Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
  1. Back To Top    #211
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronx Cheer View Post
    @John Dixon Nonetheless, they did sing it very well, even if it wasn't one of the favored "cover" artists for Bob Dylan - I wonder if he watched that episode; he would have been proud I think.
    You're kidding right? That had to be the worst arrangement of a Dylan song I've ever heard. I'll admit that they had decent voices, but the way they sang the song was really corny and cheesy. I've been a Dylan fan for a lot of years and was lucky enough to see him perform in person, I doubt he was proud.

2. Back To Top    #212
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabitha ate my stash View Post
    Hee! I got my intended reaction. Impressed you managed to suffer through a whole minute of Livvy's saccharine bilge. That's further than I've ever managed to listen.

I missed the three cover guys you mentioned before... I shall go hunting through this thread.
    Jerry Garcia, Neil Young and Jimi Hendrix. I'll tolerate a few others like Johnny Cash and Crosby, Stills and Nash. But not many others.

I lasted a minute because the herbal refreshment I so often partake in didn't make it cringe worthy right away. Plus Seinfeld was on and that kind of distracted me.

3. Back To Top    #213
    Status
    Team Dwerrylusional tabitha ate my stash's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dixon View Post
    Jerry Garcia, Neil Young and Jimi Hendrix. I'll tolerate a few others like Johnny Cash and Crosby, Stills and Nash. But not many others.

I lasted a minute because the herbal refreshment I so often partake in didn't make it cringe worthy right away. Plus Seinfeld was on and that kind of distracted me.
    Thanks for that. And apologies for putting you through Olivia. No-one should have to suffer through that.

Ah, so much Dylan, so many Dylan covers, so little damn time.

For a good while my fave Dylan cover was Baby Blue by Them (with Van Morrison). My 2nd fave Byrds track after 8 Miles High is their version of My Back Pages. I love Neil Young, and I love Dylan covering Young's Old Man. I regularly chill to some of the Grateful Dead covers of his songs (well you have to, really). But there's 2 versions of the Jerry Garcia Band's Tangled up in Blue that I just adore, one 1977 cover and another sped-up crazy keyboards & guitar version from some time earlier which is just bonkers. Sounds like they're on a combo of speed and acid. Never tire of listening to it.

The genius of the Dylan originals though, you just can't get past that. They're in a world & class of their own. the original Don't Think Twice will never be bettered.
    Last edited by tabitha ate my stash; November 4th, 2016 at 03:27 AM. Reason: forgot one!

4. Back To Top    #214
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabitha ate my stash View Post
    Thanks for that. And apologies for putting you through Olivia. No-one should have to suffer through that.

Ah, so much Dylan, so many Dylan covers, so little damn time.

For a good while my fave Dylan cover was Baby Blue by Them (with Van Morrison). My 2nd fave Byrds track after 8 Miles High is their version of My Back Pages. I love Neil Young, and I love Dylan covering Young's Old Man. I regularly chill to some of the Grateful Dead covers of his songs (well you have to, really). But there's 2 versions of the Jerry Garcia Band's Tangled up in Blue that I just adore, one 1977 cover and another sped-up crazy keyboards & guitar version from some time earlier which is just bonkers. Sounds like they're on a combo of speed and acid. Never tire of listening to it.

The genius of the Dylan originals though, you just can't get past that. They're in a world & class of their own. the original Don't Think Twice will never be bettered.
    I love those versions of Garcia Band's Tangled Up in Blue too. I actually like Garcia Band more than the Dead and I like when his versions of Tangled better than Dylan's. Sounds like we share the same musical taste.

5. Back To Top    #215
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
    I will gladly say I gave the episode a solid 8. I thought King E was perfect after Zeke gave Carol his explanation of why he has his character. The people he leads needed a "larger than life" leader, and were willing to build up a whole myth surrounding him, so he just gives them what they need. Thus the Shakespearean speeches and throne. Rick has his Sheriff personae, and Negan has his speechifying and Phillip was The Gov. They all do it. And hey - it works. The Kingdom is the most put-together society we've seen yet. They have a good wall, houses, crops and animals, enough food (and cobbler 3 times a day!). They have enough people to grow the food, make meals and clean clothes, and still have time for book learning for the young'uns and art time (music and chime making) for others. The people look happy and healthy.

Love Carol's relationship with Zeke, and her attitude towards King Ezekiel. Love that Morgan and Carol both seem to be coming to a meeting of the minds. Love the Kingdomers that we've met so far. The only reason that I took points off was for Carol being okay to walk after less than a week of healing, and Shiva. I like Shiva, and thought they did a great job with the FXs, but she's still too "comic book-y", even in a show about zombies. But I can enjoy the rest of the episode despite that. And Khary Payton is pitch-perfect as Zeke - so glad he was cast.
    My initial reaction was that they had given us another magical healing Carol moment as well. But while discussing the episode and the general timeline elsewhere, I realized that they actually do cover 7 days in this episode. When Carol wakes up, Morgan tells her that she slept for 2 days. The rest came from Morgan changing clothes - he had different color shirts on to indicate different days. And there were some other small clues like Ezekiel talking about the pigs being sent for slaughter away from the Kingdom before they were given to the saviors.

That's not much of a stretch really. Years back, I broke my ankle and had to have surgery for pins and plates to stabilize it. They had me up in a walking cast after 7 days - it still hurt like hell, but I could put some weight on it. MMB wasn't completely consistent with her performance - sometimes she was limping like someone recovering from leg wound and sometimes she just walked normally. But that's really the only thing that stand out for me as far as her injury. She was in bed for 2 days, used the wheelchair for 4 days, and on the 7th day she was limping around. I do think Carol was being way too optimistic about her chances out on her own when she wasn't fully recovered, but I think that added some to the impact of Ezekiel being able to get through to her and convincing her to agree to his compromise. It was nice to see Carol actually listen to someone else who had a better idea and think about what she was doing for a change. The house was a great compromise. Carol can have the solitude she wants right now, but she's still nearby and they know where she is so they can visit her from time to time so she's not completely isolated.

6. Back To Top    #216
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by generalzod View Post
    because tigers are carnivorous wild animals that are unpredictable and unsafe for actors to be around? Because they've been known to maul and kill at the smell of any blood, even menstrual blood? Because even incredibly " trained" tigers mauled and almost killed Siegfried and Roy in their tiger show? It would be like putting a gator or a shark in a pool with actors, or a grizzly bear in Alexandria and expecting them never to attack. They are wild and unpredictable predators. Even drug lords that have bought them keep them chained away from humans.

its also why the concept of shiva is utterly, utterly ridiculous and might as well be a unicorn.
    No, when people film scenes with tigers they are filmed apart. Ezekiel wouldn't be filming the scene with the tiger, they would film them seperately and then after add them together. Only it's trainor would interact. Watch the tigers in "Born to Die" it's really simple.

7. Back To Top    #217
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by zinc View Post
    Then why did they kill Harambe?
    Because human beings are all assholes.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122