Forgot your username?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #21
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1741 Post(s)
    Level
    Weird people. The same ones that make Beth look young like in these pics.
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Ok I could only find 2 examples before I almost threw up my lunch.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dixon View Post
    The people who draw this stuff are nuts. What would possess someone to not only think of this, but to actually draw it? Lol.
    Because they're drawing generic young cute blonde.

The ones with Daryl, a baby and Beth are the most hilarious. They look like a dad and his two kids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Dixon View Post
    Weird people. The same ones that make Beth look young like in these pics.
    Ok I could only find 2 examples before I almost threw up my lunch.
    They usually make Daryl looks gruff, with lines/wrinkles/shaggy hair. But both of them literally look like dad and daughter. No 'romantic' vibe are coming of them.... the one on the right.... she looks 8 and he's reading Doodlebug a bedtime story (just reailized their suppost to be hands..... Oh well).

3. Back To Top    #23
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1741 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekki Dixon View Post
    Because they're drawing generic young cute blonde.

The ones with Daryl, a baby and Beth are the most hilarious. They look like a dad and his two kids.

- - - Updated - - -

They usually make Daryl looks gruff, with lines/wrinkles/shaggy hair. But both of them literally look like dad and daughter. No 'romantic' vibe are coming of them.... the one on the right.... she looks 8 and he's reading Doodlebug a bedtime story (just reailized their suppost to be hands..... Oh well).
    Lol there were some where she look 10 and Daryl is doing dirty nasty things to her. I just don't get what goes through there brains.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Level
    Wow, 33. This was the first thread I posted in. The idea of Bethyl disturbed me. It disturbed me on many fronts, but personally for me, overall it was on an intellectual level (lack of). How people could read characters so fuckin' wrong, how people could be so fuckin' clueless and just have such out of context, lacking and wrong opinions - and an opinion that just completely dismissed the comments of the ones that actually fuckin' wrote it; an opinion that was so arrogant that it placed fangirl mentality over actual creators of the actual product...man. I get completely get why so many people were disgusted by the shipping of these characters, but for me it was always the stupidity that offended me the most. An utter failure in intelligence is always gonna frustrate me and this thread allowed me to vent that. Also the fact that the presence of Bethyl shipping had this habit at the time of trying to take over and infect everything of the show; reviews and articles that had nothing to do with Bethyl and there was Bethyl shipping talk, blugh. These days, my frustration on this has sort of just become boredom and sort of pained, reluctant acceptance of present idiocy - and a personal distancing from the environment of it in a bid to protect my own sanity.

I looked at my first post on here.

Hi. My first post prolly shouldn't be on a hate thread and especially not when an episode that I rather enjoyed just aired, but meh.

The Bethyl thing... In Still and Alone I felt like I was *supposed* to be watching Daryl viewing this girl as like, innocence and light and faith and helping him "fix" himself and deal with his past, lots of Sophia symbolism and referencing, a girl he actually could help this time and she could help him in return... But I never actually saw any of it on screen. I found Still and Alone to be so fucking depressing and redundant. Like, some of the saddest moments in the entire series.

You've got this damaged, emotionally stunted guy who has vocalised that the biggest thing he's learned is that he can't be alone, that he needs people. And that hey, it's actually okay because he's not alone, he has these people who care about him and connect with him and value him... He says it more than once. Which is why when the prison falls and he loses those people, he goes into depressed mode and misses tracking things that he really shouldn't (how is Tyreese's, Lizzie's and Mika's movement not pretty fucking obvious? Tyreese is a big guy, moving with a baby...and kids footprints and they throw away a diaper!) He's out of it, lost because he's lost these people he realised he needs...and then Beth ends up telling him that his future is doomed to be alone. That he will be the "last man standing", after everyone around him is dead, he'll be all alone, fighting by himself. How is that anything other than heartbreaking? And she says it likes it's a compliment, because she has absolutely no idea who this guy is or how he functions or what will crush him, because she can't. She is nothing like him. She is sheltered and adored and he is hardened and beaten down. It's not her fault and it's not a bad thing, but she has nothing in common with him, no similar life experience. She's not equipped to deal with him. Beth shows her inability to understand him in Season 3, when he leaves with Merle. She doesn't get it. She reacts like a child. She's mad and resentful towards him cuz she doesn't understand because to her it's simply "Merle is a jerk". She doesn't get it, she can't.

So he has this massive regression for absolutely no reason. It wasn't necessary, it certainly wasn't gonna happen no matter what and it didn't end with him getting his shit together, making a plan of action and having faith. It was ridiculous. And it only happened because she literally torments him into it. She whines and sulks and literally stomps her foot and is a grieving teenager. She taunts him, in a way that reminds me of Merle quite frankly. She mocks him, his growth, his responsibility, his goodness, his new-found value. She mocks it all; "Mr Dixon", completely missing how actually amazing and worthwhile it is - and how much it means to him, and how much it's keeping her alive. And when he reacts, like a traumatised and angry emotionally crippled man, she's shocked and offended because she never saw it coming, didn't have a clue what she was dealing with and because it was all about HER not being responsible and a grown up, because SHE wanted to rebel like the teenager she is and SHE wanted to be adhered to and indulged like the sheltered person she is, because that's all she actually knows and understands.

And the "made for this world" shit. I HATE that comment about Daryl. I find it so damn sad. Yes, he has skills that are super beneficial to the world that they all now find themselves in... But so does Rick, so did Hersel, so did Shane, so has Glenn, even. And the rest of them learn a lot of those skills. Daryl has to learn things the others don't, like integrating with people. Yes yes, survival skills, super obvious yay and handy in the environment...but the "made for this world" comments very obviously imply that HE was the one that didn't fit into the world before. That his life sucked not because the universe was unfair or because of the failings of the people around him, but because HE wasn't made for the previous world, because HE belongs in a world like now, full of despair and death and destruction. He has skills fitting for the new world and he personally steps up in the new world, but I hate any version of "he was born for a zombie apocalypse" because I just find it straight up sad and way too simplified. (Also because I think most of Daryl's progression and his stepping up is actually very little to do with solely Daryl, and everything to do with how specific things have played out around him, specifically season 2 events and interactions.) But again, she says it like it's a compliment.

And the burning of the house... Apart from checking all the reverting to a reckless child crap boxes when the situation really doesn't allow for it - you know, ruining your shelter, forest fires and all that... How on earth is recreating the death of his mother a yay thing? If Beth knew his mother burned to death in a fire at home, after drinking and smoking...would she really have gone "hey I know, lets use hick alcohol to burn the shack that's just like your childhood home"? Who would do that? It's fucked up and again, so depressing sad!

And none of this actually does anything. It doesn't push him forward, doesn't drive him into action, doesn't give him a goal... It crushes him. She's apparently supposed to be teaching him about faith, and she was believing that the others were alive...and yet instead of looking for them, Daryl ends up doing something he's never done and literally does nothing. That's supposed to be faith? That's supposed to be hope and light? How? He's always been the one to never physically give up, to move move move...and at the funeral home he just gives up. He ends up ignoring blatantly dodgy shit. Daryl, the uber observant, cautious hunter, fails to spot the massive red flags. He becomes useless. She literally ruins him. He literally has NO hope, doesn't even wanna try. Decides to just stay there with the obvious sketchy environment because it's easier and he has nothing else to focus on or drive for. And this is supposed to be interpreted as healed, and happy and settled Daryl? Because he interprets pretty obvious sketchy human behaviour as acts of good people? That ends with her kidnapped? What the fuck? And to some people it's falling in love and romantic? Are you fucking kiddin' me?! HOW?!

And again...hi...! Long rambling first post...ahem...

...am I allowed to swear in here?

I don't think my opinion has changed at all. Less interested period in the overall phenomenon, I would say. Like I said, lot of boredom now in response as opposed to a flow of thought. (though I feel that way about a good bit of the show right now)

I think there was a level of reason why some could interpret it incorrectly when it was still happening. I never shared that incorrect interpretation and I think it was very lacking, but I understand why some people could have picked up on a couple things and ran with it to where they personally wanted it to be, but when at the end you have the reality of the storyline having been bookended by the showrunner commenting that he "wasn't even entertaining that" idea and the creator of the universe/writer of comic and show/producer of show saying outright that no, Daryl didn't feel that way, that it wasn't like a love story could have happened if only she hadn't died - literally addressed the belief of the incorrect interpretation and saying that no, that's not what it is or ever was or ever could have been in any way, you are reading it wrong - and outright vocally comparing her to Sophia... That's the introductory comment and the final thought comment from the creators of the whole thing, the two with the most power and direction of the whole thing - and both of whom took into account not just what was on screen but also how some people were reading it. I have no understanding of anybody still pushing Bethyl when this is the reality. It still disturbs me and offends me.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Wow, 33. This was the first thread I posted in. The idea of Bethyl disturbed me. It disturbed me on many fronts, but personally for me, overall it was on an intellectual level (lack of). How people could read characters so fuckin' wrong, how people could be so fuckin' clueless and just have such out of context, lacking and wrong opinions - and an opinion that just completely dismissed the comments of the ones that actually fuckin' wrote it; an opinion that was so arrogant that it placed fangirl mentality over actual creators of the actual product...man. I get completely get why so many people were disgusted by the shipping of these characters, but for me it was always the stupidity that offended me the most. An utter failure in intelligence is always gonna frustrate me and this thread allowed me to vent that. Also the fact that the presence of Bethyl shipping had this habit at the time of trying to take over and infect everything of the show; reviews and articles that had nothing to do with Bethyl and there was Bethyl shipping talk, blugh. These days, my frustration on this has sort of just become boredom and sort of pained, reluctant acceptance of present idiocy - and a personal distancing from the environment of it in a bid to protect my own sanity.

I looked at my first post on here.

I don't think my opinion has changed at all. Less interested period in the overall phenomenon, I would say. Like I said, lot of boredom now in response as opposed to a flow of thought. (though I feel that way about a good bit of the show right now)

I think there was a level of reason why some could interpret it incorrectly when it was still happening. I never shared that incorrect interpretation and I think it was very lacking, but I understand why some people could have picked up on a couple things and ran with it to where they personally wanted it to be, but when at the end you have the reality of the storyline having been bookended by the showrunner commenting that he "wasn't even entertaining that" idea and the creator of the universe/writer of comic and show/producer of show saying outright that no, Daryl didn't feel that way, that it wasn't like a love story could have happened if only she hadn't died - literally addressed the belief of the incorrect interpretation and saying that no, that's not what it is or ever was or ever could have been in any way, you are reading it wrong - and outright vocally comparing her to Sophia... That's the introductory comment and the final thought comment from the creators of the whole thing, the two with the most power and direction of the whole thing - and both of whom took into account not just what was on screen but also how some people were reading it. I have no understanding of anybody still pushing Bethyl when this is the reality. It still disturbs me and offends me.
    Great post - both of them. :)

6. Back To Top    #26
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Level
    Well, to me it just shows the lengths TPTB will go to in order to promote the show, and audience ratings. That's really all they care about. The Ad dollars. It doesn't matter if it's totally illogical or even stupid, if it draws the viewers, then do it. Of course it's ridiculous and also in many ways insulting. I find a lot of their writing "pandering" to the audience. Sometimes they actually hit on something worthwhile, but not lately, especially the finale of Season 6 -- total Yuk.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronx Cheer View Post
    Well, to me it just shows the lengths TPTB will go to in order to promote the show, and audience ratings. That's really all they care about. The Ad dollars. It doesn't matter if it's totally illogical or even stupid, if it draws the viewers, then do it. Of course it's ridiculous and also in many ways insulting. I find a lot of their writing "pandering" to the audience. Sometimes they actually hit on something worthwhile, but not lately, especially the finale of Season 6 -- total Yuk.
    I have to say I don't necessarily agree with this. Some marketing decisions, yes, I agree there, and there's definitely some cheap pops, but I genuinely believe that Gimple thinks most of his storylines are actually brilliant. The storylining of Beth I think tells us a lot about Gimple and hey, the dude had a good season and a half plan for that, from start to finish that was full of callbacks and references and foreshadowing and themes that could have been really awesome (some of it was awesome, The Grove part of it was awesome). A lot of the writing sucks and doesn't always present what they want it to, but I think at the foundation, Gimple thinks those storylines really are worth something great.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    I have to say I don't necessarily agree with this. Some marketing decisions, yes, I agree there, and there's definitely some cheap pops, but I genuinely believe that Gimple thinks most of his storylines are actually brilliant. The storylining of Beth I think tells us a lot about Gimple and hey, the dude had a good season and a half plan for that, from start to finish that was full of callbacks and references and foreshadowing and themes that could have been really awesome (some of it was awesome, The Grove part of it was awesome). A lot of the writing sucks and doesn't always present what they want it to, but I think at the foundation, Gimple thinks those storylines really are worth something great.
    To my mind, The Grove was the very best they have ever done. Some spark of genius sprang forth on that one, and it will I think always stand out, separate and apart, from all the rest. If Gimple thinks he is a genius, I believe he is delusional for the most part. But I do want to congratulate you for putting together a great summary. Love to see posts like yours!

9. Back To Top    #29
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronx Cheer View Post
    To my mind, The Grove was the very best they have ever done. Some spark of genius sprang forth on that one, and it will I think always stand out, separate and apart, from all the rest. If Gimple thinks he is a genius, I believe he is delusional for the most part. But I do want to congratulate you for putting together a great summary. Love to see posts like yours!
    Thank you. I actually understand why Gimple gets the 'genius' comments. I absolutely think there is something there. I don't think he should have the role of showrunner, I think he needs an amazing editor to better his shit, I think he needs to stop writing for himself so much, I think he's kind of a prick and I wonder how he would be on a different network under a talented showrunner. But I absolutely do think he has something really quite brilliant. Some of the best stuff has been written by him. He puts ridiculous thought into some of his stuff. There is something quite amazing about the process of what he wants to tell and that he is constantly so aware of so much of the picture of it, but his ability to present and communicate it as such is often in question. I actually think Bethyl is an example of that. That storyline is set up from the first episode of season 4, it is full of references and parallels and it intertwines with another storyline very well. The idea of a Sophia revisit is a good one, the idea of taking Carol and Daryl back to that, to establish it again and explore what it makes them since and now, is a good one. And when it really comes down to it, one half of it was fully written by Gimple with good tools to communicate the story (The Grove with good actors) the other half was not (Still and Alone with not so good actors) I think the Gimple outline and the Gimple half of it was actually a success.

But anyway, yeah, my point was that I think AMC cares about money and I think that shows in their consistent choice of investing as little as possible into their products. And yes, some of their marketing shows it. But Gimple, I would say absolutely cares about the quality. The fact that a lot of us think the quality is shit doesn't have bearing on what he thinks about it. I think it can be argued that with him there's a lack of talent, a misreading of an audience or even a dismissal of an audience, a douche personality or just an inability to effectively communicate what he wants to and then some, but I don't think there's anything to say he doesn't care or that the intent is money. I think he buys into the stories he wants to tell. I think Bethyl storylining showed that too. Long planned, lots of thought put in, part of a bigger something, risky themes and not what I see as any pandering to a false idea. I think some actors trolled and marketing used the fact that they had attention of some to their favour, but I don't believe Gimple and co pandered to Bethyl fans. I think they had chance to do so but instead there's evidence that they were unaware people would react such a way originally (NR having a tantrum at the original suggestion of Bethyl, MMB being on set and her comments on it never once indicating it was anything actually Bethyl and EK saying nobody ever talked to her about Bethyl being a thing) and then the reunion which was very much not a reunion and reestablished things, happening after the Caryl reunion for comparison and has Daryl going straight to Carol and Beth just getting a pat. And between the filming and the airing of that I think Gimple and co just let people create their own trap, really. Just let them believe what they want. Actors trolling isn't them pandering, it's just actors trolling. Even now we have Tara storyling choices and that being evidence that the choice of a Beth bottle episode and a trailer coda advertising it had nothing to do with anything special of Beth, or of Beth and Daryl, but instead is just Gimple being Gimple. 

10. Back To Top    #30
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    With the
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    from yesterday, a good portion of the Bethyl fandom has been losing its shit all over the internet.

It's always a good time to read the tantrums and meltdowns over a ship that never existed.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast