Forgot your username?

Page 93 of 97 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #921
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Level
    If Drogon wanted he could've killed Jon. It's funny how some people thought that he might be immune to dragon fire as if that made him safe from Drogon. I mean we know he can be burned based on stuff in previous seasons but dragon fire could always be different than regular fire but it doesn't really change things even if he was safe from it. Drogon wouldn't need fire to kill Jon. He's got teeth, claws, a tail. Hell, he could fly Jon far up in the sky and drop him to his death if he wanted to.

I'm not sure why he didn't kill Jon. I doubt it was the Targaryen in him. I assume maybe it's because he knew Dany loved Jon and Jon loved Dany and even though in the future she may have turned on Jon as she got crazier and crazier, in that moment she still loved Jon and wouldn't have wanted anything to happen to him and I've heard that the dragons in that universe are actually really smart. Drogon probably knew that if Jon killed Dany it was because he had to and not because he wanted to. Drogon chose to blame the throne instead of Jon. Which is actually very intelligent to be able to understand that her obsession with the throne was what got her killed.

Either that or he's just retarded and thought she tripped on to one of the blades on the throne.

I'll never be able to understand the Unsullied/Dothraki situation though. Like I said in a previous post. That I think is the biggest mistake they made. Everything else I can live with. But that was just sloppy. He killed someone that savages worshipped and fought like hell for a very long time for. They aren't political people. They wouldn't understand or care about any of that crap. They wouldn't even understand what a Night's Watch is. That's something that will probably be handled way better in the books but it just would've been hard to wrap that up in the TV show with the time they had left.

I heard someone, I think IGN, say that the last 35 minutes should've been an entire season but that's just dumb. I think more stuff could've been expanded before Dany's death but you are retarded if you think they should've given us a whole season after her death. Nobody would've liked that. Sounds great on paper but in execution there would be next to no drama because it's all good characters and the closest thing to a bad guy would be Grey Worm. That just wouldn't work. Not on TV at least.

Jon's punishment is hilarious. His punishment is going to a place that he likes to be with his dog and his 2nd closest friend. A place where he can breathe and have his personal space and not have to live up to his family's reputation and not be responsible for the fate of the entire world (twice!) but also at the same time the people there love and respect him. Both the Wildlings and the Night's Watch. He basically gets to live at his version of Disneyland. It's ridiculous and I get why some wouldn't like it but I don't get the Jon fans that are mad that he didn't get the throne. Jon wasn't in to that. Even less than Robert. Jon also would've been terrible at it. He's not a ruler. He's a good fighter but that's about it. Him sitting in a chair ordering people around would be a disaster. He also didn't grow up like Robb, Sansa or even Bran to a lesser extent (because of his age) where they knew one day they would be in power and were being groomed for it. Jon was never considered for any of that stuff. He wasn't groomed for anything. He probably knew from a very young age he was going to join The Night's Watch so a future with him as king doesn't make a ton of sense. It's so out of his wheelhouse. Even if he is the rightful heir, that doesn't mean he was best suited for it and either way none of that shit matters because Dany broke the wheel. Nobody will ever be king/queen again because of their blood. Well, other than Sansa. LOL. She 100% got her throne because of her blood. But The North is independent so I guess they don't have to follow the same rules as The South.

2. Back To Top    #922
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If he gave them a different ending from the one in the books HBO could probably sue him. That would be sabotaging the show to protect his story that HBO paid for. It's one thing if he doesn't have answers for D&D because he didn't write them yet so they gotta figure it out themselves but it's another thing to go out of your way to tell them something happens that doesn't actually happen.

So my guess is the big shit all happens in the books. Maybe they connect a little differently but that's about it. Bran will for sure be king. Dany will for sure go mad. I think these 2 things in particular make sense if you go all the way back to the start. The story starts with Bran so it was probably always going to end with Bran as king. Tyrion's pitch to make Bran the king is the story Rail Road wanted to tell. How the boy that fell to the very bottom wheeled his way all the way up to the very top with a bunch of crazy shit in between.
    I'm guessing what he gave them is where he was intending the story to end up (Bran on throne, Dany dead, Jon a Queenslayer), but I think most authors would tell you that you can't always dictate to characters - they have their own ideas & take the story places the author might not have expected. What I mean is the book version may end up being a bit different after all, if that's where the story ends up going, & especially if he takes on board some of the criticism being directed at this last season. And even if it does end up being the same he'll still tell it in a lot better-paced & logical manner than Dumb & Dumber did.

I do agree with you about Dany & the Dothraki, though.

3. Back To Top    #923
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet One View Post
    even if it does end up being the same he'll still tell it in a lot better-paced & logical manner than Dumb & Dumber did.
    I agree with that. But he's also had 23+ years to write the story, doesn't have to work with a production team or other writers, gets to finish his own story instead of trying to piece together someone else's because it's not finished. He can write in his undies stuffing his face with cheetos having the time of his life. He could add as many pages as he wants, he could add another book of he wanted to. That's why most fuckin nerds people seem to prefer books over adaptions in almost every scenario.

D&D tried to get it done in 6 episodes. I think they did about as good as they could've in 6 episodes. Though it was really more like 4 episodes because 2 of them were action heavy with almost no dialogue. Obviously it wouldn't have been my choice to do it all in 6 episodes. That's the one thing everyone will agree is how rushed this season is. I don't think it makes them dumb though. I don't even think they made a lot of dumb decisions. The problem is they needed more episode time to make more decisions that connected all the things better. D&D is still responsible for a whole lot of good shit in the show that didn't happen in the books through the years. I'm still really looking forward to stuff they do next when they get to be in better control of what they are creating. Telling their story instead trying to tell another man's story. I really hope the SJW's don't win and D&D get to make their Confederate show on HBO.

I do think they wanted to be done with it though. Not because of Star Wars like people think. I think they were done before that ever got announced. I think it's a mix of being upset with Rail Road for being too slow and they were just getting burned out because they put a decade in to the show and Game of Thrones isn't like your average show. It's not fun to go to work to do Game of Thrones. It's basically a 10 year long intense movie shoot that is all split up in multiple areas. It's not like doing a fun low budget project with all your friends in one area. There is so many moving parts to Game of Thrones. So many departments. And even just D&D have to constantly travel back and fourth. It's still a rewarding experience when it's all done but exhausting as fuck. It doesn't excuse their execution of Season 8 but I can see why they may have been getting burned out. It's arguably the biggest project in the history of entertainment and no one will really understand how hard it is other than those 2 guys because they are the only 2 guys that have ever had to run something like that. Something of that size for a decade and then the challenges of adapting a story that isn't finished even though Rail Road had them thinking he would be.

4. Back To Top    #924
    Status
    Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Level

5. Back To Top    #925
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Level
    I want a Tywin Lannister spinoff so bad.

Specifically during the time period of the Reyne-Tarbeck revolt. Yknow, the events that the song "The Rains of Castamere" is based on. House Reyne of Castamere's destruction. The REYNES of Castamere.

House Lannister was about to fall because Tywin's father was weak and lost the respect of the people and Tywin at a young age by himself was able to turn it all around for his house and make people fear them. That really was the beginning moment of the House Lannister that we see in Game of Thrones.

It's a spinoff that works because it's not too closely connected to Game of Thrones that it would really ruin anything but it's close enough that there would be a bunch of connections. Like The Mad King was once best friends with Tywin before he went mad when they were still young. (Tyrion & Dany's fathers)

We could see the Targaryens while they were still in power. Which is something we've never seen.

We could probably meet another member of House Clegane. I'm not exactly sure how the timeline lines up with this but either their father or grandfather. Hopefully he'd be a beast too.

We could meet a younger Walder Frey too.

That's about it though. Tywin, Kevan and Walder would probably be the only characters that appeared in GOT that would be featured. Maybe Barristan Selmy. The old fuckers.

It's basically the time period before the time period before Game of Thrones. Robert ending The Mad King's reign is what sets up the events in Game of Thrones. It was like the last big event. Well in this series it would be just before Aerys II got the throne (or maybe even a little after depending on how long they wanted it to go)

This series would be about Tywin Lannister & Aerys II Targaryen's rise to the top where as Game of Thrones was about their houses being defeated. You could argue that even though House Lannister and House Targaryen (through Dany) held the most power throughout Game of Thrones they are the ones that went on to lose the Game of Thrones in the end.

6. Back To Top    #926
    Status
    "We could arrange to have you carried." AdamUpBxtch's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Level
    I want a Tywin Lannister spinoff so bad.

Specifically during the time period of the Reyne-Tarbeck revolt. Yknow, the events that the song "The Rains of Castamere" is based on. House Reyne of Castamere's destruction. The REYNES of Castamere.

House Lannister was about to fall because Tywin's father was weak and lost the respect of the people and Tywin at a young age by himself was able to turn it all around for his house and make people fear them. That really was the beginning moment of the House Lannister that we see in Game of Thrones.

It's a spinoff that works because it's not too closely connected to Game of Thrones that it would really ruin anything but it's close enough that there would be a bunch of connections. Like The Mad King was once best friends with Tywin before he went mad when they were still young. (Tyrion & Dany's fathers)

We could see the Targaryens while they were still in power. Which is something we've never seen.

We could probably meet another member of House Clegane. I'm not exactly sure how the timeline lines up with this but either their father or grandfather. Hopefully he'd be a beast too.

We could meet a younger Walder Frey too.

That's about it though. Tywin, Kevan and Walder would probably be the only characters that appeared in GOT that would be featured. Maybe Barristan Selmy. The old fuckers.

It's basically the time period before the time period before Game of Thrones. Robert ending The Mad King's reign is what sets up the events in Game of Thrones. It was like the last big event. Well in this series it would be just before Aerys II got the throne (or maybe even a little after depending on how long they wanted it to go)

This series would be about Tywin Lannister & Aerys II Targaryen's rise to the top where as Game of Thrones was about their houses being defeated. You could argue that even though House Lannister and House Targaryen (through Dany) held the most power throughout Game of Thrones they are the ones that went on to lose the Game of Thrones in the end.
    I gotta say I'd be down for a Reyne Rebellion mini series (Mainly because Tywin is my favorite character lol). Only think that would suck about a Tywin spin off is not having Charles Dance's presence (since Tywin would be 19 you'd need a younger actor). Unless you used De-aging tech which I wouldn't mind but I doubt HBO would put in the money for it and it would cost a lot to make Charles look 19 lol. Walder Frey on the other hand could still be played by David Bradley because he'd still be in his 50s lol. Which I wouldn't mind at all David is a world class actor and played Walder Frey brilliantly. Sucks were never able to have David and Charles in a scene together.

Gregor and Sandor's father was the founder of House Clegane because he saved Tywin's father Tytos from a Lioness with 3 dogs (which is why House Clegane's sigil is a 3 dogs) so it would be their father and it would be cool to see their father saving Tywin's. I don't think their father would be a beast tho considering he was a kennel-master before becoming a lord but ya never know.

7. Back To Top    #927
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Level
    No spinoffs, no prequels. The best part about not seeing the past events is that it helps us see them through the lens of the current characters ie; legends and folklore.

8. Back To Top    #928
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Level
    If he gave them a different ending from the one in the books HBO could probably sue him. That would be sabotaging the show to protect his story that HBO paid for. It's one thing if he doesn't have answers for D&D because he didn't write them yet so they gotta figure it out themselves but it's another thing to go out of your way to tell them something happens that doesn't actually happen.

So my guess is the big shit all happens in the books. Maybe they connect a little differently but that's about it. Bran will for sure be king. Dany will for sure go mad. I think these 2 things in particular make sense if you go all the way back to the start. The story starts with Bran so it was probably always going to end with Bran as king. Tyrion's pitch to make Bran the king is the story Rail Road wanted to tell. How the boy that fell to the very bottom wheeled his way all the way up to the very top with a bunch of crazy shit in between.

And Dany I think the signs were there all the way back to the beginning too with Khal Drogo and the Dothraki. If you wanted to tell the story about her growing in to a hero why would half her soldiers be savages? The Dothraki were always going to run through King's Landing slaughtering people. They didn't stop being themselves just because they chose to follow Dany. They still enjoy doing horrible shit. Even if it's their way of life and all they know a true hero would not want to lead them. Not unless they changed but they didn't. They don't follow her because they believe in her message and want to be good. At first they followed her because of Drogo and then they followed her because they think she's a goddess with badass dragons.
    I don't think GRRM even knows the ending himself. D&D, according to them, knew the 'outcome' for 5 years. They had 5 years to come up with a way to get where everyone left off in S4 to where they ended up in S8. GRRM writes 'gardener' style where he plants a bunch of seeds and then sees which ones take fruition. HBO can't sue if he said himself he doesn't know how it will end.

GRRM has said since SEASON 1, there will be a butterfly effect. These are two different mediums and the showrunners decided to eliminate certain characters partially and/or entirely. They then decided to focus on mainly just a few...the Starks and the Lannisters and Dany/Targs...which is fine. I can totally understand why they did certain things as it probably just made better sense in the medium they are working with.

However, five years ago, they knew where these characters needed to end up...and they chose to wait until the final season and rush a bunch of plot points. That is on them...not GRRM. HBO offered more money, asked for more seasons, even more episodes these last two seasons...D&D said no...fine. It was D&D's decision to do more spectacle story than content/logic. They opted for the 'surprise' vs. a good narrative.

Now i think what they did visually on this show and in this season is outright amazing...and I kind of agree with Sophie Turner about that petition being disrespectful. A lot of hard work went into this season and series, it is just a shame that D&D were in such a rush at the end to finish it. I actually don't have any issues with where the characters ended up...it isn't my story to tell...i just wish they did it more logically based than spectacle based and took the time to show the progression into madness or whatever. They had 5 years or 4 seasons or 33 episodes to show Dany was prone to madness. They had all this time, to maybe do one season of the Great War and one season of the Last War...and if they needed to kill Cersei and Jamie in S6 say...then they should have done it!

The books will absolutely be different...there is no way they can not be. There are characters in the books that have never been in the show. For all we know fAegon is sitting in KL when Dany goes to conquer it...or maybe they try to take over at the same time and he is the one who kills her. I think what will be the same is that Dany is killed (or she marries 'death' and is hence dead), Jon is either still in the NW or decided to go be one of the free folk (i think that was deliberately left unclear), Cersei is dead, Jamie is dead...and for the rest...i don't know. Sam is a grand maester? With a child on the way? Unless they become a lot more progressive than the show indicated I can't see that...or Bronn become the master of coin, or Brienne being the commander of the King's Guard...but who knows...maybe someday we will actually find out.

Also, the story didn't start with Bran, it started north of the wall with the white walkers. I THINK the next scene is when they go to behead that guy who ran and it kind of all the Starks...and on the way home it is Jon who finds the wolves...

9. Back To Top    #929
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Level
    Sounds like Summer of 2020 that George is thinking Winds should be out by! Maybe...LOL we shall see George we shall see...

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2...s-new-zealand/

10. Back To Top    #930
    Status
    "We could arrange to have you carried." AdamUpBxtch's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranna156 View Post
    I don't think GRRM even knows the ending himself. D&D, according to them, knew the 'outcome' for 5 years. They had 5 years to come up with a way to get where everyone left off in S4 to where they ended up in S8. GRRM writes 'gardener' style where he plants a bunch of seeds and then sees which ones take fruition. HBO can't sue if he said himself he doesn't know how it will end.

GRRM has said since SEASON 1, there will be a butterfly effect. These are two different mediums and the showrunners decided to eliminate certain characters partially and/or entirely. They then decided to focus on mainly just a few...the Starks and the Lannisters and Dany/Targs...which is fine. I can totally understand why they did certain things as it probably just made better sense in the medium they are working with.

However, five years ago, they knew where these characters needed to end up...and they chose to wait until the final season and rush a bunch of plot points. That is on them...not GRRM. HBO offered more money, asked for more seasons, even more episodes these last two seasons...D&D said no...fine. It was D&D's decision to do more spectacle story than content/logic. They opted for the 'surprise' vs. a good narrative.

Now i think what they did visually on this show and in this season is outright amazing...and I kind of agree with Sophie Turner about that petition being disrespectful. A lot of hard work went into this season and series, it is just a shame that D&D were in such a rush at the end to finish it. I actually don't have any issues with where the characters ended up...it isn't my story to tell...i just wish they did it more logically based than spectacle based and took the time to show the progression into madness or whatever. They had 5 years or 4 seasons or 33 episodes to show Dany was prone to madness. They had all this time, to maybe do one season of the Great War and one season of the Last War...and if they needed to kill Cersei and Jamie in S6 say...then they should have done it!

The books will absolutely be different...there is no way they can not be. There are characters in the books that have never been in the show. For all we know fAegon is sitting in KL when Dany goes to conquer it...or maybe they try to take over at the same time and he is the one who kills her. I think what will be the same is that Dany is killed (or she marries 'death' and is hence dead), Jon is either still in the NW or decided to go be one of the free folk (i think that was deliberately left unclear), Cersei is dead, Jamie is dead...and for the rest...i don't know. Sam is a grand maester? With a child on the way? Unless they become a lot more progressive than the show indicated I can't see that...or Bronn become the master of coin, or Brienne being the commander of the King's Guard...but who knows...maybe someday we will actually find out.

Also, the story didn't start with Bran, it started north of the wall with the white walkers. I THINK the next scene is when they go to behead that guy who ran and it kind of all the Starks...and on the way home it is Jon who finds the wolves...
    Yeah in book and show they both start with the nights watch brothers beyond the wall getting killed by the walkers.

I never saw the petition as being disrespectful to the cast or crew. The only arguments defending this season have literally been "Fuck you the cast and crew were great". When literally nobody who is criticizing this season or the show is complaining about the cast or crew who did fantastic with the shitty material they were given they're complaining about D&D and the writing.

The petition is a "fuck you" to D&D and the writing. Not the cast and crew. Nobody who signed that petition really thinks HBO is gonna redo the season they're showing their frustration.

Page 93 of 97 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast