Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Back To Top    #21
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Level
    I LOVE complex villains and fleshed out anti-heroes, but Negan...I dunno...I'm not feeling it. Is it JDM that's the problem or the writing? I don't know. I was excited about JDM and Negan, I was, but on the screen he's just so cartoonish and cringey I just can't stand him. Most of us agree that the writing has been pretty garbage these past few seasons, so I can't exactly blame the actor. I liked Garrett - he wasn't 'physically imposing' yet he was an interesting character and a villain with a terrible past and a 'solid' motive for why he was doing the terrible things he did. That's what I expected from Negan.

No matter how awesome and cool looking the actor is, if your writing sucks, the character and story is going to suffer.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level
    Same

3. Back To Top    #23
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Level
    For me Negan would suck no matter who is playing him. He is a shit villain.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Status
    Waiting for Aaron to get more screentime.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Level
    Honestly I don't know how in the world people thought Negan would translate to TV except for cartoonish and cringy because he is exactly the same in the comics. How would a TV adaption be any better?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    What is it about Hamm that makes him seem like a better Negan choice? I agree with @bboyRobert and others who think JDM is doing a fine job with the role.

The two actors have a similar look and are the same height. I am binge-ing Mad Men even as we speak and am about half way through season 5. I haven't seen it before, but because of all the buzz and awards surrounding that show, I finally decided to watch. Hamm is a fabulous actor - at least he was playing Don Draper. I haven't seen him in anything else. I've never seen JDM in anything but TWD. I'm sure Hamm would have played greatly the great mindfucker that is Negan, but JDM is owning it right now. I don't see anything in Negan that screams "Don Draper" that makes me think of Hamm. It doesn't have to, but I'm curious about what in Hamm screams Negan to you who would prefer it.

I'd love to hear.
    He's been in a few insurance commercials on TV it's like why isn't this guy getting gigs everywhere? Although maybe it's his preference after playing a character like Don Draper for so long.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    If David Morrisey hadn't already played the Governor he would have been an ideal Negan IMO
    Yes! David Morrisey killed it as the Gov and would have killed it as Negan. Damn I miss him so much!

6. Back To Top    #26
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    I like Hamm a lot, but I don't think he'd be a great Negan either. I thought Henry Rollins would have been a good choice, but I don't think so now either. He's far too serious. It's a hard character to translate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123