1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Jaywalking Loiterer ShanesAddiction's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level

Dead Wake: the Last Crossing of the Lusitania

I'm almost finished reading this book by Erik Larson. Although it's non-fiction, it's not the dry, preachy kind. It actually has a narrative voice because it presents the real life goings on of a variety of the ship's passengers.

But that 's not what I've found most interesting about this book.

What has intrigued me the most is what I've learned about how the British Admiralty handled (or mishandled) the impending disaster. I don't want to give too much away, but I'd love to hear some opinions from those of you who are somewhat knowledgeable on this topic. Do you think the British allowed the disaster in order to force the hand of the U.S. in regard to joining the war? And for those who know about President Wilson's tenure in office, do you think he was far too distracted by his love life to fully engage in world affairs?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Queen Rose of The Kingdom Carl's Right Eye's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    I enjoyed Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City so thanks for mentioning this one @Shane's Addiction. I'll put it on my reading list and will be happy to discuss it with you.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    But everyone knew her as Nancy Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1271 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane's Addiction View Post
    I'm almost finished reading this book by Erik Larson. Although it's non-fiction, it's not the dry, preachy kind. It actually has a narrative voice because it presents the real life goings on of a variety of the ship's passengers.

But that 's not what I've found most interesting about this book.

What has intrigued me the most is what I've learned about how the British Admiralty handled (or mishandled) the impending disaster. I don't want to give too much away, but I'd love to hear some opinions from those of you who are somewhat knowledgeable on this topic. Do you think the British allowed the disaster in order to force the hand of the U.S. in regard to joining the war? And for those who know about President Wilson's tenure in office, do you think he was far too distracted by his love life to fully engage in world affairs?
    I read this awhile back. Erik Larson is a great researcher and writer who has a way of turning a history book into a story you can't put down. I have read this one, Devil in White City (as has @Carl's Right Eye), and In the Garden of Beasts and recommend them highly.

It certainly appeared that the British might have been trying to force the U.S.'s hand in allowing this to happen. It also looks like the Brits were between a rock and a hard place in that they had cracked the Germans' code but to act on what they knew would give it away that they had.

The story of the Lusitania towers over the story of the Titanic, both in detail and historical significance. It's also far more interesting (to me), and I was fascinated with the story of the Titanic. I don't see how anybody who picks up this book will be able to put it down.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Jaywalking Loiterer ShanesAddiction's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level
    @Beatrce and @Carl's Right Eye, I just looked up his other books to find out about the ones you both mentioned....

http://eriklarsonbooks.com/the-books/

....and WOW. This guy really immerses himself in his subject matter. I'm glad I discovered him with the Lusitania book, and I'm definitely adding Devil and Garden to my list. Isaac's Storm and the Naked Consumer look really intriguing to me as well.
    @Beatrice, with regard to the Brits being between a rock and a hard place about the German code they'd cracked, I'm just wondering if the other ships that U22 sank during that patch of days wouldn't have given them enough of an excuse to be paranoid about Lusiania's safety and if it could've explained away them having protected her. It's soooo suspicious!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane's Addiction View Post
    @Beatrce and @Carl's Right Eye, I just looked up his other books to find out about the ones you both mentioned....

http://eriklarsonbooks.com/the-books/

....and WOW. This guy really immerses himself in his subject matter. I'm glad I discovered him with the Lusitania book, and I'm definitely adding Devil and Garden to my list. Isaac's Storm and the Naked Consumer look really intriguing to me as well.
    @Beatrice, with regard to the Brits being between a rock and a hard place about the German code they'd cracked, I'm just wondering if the other ships that U22 sank during that patch of days wouldn't have given them enough of an excuse to be paranoid about Lusiania's safety and if it could've explained away them having protected her. It's soooo suspicious!
    Thanks so much for these recommendations - I'm putting the Lusitania book on my wish list.

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't resist - just ordered it

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Level
    Just got Last Crossing and White City delivered, and started the first yesterday. He's a fine writer/researcher as said here and thank you for the recommendations - excellent!