Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Level

Advice Needed For a New Comic Reader

As I mentioned when I started posted on this forum I am a relatively new fan, of the show, I have never read the comics and since we have a good amount of time to wait, I went to the book store and good grief my eyes went like this trying to figure out what to buy There are the single volumes, 3 very large books that look like a bunch of the singles in one binder, then there are like 10-20 smaller but I think, multiple volumes.

My question, is there any difference, I could buy the large book and not have to carry a bunch of volumes. Also, the bookstore did not have all the volumes.

Just curious as to your advice. I would like to know TF in the comicverse

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Jaywalking Loiterer ShanesAddiction's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level
    Excellent question. In my opinion, the best way to get caught up on the comics is to buy the compendiums. The compendiums are the large (thick) books you referred to. Each one holds almost 50 individual issues. Not only does that make them easier to carry around, but the comics really are a fast read so you have enough material to keep you going for awhile. I'm sure there's a cost benefit to, I've just never done the math.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane's Addiction View Post
    Excellent question. In my opinion, the best way to get caught up on the comics is to buy the compendiums. The compendiums are the large (thick) books you referred to. Each one holds almost 50 individual issues. Not only does that make them easier to carry around, but the comics really are a fast read so you have enough material to keep you going for awhile. I'm sure there's a cost benefit to, I've just never done the math.
    Thank you so much. Also, are there rally 155? individual volumes (the small version)?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ENIDORDINE View Post
    Thank you so much. Also, are there rally 155? individual volumes (the small version)?
    There are 155 individual issues. The volumes are actually a little different. Each volume contains 6 or 8 individual issues.

Here's a website that explains everything a little more clearly: http://www.howtolovecomics.com/2013/...-walking-dead/

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Level
    Yes, above poster was correct... the Best way to read the Comics is buying the Compendiums... they cost around $30 each in Amazon... they have 3 of them out now, which covers almost to date... the only drawback is that u cant see the Covers of the Issues in the Comps... which might not mean too much to u now, but after u finished reading them and start reading them LIVE every month, u will see the Importance of the Covers...

go here... http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Th...(Comic_Series) ... to see all the Issues & Volumes overall... good luck in reading them, they are TOTALLY Different then the tv show and im sure u will Enjoy them Better then the show, lol... and also like the above poster stated, the comics are Easy to read cause they are Mainly just Pictures... and u can Zip by them pretty fast... each Comp is 1000 pages long so if u can knock off 1 a month, u will done in no time, lol ...☺...

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostie View Post
    Yes, above poster was correct... the Best way to read the Comics is buying the Compendiums... they cost around $30 each in Amazon... they have 3 of them out now, which covers almost to date... the only drawback is that u cant see the Covers of the Issues in the Comps... which might not mean too much to u now, but after u finished reading them and start reading them LIVE every month, u will see the Importance of the Covers...

go here... http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Th...(Comic_Series) ... to see all the Issues & Volumes overall... good luck in reading them, they are TOTALLY Different then the tv show and im sure u will Enjoy them Better then the show, lol... and also like the above poster stated, the comics are Easy to read cause they are Mainly just Pictures... and u can Zip by them pretty fast... each Comp is 1000 pages long so if u can knock off 1 a month, u will done in no time, lol ...☺...
    Another drawback with the compendiums is that they are extremely difficult to read with and carry around; moreover, if you care about keeping them in pristine condition it is a nightmare to do so. As a result, I prefer to collect the Hardcovers as they negate this, have more material than the standard volume and have bonus commentaries from Kirkman/Adlard at the end on the idea behind certain scenes/panels. And while it may cost a bit more, I find that it makes the comic more enjoyable to read without having to constantly fight with the pages to stay in position due to the thickness of the compendium's spine.

But it's up to you, OP. Just don't try to collect the singular issues as you'll likely spend the same amount of money as you would buying a private island.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Level
    The covers are cool - but just buy the compendiums and call it a day. That's what I did. I'm almost done with the 3rd one.

Plus, it always pays to buy in bulk.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravelord View Post
    Another drawback with the compendiums is that they are extremely difficult to read with and carry around; moreover, if you care about keeping them in pristine condition it is a nightmare to do so. As a result, I prefer to collect the Hardcovers as they negate this, have more material than the standard volume and have bonus commentaries from Kirkman/Adlard at the end on the idea behind certain scenes/panels. And while it may cost a bit more, I find that it makes the comic more enjoyable to read without having to constantly fight with the pages to stay in position due to the thickness of the compendium's spine.

But it's up to you, OP. Just don't try to collect the singular issues as you'll likely spend the same amount of money as you would buying a private island.
    I do get your point about the bulkiness of the Comps. I do most of my reading in bed with the book on my chest, so it made that a bit more challenging. However, I didn't have any issue with keeping them in good condition as I read them. Also, Comp 3 came with a pretty cool TWD poster. I don't remember if the first 2 had any additional goodies though.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane's Addiction View Post
    I do get your point about the bulkiness of the Comps. I do most of my reading in bed with the book on my chest, so it made that a bit more challenging. However, I didn't have any issue with keeping them in good condition as I read them. Also, Comp 3 came with a pretty cool TWD poster. I don't remember if the first 2 had any additional goodies though.
    Great point... im like u... i like to read my paperbacks in bed... But SHIT, those God Damn FAT Comps were 1000 pages Big and weighed like 10 Pounds, lol... and No Way i was able to read them in bed... so i got stuck reading them sitting on a chair to rest the book on the table... and ur right, if ur real careful, u can keep them in Mint condition... like i did, they still look Like New....

i havent bought Comp 3 yet, i have no need but i will to keep my collection going... i been reading the Issues Live every month since i finished Comp 2 ...☺...

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Level
    As I mentioned when I started posted on this forum I am a relatively new fan, of the show, I have never read the comics and since we have a good amount of time to wait, I went to the book store and good grief my eyes went like this trying to figure out what to buy There are the single volumes, 3 very large books that look like a bunch of the singles in one binder, then there are like 10-20 smaller but I think, multiple volumes.

My question, is there any difference, I could buy the large book and not have to carry a bunch of volumes. Also, the bookstore did not have all the volumes.

Just curious as to your advice. I would like to know TF in the comicverse

Thanks in advance.
    Like some people said above, single volumes you saw comprise of 6 issues each. The best way to catch up are certainly compendiums, there are 3 out now, each of them has 48 issues (which means 8 volumes), so by the time you finish the 3rd compendium, you will have read 144 issues, and the comics are now at issue 155 (issues come out once a month). After finishing 3rd compendium, you should either buy individual issues from 145 onward or you may buy volume 25 which has issues 145-150. Volume 26 that collects issues 151-156 comes out in September, but if you're caught up before then, you may just want to buy single issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast