1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    It is well with my soul Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Level

Waco - Netflix

Has anyone watched this miniseries? I finished it yesterday.

I was 14 when the Waco siege happened. I remember the news coverage and how awful it all seemed.

I definitely do believe our government was at fault there. Koresh was no saint, nor do I believe he was some messiah. But I dont believe he was the monster the government tried to make him out to be.

I enjoyed the miniseries though. Add to your watchlist if you havent seen it yet.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Waiting for Aaron to get more screentime.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Level
    I loved the miniseries but they made David way too sympathetic and glossed over any of the negative aspects of him

While on the 51st day they certainly went overboard, the government isn't the complete boogyman that the media claim them to be. They gave David and his followerts multiple chances to give themselves up and tell their side of the story but they went out of their way to antagonize all the work the federal government did

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree Koresh drug it out way beyond what he should have. He definitely had chance after chance after chance to peacefully surrender.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Level
    I watched it and thought it was pretty good. While I believe the govt. stepped WAY over the line, I agree with @SnuffVille that it portrayed DK in a sympathetic light. I think that was probably because one of the books it was based on was written by a former Branch Davidian. I've since watched some documentaries and feel the cover up by the govt. is undeniable. I remember watching live on tv and it was horrifying when so few made it out.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAScientist View Post
    I watched it and thought it was pretty good. While I believe the govt. stepped WAY over the line, I agree with @SnuffVille that it portrayed DK in a sympathetic light. I think that was probably because one of the books it was based on was written by a former Branch Davidian. I've since watched some documentaries and feel the cover up by the govt. is undeniable. I remember watching live on tv and it was horrifying when so few made it out.
    Absolutely the cover up can't be denied. I'm currently watching another documentary on Amazon Prime about it. A lot of the stuff shown on the miniseries is also shown on this documentary. Some of it is word for word with how things were portrayed.

I think the government fully expected people to run out and surrender but when they didn't, they panicked because now they caused the deaths of not just people but innocent children. They gassed babies and children. They couldn't have that make them look bad. So of course they put all the blame on the Davidians.

Did the Davidians actually set the fires, or were they caused by the devices used by the government? We will never know. At the end of the day, it's the government's word against a bunch of dead people.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnuffVille View Post
    I loved the miniseries but they made David way too sympathetic and glossed over any of the negative aspects of him

While on the 51st day they certainly went overboard, the government isn't the complete boogyman that the media claim them to be. They gave David and his followerts multiple chances to give themselves up and tell their side of the story but they went out of their way to antagonize all the work the federal government did
    True but the govt. agency could have picked Koresh up any time they wanted because he jogged away from the compound every day, but they didn't. As this came shortly after the Ruby Ridge disaster, some have theorized that the govt. wanted more of a spectacle to change public perception. Had they picked him up while he was out jogging, it probably wouldn't have been a very big news story.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAScientist View Post
    True but the govt. agency could have picked Koresh up any time they wanted because he jogged away from the compound every day, but they didn't. As this came shortly after the Ruby Ridge disaster, some have theorized that the govt. wanted more of a spectacle to change public perception. Had they picked him up while he was out jogging, it probably wouldn't have been a very big news story.
    I agree. All the unnecessary deaths could have been avoided if they had just picked him up during any of the many opportunities they had to do that.

I also think they wanted to make themselves look good in the public eye after the Ruby Ridge incident.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Level
    The sad irony is because of Waco, Tim mcveigh blew up the federal building in Oklahoma. Because of that , Waco was re-opened leading to the discovery that the Govt. hid vital info from the first investigation.
    35 years ago tomorrow marks the anniversary of the city of Philadelphia blowing off a roof and burning down 62 homes covering two square blocks in the middle of the city.
    And those can’t get rights re-elected the fucker who did it. Ha ha ha

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Level
    I watched a show over the weekend that was about Waco. I remember watching the building burn, it was very upsetting. It mentioned that an ATF agent asked a postal worker something about the complex but didn't know the postal worker was a Davidian and tipped them off to the raid. They interviewed some survivors/people who weren't in the complex as it burned and you could here that they are still believers.
    I may give the miniseries a try.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Level
    If you have Amazon Prime, check out Waco: Rules of Engagement.

If not, you can watch it on YouTube.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Regardless what you think about Koresh, you can't deny the cover up by the government after watching this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast