Page 83 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #821
    Status
    beautiful and brilliant Cheekbones's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Level
    There is valid criticism of this and prior seasons (pacing, illogical plans, all of episode 3, smart characters making dumb decisions because they're written by dumb writers).

But a lot of what I've read has been incessant whining from people who projected their politics, or seem to think this is a romance story with a clear good vs. evil dichotomy even though GRRM has criticized contemporary fantasy for that. A lot of these people probably binge-watched the show with those goggles on looking for fictional characters to idolize and fictional romantic pairings to fawn over, seeing only what they wanted to for the ending they were "promised" even though no such promises were ever made. This series isn't made to validate your politics, ships or whatever the fuck else you think you're entitled to.

Especially as far as "Jonerys" is concerned - trying to justify the incest as them being aunt-nephew and not siblings so it's ok because the Lannisters and Freys and Craster (all glorious examples, I must say) did that. The series has shown negatives of Targaryen interbreeding unequivocally. So how does one watch it and think it will end with two Targs married, ruling the Seven Kingdoms with !boatbaby.

2. Back To Top    #822
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamUpBxtch View Post
    To me the destination means everything. The journey does not hold up if it all leads to shit.

In the case of GoT the journey was a massive waste of time because all it was leading to was a wet fart.
    Depends on the stories you were invested in.

If you were invested in a story where Jaime redeemed himself then sure but I wasn't looking for that out of the show. I also wasn't looking for Dany to be the savior of Westeros.

I'm fine with Dany as the mad queen and Jaime dying as a conflicted man that died because he couldn't make a choice. He died trying to save the world and his sister.

They were never really "my" characters anyway. The characters that I liked I enjoyed their entire story. I loved The Hound's story from start to finish. I loved Cersei's story from start to finish. I loved Theon's story from start to finish.

I don't really talk about it much but I even liked Melisandre a lot and I thought her story was told pretty well.

I'm still waiting to see how Bronn's story ends but I've liked every minute he's been on screen.

I didn't really care too much for Arya's story when she was training in Essos but all of her Westeros stuff I've liked.

Still waiting to see how Jon's story ends.

I'm not going to lose sleep over Sansa because I never liked her character. She's the Skyler White of Game of Thrones. I lost interest in Tyrion years ago. Once Tyrion left King's Landing that was basically it for him for me outside of a few moments here and there.

I think I've pretty much covered everyone, at least of the season 8 characters. There have been other great characters that died seasons ago too.

I'm not gonna just ignore my enjoyment of the show through the years just because the last season was rushed. It still hit all the points I wanted it to hit for the most part. Messy execution in some areas, sure, but it got there. I don't need it to end a perfect series for me to still think it's one of my favorite shows. I wouldn't like almost anything if I turned on a show just because it ended badly. Most shows have historically ended badly. I'm used to it at this point. Actually, I think the fact that Game of Thrones retained whatever quality it has left 8 years in is still impressive to me. How many shows have you seen that have been going 8 years (actually closer to 10) that still have good moments?

GOT is a unique series because its telling a bunch of stories at once so you can kinda pick and choose what to get invested in.

I don't even need it to end with someone on the throne. Maybe the story of Game of Thrones should just be that the throne is cancer. Everyone loses their shit over it. The Mad King was bad, Joffrey was bad, Cersei was bad and Dany is bad. Robert & Tommen weren't bad but it still destroyed them.

S8 could've been executed way better than it was if it wasn't rushed but I can't say I'm unhappy with it. Even the White Walkers I would've loved to see more with but I never needed a lot of explanation for them because I just looked at the story as them not really being important. They could've been anything. Could've been a fucking hurricane. A supernatural disaster that everyone let get out of control because they were too obsessed with the stoopit throne.

If Game of Thrones at it's peak is like 11/10 I'm not gonna suddenly throw it all away because the final season was a 7 or 8/10.

3. Back To Top    #823

4. Back To Top    #824
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Level
    I dunno. It really seems like he was trying to poison Dany.

Maybe Varys was just trying to provoke her. To expose her before it was too late even if it meant sacrificing himself. Intentionally doing shady stuff.

5. Back To Top    #825
    Status
    "We could arrange to have you carried." AdamUpBxtch's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    S8 could've been executed way better than it was if it wasn't rushed but I can't say I'm unhappy with it. Even the White Walkers I would've loved to see more with but I never needed a lot of explanation for them because I just looked at the story as them not really being important. They could've been anything. Could've been a fucking hurricane. A supernatural disaster that everyone let get out of control because they were too obsessed with the stoopit throne.
    The problem at hand, the whole point of the story was that the fight for the throne is pointless as death is coming for everyone. They threw that away for a generic war for the throne because all the casuals wanted that answered as opposed to the real threat. When since S1 the throne has caused nothing but death and destruction and no matter who ends up on it in the end if that Throne is still standing the cycle will continue no matter who becomes King so the whole story was moot as it ended the same way it started. Like I said a massive waste of time and death. We open with the white walkers in S1 so obviously they are the main over arching story and the true threat, the throne is irrelevant. The lords of Westeros laugh at those who warn them of this threat saying they don't exist, and D&D just proved all those lords right this season which is a JOKE.

6. Back To Top    #826
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheekbones View Post
    Especially as far as "Jonerys" is concerned - trying to justify the incest as them being aunt-nephew and not siblings so it's ok because the Lannisters and Freys and Craster (all glorious examples, I must say) did that. The series has shown negatives of Targaryen interbreeding unequivocally. So how does one watch it and think it will end with two Targs married, ruling the Seven Kingdoms with !boatbaby.
    ^^ THANK YOU

I always hated the idea of Jonerys and couldn't understand why people wanted them to get together even after we realized they were aunt-nephew and I like that they didn't commit to it completely in the end.

7. Back To Top    #827
    Status
    beautiful and brilliant Cheekbones's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Level
    ^^ THANK YOU

I always hated the idea of Jonerys and couldn't understand why people wanted them to get together even after we realized they were aunt-nephew and I like that they didn't commit to it completely in the end.
    Jon's true parentage was never really a big secret and they were shipping them before they appeared on screen together. So we had several scenes of fan service that never advanced the plot that could actually be spent properly developing Daenerys. To ship them you had to ignore all the underlying themes of the series and no, romance isn't one. Just look at the pairings, pretty much the only healthy one you have is Ned and Catelyn and even then that was sullied with her dying without ever knowing the truth that he didn't have a bastard son.

The problem at hand, the whole point of the story was that the fight for the throne is pointless as death is coming for everyone. They threw that away for a generic war for the throne because all the casuals wanted that answered as opposed to the real threat. When since S1 the throne has caused nothing but death and destruction and no matter who ends up on it in the end if that Throne is still standing the cycle will continue no matter who becomes King so the whole story was moot as it ended the same way it started. Like I said a massive waste of time and death. We open with the white walkers in S1 so obviously they are the main over arching story and the true threat, the throne is irrelevant. The lords of Westeros laugh at those who warn them of this threat saying they don't exist, and D&D just proved all those lords right this season which is a JOKE.
    I wouldn't even mind an ending where the wheel isn't broken. But this whole fight over the throne where Jon has a better claim because he's the son of Rhaegar and we must follow the line of succession so that means Daenerys doesn't have one is ridiculous after we've been told that the common people don't give an iota of a fuck who sits on the throne as long as they're left in peace. And Jon who had been to King's Landing all of once and Dragonstone and that's it has more love? Uh just in the North since others don't know who the fuck he is. It's not like this is a situation of Tywin and Aerys where people didn't love Tywin but respected him and knew he was behind the prosperity of the realm, which threatened Aerys. As far as the common folk see it, this is one person who talks about saving them from the white walkers (hahaha that is just Old Nan's story ya silly bitch) and a woman with a dragon.

8. Back To Top    #828
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Level
    Jon's true parentage was never really a big secret and they were shipping them before they appeared on screen together. So we had several scenes of fan service that never advanced the plot that could actually be spent properly developing Daenerys. To ship them you had to ignore all the underlying themes of the series and no, romance isn't one. Just look at the pairings, pretty much the only healthy one you have is Ned and Catelyn and even then that was sullied with her dying without ever knowing the truth that he didn't have a bastard son.

I wouldn't even mind an ending where the wheel isn't broken. But this whole fight over the throne where Jon has a better claim because he's the son of Rhaegar and we must follow the line of succession so that means Daenerys doesn't have one is ridiculous after we've been told that the common people don't give an iota of a fuck who sits on the throne as long as they're left in peace. And Jon who had been to King's Landing all of once and Dragonstone and that's it has more love? Uh just in the North since others don't know who the fuck he is. It's not like this is a situation of Tywin and Aerys where people didn't love Tywin but respected him and knew he was behind the prosperity of the realm, which threatened Aerys. As far as the common folk see it, this is one person who talks about saving them from the white walkers (hahaha that is just Old Nan's story ya silly bitch) and a woman with a dragon.
    I meant before the casuals who didn't read up on fan theories realized who he was. They were still shipping them after and I've never been a fan of any incest and it has always been shown in a negative light in this show/books so the fact that anyone thought they were gonna end up together blows my mind.

9. Back To Top    #829
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Level
    I meant before the casuals who didn't read up on fan theories realized who he was. They were still shipping them after and I've never been a fan of any incest and it has always been shown in a negative light in this show/books so the fact that anyone thought they were gonna end up together blows my mind.
    Actually, incest at the cousins level was quite common and wasn't actually considered incest. Look at some family tree's...

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comm..._your_cousins/

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Incest

From the second link: "The two main religions practiced in the Seven Kingdoms, the
    Faith of the Seven and the old gods, consider incest to be a vile sin.[2][3] However in Westeros incest is only applied if father lays with daughter, mother lays with son, or brother to sister, and the children of such unions are considered abominations.[4] In marriage customs, it is acceptable and in fact quite common among the nobility for cousins to wed."

However, I would argue that full aunt/uncle to nephew/niece would be the same as getting it on with your mother or father (whichever the aunt/uncle is through) and hence it would be a vile sin and considered incest. It would have been nice if Varys had said something more like that rather than incest in general isn't practiced in the north...when it kind of is. Also, i personally think the whole hook-up between Dany and Jon was just fan service and won't happen in the books...but who knows...we may never know.

10. Back To Top    #830
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Level
    That and Robert won it through conquest. So doesn't that wipe the slate clean? If Dany were to come through and win it then she would win it through conquest and who cares about Jon's parentage. He also pledged himself to the black at one point...not sure what will happen in the books concerning him giving it up etc since Stannis is still alive to get back Winterfell from the Boltons. Maester Aemon Targaryan, was the last of his line at one point and he passed over the throne so Jon should easily be able to do so too if he doesn't want it. So ridiculous and just some last minute tactic to justify Dany going to crazy town.

Page 83 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast