1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Jaywalking Loiterer ShanesAddiction's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level

Books You Had to Put Down

So we have a very active thread about what everyone's currently reading, but nothing about books we've started reading, but lost interest in (and therefore "put them down").

I'll start with mine - Invisible, by James Patterson. Not sure why it started to bore me, but it certainly did. I just saw it in my bedside table and remembered that I never finished it.

What's one of yours?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Level
    OMG, what a interesting Thread to start.... for me, i have to go back close to 30 yeras ago, when my cousin suggested a book to read to help with my depression i was going through... But Shit, i Never finished it... i felt so Bad cause he Loved the book so much but i wasnt able to get through with it... sorry, i forgot the name of it... but im sure it's a book that most people has finished if they read it, lol...

But me personally, ive finished Every Book ive started since then... im a slow reader since im Not a book reader per say... i usually read One Book a Year maybe Two, but that's it, lol... but IDK, reading a book should be like watching a Long Movie... u have to to Finish it, right?, lol ...☺...

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Level
    I have this quirk that it bothers me if I don't finish a book. So this post is about a book so bad (for me anyway) that it took a month for me to finish and I felt relief when I finally put it down. Wicked by Gregory Maguire, the inspiration behind Wicked the broadway show. I liked the play, that I wanted to find out more so I bought the book. Boy was I in for a surprise. While the play draws you in this fantastic world, the book just confuses you. Instead of weaving a portrait with words, the author seems to insert unnecessary ones, just because (maybe to show how impressive his vocabulary is, if only that added to the story). I never labeled a book "bad" before, until this one. I also read another one of his, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Its a step up to Wicked but the same with lack of substantial plot and "fancy" words galore that goes nowhere. Too bad because the premise to explore the alternative view of the most common story is brilliant but his execution fell flat. I know, two books of the same author I didn't like... I don't know why I torture myself like that.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Level
    I should start by saying that I've never been able to finish a Dean Koontz book despite 3 attempts. I also had a bad habit of accidently buying softcore erotica when I worked in retail. I worked as a baker at the time at a grocery store that actually had a decent magazine/novel section. Since I read so much I used to just grab books with horror related cover/titles just to give them an honest shot. Needless to say I have probably read more stories about werewolves fucking than anyone else that doesn't actually have a fetish for it.

The book that stands out to me the most though is Storm of Swords. It doesn't technically count because I finished reading it, but after the Red Wedding and the Arya death fake out I threw that shit across the room.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Level
    Lmao. For me, the better question would be: What books haven't I put down? I'm an impatient person and I get very restless if I spend too much time sitting still doing things I'm not committed to, so if the book doesn't capture my interest fairly quickly or if I don't have a reason to know I'll love it, I'll put a book down. Usually I try to finish them but at a snail's pace, and when weeks and months have passed and I still haven't finished, I just abandon them.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Queen Rose of The Kingdom Carl's Right Eye's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    The Corrections by James Franzen. Horrible book and awful characters.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Level
    The last book I couldn't power through was "The return of Merlin" by Deepak Chopra. The fuckin guy has no self editing control.

The worst book I had to finish just because I wanted to tell myself I could was "The Road"- Cormac McCarthy, that was the hands down most depressing book that just never let the hell up

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Level
    Not quite the same but in undergrad I read American Psycho for comparative studies class. The book was incredibly brutal and honestly disgusting at points. I had to set it down several times and force myself to finish it for the grade.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velociman View Post
    Not quite the same but in undergrad I read American Psycho for comparative studies class. The book was incredibly brutal and honestly disgusting at points. I had to set it down several times and force myself to finish it for the grade.
    Damn. I actually find it to be a fascinating book and have read it several times. Probably shouldn't admit that.
    I usually finish every book that I start, but one that sticks in my memory is The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Everyone was raving about it and I thought the Illuminati aspect would make it interesting if nothing else. I didn't just put it down unfinished, I threw it. It was one of the biggest piles of crap that I ever read in my life.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Jaywalking Loiterer ShanesAddiction's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by whargoul View Post
    I should start by saying that I've never been able to finish a Dean Koontz book despite 3 attempts. I also had a bad habit of accidently buying softcore erotica when I worked in retail. I worked as a baker at the time at a grocery store that actually had a decent magazine/novel section. Since I read so much I used to just grab books with horror related cover/titles just to give them an honest shot. Needless to say I have probably read more stories about werewolves fucking than anyone else that doesn't actually have a fetish for it.

The book that stands out to me the most though is Storm of Swords. It doesn't technically count because I finished reading it, but after the Red Wedding and the Arya death fake out I threw that shit across the room.

HA! This cracks me up!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anton69 View Post
    The last book I couldn't power through was "The return of Merlin" by Deepak Chopra. The fuckin guy has no self editing control.
    Deepak. Oh my. I can totally understand this one!

- - - Updated - - -
    @Nimbus, how far did you get into DaVinci Code before you tossed it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast