Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
  1. Back To Top    #121
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranna156 View Post
    i always thought Fags were a British term for actual cigs...we do have lolli-pops which are are sweet piece of hard candy on a stick. AKA as suckers or depending on the brand or if something else is inside them could be referred to as dum-dums, blow-pops, tootsie-pops etc. I do recall candy cigarettes but they were called that from what i recall and weren't exactly 'hard'...sort of like a softer version of a fun dip stick in the shape of a cigarette and i think they did have a red tip...i wonder if that is what you are referring to?...and there were also these gum like cigarettes that had a paper around it and some kind of powder that you could blow into and 'smoke' would puff out. Then there were the "chew" foods...big league chew which were strips of gum in a pouch and really fine beef jerky that came in a can like a snuff tin. I don't think you could find anything like that anymore. And the advertising...the Marlboro man and Joe Camel were everywhere...magazines, billboards, etc...I don't think you can find that anymore these days.

By the time I got to HS the age for smoking was 18...and no one could smoke on school property...even adults during functions etc...but that was the 90's by then. In 1985 I was 7 and I could buy cigarettes...and there was a lot of candy for kids that 'promoted' smoking.
    I found a picture!

They were definitely hard - I can't remember the flavour but I do remember holding them & pretending to blow smoke. I guess eventually they'd get all mushy & dissolve, but I can't remember that bit, lol.

And yes, fags is British slang for cigarettes - we used to use it here as well but it's not common these days (we say ciggies or durries instead).

2. Back To Top    #122
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet One View Post
    I found a picture!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1b/de...df4144e679.jpg

They were definitely hard - I can't remember the flavour but I do remember holding them & pretending to blow smoke. I guess eventually they'd get all mushy & dissolve, but I can't remember that bit, lol.

And yes, fags is British slang for cigarettes - we used to use it here as well but it's not common these days (we say ciggies or durries instead).
    I think we are talking about the same thing...just in the US they were called candy cigarettes but in AUS they are called Fags! LOL. Technically they were a hard candy I guess, but when i think of hard candy I think of things like Jolly Ranchers etc. They definitely weren't soft like taffy or anything...semi-hard? LOL

3. Back To Top    #123
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1242 Post(s)
    Level
    I think we are talking about the same thing...just in the US they were called candy cigarettes but in AUS they are called Fags! LOL. Technically they were a hard candy I guess, but when i think of hard candy I think of things like Jolly Ranchers etc. They definitely weren't soft like taffy or anything...semi-hard? LOL

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/000...g?v=1522355594
    I remember the candy cigarettes as being chalky.

I don't recall there being a minimum smoking age in Texas until whenever it became illegal to buy them unless 21. Heck, our parents used to send us to the 7-11 on our bicycles for their smokes, and nobody batted an eyelash. We could not smoke in school, although boys used to light up in the restroom. "Smoking in the Boys' Room" was more than just a song!

I dunno, my generation was the first to really wail and gnash our teeth over smoking, as most of our parents smoked while we were growing up. Exposure to it certainly wasn't the enticement its racked up to be. One could say exposure to it is a deterrent, although even I can desire a cigarette when watching The Sopranos or any other older show where the main characters always had a cigarette in one hand.

4. Back To Top    #124
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    I remember the candy cigarettes as being chalky.

I don't recall there being a minimum smoking age in Texas until whenever it became illegal to buy them unless 21. Heck, our parents used to send us to the 7-11 on our bicycles for their smokes, and nobody batted an eyelash. We could not smoke in school, although boys used to light up in the restroom. "Smoking in the Boys' Room" was more than just a song!

I dunno, my generation was the first to really wail and gnash our teeth over smoking, as most of our parents smoked while we were growing up. Exposure to it certainly wasn't the enticement its racked up to be. One could say exposure to it is a deterrent, although even I can desire a cigarette when watching The Sopranos or any other older show where the main characters always had a cigarette in one hand.
    Chalky! That is a great description lol. and wow...you can't buy cigs unless 21? Is that everywhere or just Texas? Ugh if it is a federal thing they should seriously not let you join the military until 21!

And yeah...i said in an earlier post that i could and did buy cigs when i was like 5 (for my mom) but by the time i was in HS i couldn't buy them. I wonder if that is part of the reason that the birth years of like 77-81 is sometimes referred to as Gen Xennial or something like that. LOL

5. Back To Top    #125
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1242 Post(s)
    Level
    Chalky! That is a great description lol. and wow...you can't buy cigs unless 21? Is that everywhere or just Texas? Ugh if it is a federal thing they should seriously not let you join the military until 21!

And yeah...i said in an earlier post that i could and did buy cigs when i was like 5 (for my mom) but by the time i was in HS i couldn't buy them. I wonder if that is part of the reason that the birth years of like 77-81 is sometimes referred to as Gen Xennial or something like that. LOL
    I just looked it up, and it's 18 to buy cigs in TX, not 21. I could swear I saw a "you have to be 21 to buy cigarettes" in 7-11 the other day.

I actually did smoke. I quit about a year ago. Every once in awhile I'll want one, especially when watching certain shows. I have to remind myself of how crappy they made me feel and how expensive they are. I've thought about vaping, but I've broken the nicotine addiction so would use the 0% nicotine; but I'm afraid if I start that, I'll end up buying the nicotine ones again, and all my achievement will have been for naught. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin because one of the things it does is inhibit nicotine cravings in former smokers. It works great!

I think after the Boomers, of which I am one, came the Gen-Xers, maybe the Gen-Yers (I don't know if they are a real thing, and I'm too lazy to Google) and then the Millenials. One thing I've noticed is that the world seems to wake up to a new world with every generation, with the next generation wanting to fight the same wars we did that we thought we had won. I won't go any further on that tangent in this thread.

The thing is, I don't know if smoking on TV and, specifically, in Stranger Things contributes to smoking in kids (or anybody). It's rather weird to me that, while scientific studies seem to take years (e.g. drug studies) certain studies surface almost immediately after a group supporting one issue or another comes out (usually against). Studies are paid for - statisticians have bills to pay just like the rest of us. Having studied statistics and having a best friend who is a statistics professor, I know you can make numbers tell you just about anything you want them to.

Basically, I've decided nobody knows why anybody does anything; and our innate desire to read minds and know the future causes us (not me) to fall in love with anybody who tells us not only what we want to hear but that anybody who doesn't believe it is evil.

I say let the characters on cable TV do what they want. Cable shows attract the audiences the networks lost due to the party poopers who kept bitching and filing complaints with the FCC about them. Network TV is disgustingly sanitized, so the whiners should stick to those and be happy; but noooOOOOooo, they want to make sure I don't see something they don't want me to see. I don't have young children, so I don't care what mine watch; but if I did and could, it would be MY job to keep them from watching shows I don't think they should be watching and not my job to ensure that what I don't want my children to see should not be available for anyone to see.

6. Back To Top    #126
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Level
    I just looked it up, and it's 18 to buy cigs in TX, not 21. I could swear I saw a "you have to be 21 to buy cigarettes" in 7-11 the other day.

I actually did smoke. I quit about a year ago. Every once in awhile I'll want one, especially when watching certain shows. I have to remind myself of how crappy they made me feel and how expensive they are. I've thought about vaping, but I've broken the nicotine addiction so would use the 0% nicotine; but I'm afraid if I start that, I'll end up buying the nicotine ones again, and all my achievement will have been for naught. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin because one of the things it does is inhibit nicotine cravings in former smokers. It works great!

I think after the Boomers, of which I am one, came the Gen-Xers, maybe the Gen-Yers (I don't know if they are a real thing, and I'm too lazy to Google) and then the Millenials. One thing I've noticed is that the world seems to wake up to a new world with every generation, with the next generation wanting to fight the same wars we did that we thought we had won. I won't go any further on that tangent in this thread.

The thing is, I don't know if smoking on TV and, specifically, in Stranger Things contributes to smoking in kids (or anybody). It's rather weird to me that, while scientific studies seem to take years (e.g. drug studies) certain studies surface almost immediately after a group supporting one issue or another comes out (usually against). Studies are paid for - statisticians have bills to pay just like the rest of us. Having studied statistics and having a best friend who is a statistics professor, I know you can make numbers tell you just about anything you want them to.

Basically, I've decided nobody knows why anybody does anything; and our innate desire to read minds and know the future causes us (not me) to fall in love with anybody who tells us not only what we want to hear but that anybody who doesn't believe it is evil.

I say let the characters on cable TV do what they want. Cable shows attract the audiences the networks lost due to the party poopers who kept bitching and filing complaints with the FCC about them. Network TV is disgustingly sanitized, so the whiners should stick to those and be happy; but noooOOOOooo, they want to make sure I don't see something they don't want me to see. I don't have young children, so I don't care what mine watch; but if I did and could, it would be MY job to keep them from watching shows I don't think they should be watching and not my job to ensure that what I don't want my children to see should not be available for anyone to see.
    thanks for this @Beatrice...there is a lot I personally would like to address and hope i don't forget anything.

I too am a former smoker...and although i could buy them at a young age, by the time I started smoking I couldn't buy them. It wasn't the gum or candy or jerky or even my parents smoking...it was really starting to be looked down upon by then...what got me hooked was a friend of mine trying to teach me to inhale...i was like I don't smoke so why do i need to inhale anything...eventually she talked me into it and i couldn't do it...by the time I could (which was maybe a few tries/days later) i was hooked. I DO THINK that part of the problem was that I was probably already partially addicted due to my parents smoking. I have friends whose parents smoked and they never did until they went to college and were away from it...I THINK they were already addicted...anyway...i have tried quitting many times...most successfully with Chantix although that is a VERY VERY hard drug to take. I don't know how many time i have quit and then started back up again...i am currently a non-smoker although for my most recent 'quit' i decided i wasn't never going to smoke again...that kind of thinking doesn't work for me. Instead I have a pack of non-nicotine chocolate cigarrettes i keep on hand...so for those times when i want a cig i smoke one of those...or i will take a pack of those if I am going into a situation where I will be around smokers...so far it is working and on the occasion that i do smoke a regular cig i find a. I can't finish it and b. i usually don't have any trouble going without again. This works for me so i continue it. If i am watching something like ST and start to crave one i just go to bed or something...and by morning my issue is resolved. I will say that I think ST smoking is more dangerous to ex smokers than young non smoking kids. I got a DUI once and had to take this class...it is REALLY interesting all the thought that goes into advertising and targeting addicts...granted that was for alcohol but tobacco is probably the hardest addiction to break...and if you didn't notice it was NAME BRAND cigs in ST...not some random cigs...those advertisers paid and paid big time...probably to target those 80's quitters! IF that had been the topic i would probably be all for it but instead it is just bull shit.

FYI generation Y is the same as the Millennial generation...they changed the name at some point...Gen Y were the people who would be 'adults' in the year 2000 or the new millennial...me...i really feel like a cusper being born in 78...not quite millenial/y or x but something in between all of that...

7. Back To Top    #127
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/000...g?v=1522355594
    They do look very similar - I think "chalky" is probably the right description. I haven't had one since I was a kid but I'm pretty sure you could break them by chewing, which you couldn't do with a hard lolly - er, candy. Not without needing a dentist, lol.

8. Back To Top    #128
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Level

Some states, including mine, just raised the age to 21 in May of this year and there's been a lot of buzz about other states following suit so maybe that's why you thought that? I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years, it was the national age.

I have to agree on the whining. I'm not saying that a few may think smoking looks cool and tries it but if we're so concerned about kids maybe picking up a cig by watching Stranger Things, I would think the same people would be absolutely in a panic over all the gun and physical violence across every tv/movie/viewing/gamig platform out there that kids have access to. If they think smoking looked "cool" in ST, they need to go back to season one when Joyce was trying to convince Hopper to take her seriously about Will. They were both disheveled and she most definitely did not look cool. Great little scene though.

9. Back To Top    #129
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Level
    I smoked 20 years (I quit 7 years ago), but this PC bullshit is stupid.

Anyways, this was the best season so far. I've rewatched it twice. I hope Maya Hawk returns next season, she was perfect with Joe Keery.
    I love everyone from this show. Minus Nancy and Jonathan. Dorks.

10. Back To Top    #130
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    I smoked 20 years (I quit 7 years ago), but this PC bullshit is stupid.

Anyways, this was the best season so far. I've rewatched it twice. I hope Maya Hawk returns next season, she was perfect with Joe Keery.
    I love everyone from this show. Minus Nancy and Jonathan. Dorks.
    I hope Maya Hawke returns too; I loved her character. Actually I love all of them.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213