading posts in the comic forum on this site, and b) following a couple of Internet sites that provide synopsis summaries of each issue. If I remember correctly there's also a site where you can read them online for free.

Oh, and the comps do fit nicely on a bookshelf. You just need a bookend or some sturdy hardbacks on either side. The end of a shelf works too. :)

4. Back To Top    #14
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Level
    I would like to thank you guys for your advice. I almost went with the compendiums, however, after looking at the individual covers I see the virtue in buying them individually, plus I am renovating an old house with some really cool built in bookshelves, they will add some nice color and they are really beautiful.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Level
    The only advice I can give is stop at issue 100. Its all downhill from there.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by manscaper View Post
    The only advice I can give is stop at issue 100. Its all downhill from there.
    Thanks for that,

I have decided to put this on hold until AMC and the jerk-o-saurs in charge stop with their bs. I don't know what I can do to make a difference, but, I can choose NOT to give my money to people who treat fans like poop.

And a big

to the morons

7. Back To Top    #17
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Level
    The compendium's are the way to go if you just want to read the story and save some money doing it. They are often available on Amazon for around 30 bucks which is definitely a deal. If you want to collect the series, I would recommend the volumes. I own each volume and its pretty cost effective (15 bucks every half year or so). They have really cool cover art and its easy to pick up one off the shelf if you want to reread just an arc rather than the entire story.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I would not buy the compendiums, Omnibooks, or anything larger than the trade paperbacks.

With the trade paperback its easier to flex and to read comfortably, don't lose your place as easily and less need for bookmarks...

Plus you can buy them one at a time when you are ready for a read. Dont have to spend the larger amount of money on the hardcovers. A bookstore/comic store membership (usually $10-20 or so a year) will also shave the price down quite a bit with the membership sales and perpetual discounts, and you can take your time buying them throughout the year.

The only valid reason I'd see for buying the larger compilations is if you are a book a day or book in two day type of voracious reader.. where you would zip through an entire compendium a night.. I myself have never enjoyed reading comics this way as I do like to study the art.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12