Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Level

Rate and Review the First Half of Season 7

The first half of season 7 has concluded. It has received mixed to generally negative reviews. So, how do you feel? What did TPTB do right? What went wrong? How would you have structured it?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    I said 5... It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good. Literally half the season was filler which could have worked.... IF they would have have a better episode structure. I was fine with the first episode, but after that the pacing was horrible. I liked each episode by themselves for the most part, give or take, but when you tell a story the pacing should flow and that's not what happened with 7a.

I honestly believe this could have been a much better half if they would have just cut up, combined, and rearranged episodes. Like they wouldn't even need to change what they filmed. Just change the placing of episodes and scenes.

Seems like 7b will be a lot better though.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Huner with a T View Post
    I said 5... It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good. Literally half the season was filler which could have worked.... IF they would have have a better episode structure. I was fine with the first episode, but after that the pacing was horrible. I liked each episode by themselves for the most part, give or take, but when you tell a story the pacing should flow and that's not what happened with 7a.

I honestly believe this could have been a much better half if they would have just cut up, combined, and rearranged episodes. Like they wouldn't even need to change what they filmed. Just change the placing of episodes and scenes.
    This.

However, I think the season was already off to a shit start with the garbage cliffhanger and the predictable deaths. Then we had, in the first episode, so much stupid filler and Negan pandering that I was bored with him before the season started.

So many of my friends don't watch or actively avoid watching Walking Dead anymore because of the pacing and structure of the season.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Level
    I gave it a 7/10. The pacing and structure really hurt the first half of the season. We don't need one episode per community. If every episode was like tonight's mid-season finale which focused on everybody, The Walking Dead would be a top-tier series comparable to Breaking Bad and The Game of Thrones. I'm excited for 7B.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Level
    Hated it overall. Only season that might have had a worse first half was last season. The pacing was shitty, the characters I care about were separated and many had hardly any screentime, there were way too many characters already and yet they're adding more by the truckload, the bottle eps were even worse than usual (and they're pretty much always momentum killers), and there wasn't a single episode that I loved. A couple that I liked, including tonight's, but none that I loved. Negan has been a walking cartoon of a super villain who lets the wrong people live for no good [onscreen] reason, just contrivances because of plot armor for most of the important characters. He hasn't felt truly menacing and I imagine that's in large part because he's Kirkman's pet and Gimple intends to keep him around long term (to the show's detriment IMO but that's tomorrow's problem). Because they want him to be "cool," they can't make him an effective and frightening villain. He comes across as a frat boy who got too much power. This season, coming on the heels of last season's disaster, really and truly feels like the show is on its last legs creatively. It's just Gimple cribbing comics pages at this point and living exclusively off fanboy praise.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Level
    4/10 - The MSF was the only episode I truly enjoyed. There were far too many bottle episodes and main characters that were MIA for long periods of time. Negan's act got old really quick IMO, but I thought he was better in the MSF.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    I give it a 6.

Half of it is meh. Half of it has actually been pretty good. The bottle eps need to stop. That format is just killing this show now just like the cliffhangers have in the past. Example: Oceanside could have been told in a secondary story line in 2 or 3 episodes. It didn't need it's own episode. And it's kinda hard to have a cohesive narrative when all of your main characters are sprinkled around the countryside. I hope now that they're back together, that they'll stay together. Negan was completely over the top for the first half. I like how he's been toned down a bit lately. I hope they tone down that rapey harem shit he has going on too. Completely unnecessary and not like the comic at all. And it needs more Simon and Jesus. Plain and simple.

I mainly give it higher than a 5 because I think some of the individual performances have been very good. Like Gregory and Simon's scenes in Go Getters. AA has done a good job with Dwight. Sherry has been a pleasant surprise. Father G continues to be interesting to me. And I am really starting to like how mean Arat is. More of her, please.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    "We could arrange to have you carried." AdamUpBxtch's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Level
    Nope still not as bad as 5A was....but it wasn't that great either.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status

Awaiting Gimple's Replacement In Negan's Bed.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Level

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    6. There were a few good episodes, but bottles really hurt the pacing of the season.

I've been thinking about it and I don't really think they could have just edited the bottles and mashed them together. One of the characteristics of a bottle episode is that they move along at a much slower pace. They have time to show the slower moments that you don't always have when you're headhopping around to different characters and locations. I don't think that is a good thing though, because who really wants to see all these slowburn, character driven shots? If they made them more meaningful, sure, but Gimple just expands on details that we've already picked up on almost immediately. Bottle episodes are just fluff for the most part these days.

I went back and watched the Governor's episodes back in season 4. At the time, I didn't care for them because I wanted to see TF. On a rewatch they are actually good, especially that first one he does, but could be because the Governor was a better actor than Tara or whoever else. When they're done every once in a while they can be good because they change the pace, but things slow down really quickly when half the episodes are bottled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast