Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level

Why is Travis Alone?

Following the conclusion of "Pillar of Salt" one question I'm sure (the producers) want everyone asking: Why is Travis alone and where is Chris?

I have two thoughts for what might happen in the episode based on what's happened so far in Season 2B and some hints from TWD-verse as a whole.

1. My first theory is that Chris is dead. That's the easier theory. We'll find out in "Date of Death," which could aptly be titled for Chris's farewell from the series. Chris and the Broskis could end up dying and Travis might bury Chris along with the farmer's relatives and have to mark his own son's date of death on his tombstone. I imagine that's a fitting way of putting the title in the episode. The one thing I don't know is how Chris dies. Thoughts??

2. The second theory is that Chris and the Broskis abandon Travis and leave him on his own, which causes him to venture back to the Abigail. He either finds the message Madison and Alicia left for Nick, or he saw the lights in the hotel without having to head back to the boat. Either way, he's abandoned and on his own. If this theory is true there's a second part to it involving Ofelia. I'm wondering if Chris and Ofelia will reunite and end season 2 together. Dave Erickson noted that not all of the cast will be reunited by the end of season 2. Ofelia is a good bet for someone staying away from the group and Chris being with the Broskis could be a good way to bring her back into the main narrative.

I think the first is more likely because it's around this time that someone dies in TWD - why not make it Chris? AMC releases the synopses of TWD episodes very strategically. They don't want anything getting out, especially at season's end. In the past, the episode synopses following a major character death haven't been released until that character death has aired. I'm wondering if that's the reason we haven't gotten the synopsis for episode 14 or 15 yet.

I also think the writers wrote themselves into a bit of a corner with Chris's arc. Mainly, I wish they didn't kill Liza, but that's neither here nor there. Chris's development, however, over the season has been chaotic to say the least. At one point he was being built up as a strong member of the group, and then Jesse McCartney had to come in and ruin it like he does everything. That really seems to be what set Chris off the deep end. But since then he's only said "the others don't like me" like a little baby, which makes any further progression hard to accomplish. At this point, it almost seems his death is inevitable and we're more concerned with what it will do to Travis than anything else.

I'd rather the second option happen, to be honest, because I want Ofelia to return to the group in a somewhat believable way. Then again, she could always just have a change of heart and return to the hotel. It's not like she doesn't know where they are.

Or I could be way off...

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Level
    I think Travis is alone because Chris is dead. Lorenzo James Henrie who plays Chris was recently cast for Agents Of Shield so it only makes sense that he's dead.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Jaywalking Loiterer Shane's Addiction's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level
    If it is that Chris is dead, well.....that would sure seem mighty convenient. Now he's free to reunite with Madison.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    I'll pray to Bethus that your first theory is correct. I don't care how Chris dies. The more pathetic the better. But chances are that little twerp has turned on his dad to hang with the dudes they found. Only to eventually be reunited with the group. Why does that sound familiar? Hmmm....

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Walking along the lonely street of dreams
    Threads
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Level
    I really think Chris is dead. I really do.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Level
    The first major character death from Season 2 is going to be an off-screen death ? Damn, that would be a new fucking low lol

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think it will happen off screen. Chris is in the preview for next episode so if anything it will happen then.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Level
    I hope it's your first theory cause Chris is just the worst. I don't even care about Travis anymore. I kinda want a show with just Nick, Alicia, and Strand.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    Op, you offered well thought out scenerios in both versions. I don't know which speculation is correct, but I hope it is #1. Having Travis kill Chris would be the ultimate character death as it would add depth to Travis'. This would leave an indelible emotional scar. How Travis survives this personal devastation and how this tragic turn shapes him, could be nearly as good as the journey Carol has been on since she lost Sophia.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Level
    I want Chris to live for the following reasons:

1. Few characters on this series are interesting to me. Chris is one of the ones I am interested in right now.

2. I'm tired of this show stealing and repeating ideas from the original. Because this show is a lesser version, with less interesting characters and a smaller budget, any repeated plot line is going to be lesser than the original. If I want to watch a great "parental figure is forced to kill child who they consider out of control in an apocalyptic situation" plot, I will watch Carol murder Lizzie. We already have a good version of that plot. Why write the same story only not as good?

3. I still think every single one of Chris's actions have valid reasoning behind them. Everyone is acting like he's completely un-salvageable, but he really hasn't done anything wrong besides making friends with people who are kinda douchey. That old man shot his fucking friend. What was Chris supposed to do? I don't think a "you're too far gone - I hate doing this but I have to" killing is warranted for this character just yet. He needs to rape someone or kill an innocent, non-threatening person or something else that is quite undeniably really fucking awful. In order for Chris to escalate any further - to a point where I could justify in my mind that Travis has the right to murder him (and probably all of his friends - who also do not deserve death just yet,) these characters are going to have to meet MORE survivors in the next episode and kill them for no reason. Or rape them. Or start beating up their kid or something.

So to me, Chris dying by Travis's hand at this point is bullshit. He'd have to die accidentally or by someone else killing him... which I still wouldn't like, since I enjoy the character... But he's not Lizzie-level crazy. He's not even Merle or Randall-level crazy... He's kinda close to Randall-level, with the benefit of being the child of the other protagonist in the episode. Even Carl has done worse than Chris has... and Rick never contemplated murdering him.

So I hope he doesn't die in the next episode. I think he needs more time with the Bros before he become villain-enough to need to die. If he simply abandons his father, or Travis abandons him when he gets sick of all the Bros being bros, it leaves room for numerous possibilities - and possibilities that aren't repeats too...

Maybe Chris and the Bros do run into Ofelia. Maybe the bros are like "let's rape this chick," and Chris is like "woah! I know her!" and that's what can bring him out of his "turning into a douche" phase. Maybe he and Ofelia can fight their way away from the bros. Or maybe one of them can die during this fight and only one will get away. Maybe Ofelia can return to the group and tell Travis that Chris died saving her - making Travis feel bad for leaving and giving up on him. Or Ofelia dies and Chris heads back and finds Daniel and is like "Man... My friendship with the Bros got your kid killed. I feel bad..."

Or Chris and the Bros are separated from Travis when the hotel light came on, and they head that way too with the intent to steal it. They find out Madison and company are there and Chris has to choose sides. Maybe he dies later not by "Dad has to kill you because you are bad" but because something like "Alicia accidentally kills you because you're trying to steal her fucking home." Which would make Travis be like "Alicia, I feel kinda upset that you killed my son, but I get it, and we might not have ever had any scenes together before, so this could be a good opportunity for that." Or maybe he chooses Madison's side and dies by the hand of his very own bros... Then Travis would be like "my son died doing the right thing. I'm proud."

Potential conflict and/or character development all the fuck over the place!

Or we could get a lesser version of The Grove...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast