1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Level

As Much As I Like JDM They Got the Wrong Negan

Has anyone seen those h&r block commercials with Jon Hamm. There's one with a zombie that may be a slight nod to not gettin the job. But man in 30 seconds you can tell he would have made a perfect negan. As much as I like JDM I can't feel that what I thought was a great pick, now just seems wrong.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    I was literally just going to make the same comment about those commercials @Anton69. Every time I see Hamm in those commercials I always say I wish he was Negan. He was my choice from day one.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Level
    JDM is perfect. The way he plays him is perfect.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Level
    I also don't think JDM is the best choice for Negan. Damn shame too cause I thought he'd have been pretty decent. He's just not convincing to me and comes off as comical, even when he's supposed to be intimidating and threatening.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Level
    It depends. I'm not a huge fan of the goofy Negan with the back lean. The scary Negan -- like in the premiere or as he's killing Spencer in the MSF -- definitely deserves praise.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1246 Post(s)
    Level
    What is it about Hamm that makes him seem like a better Negan choice? I agree with @bboyRobert and others who think JDM is doing a fine job with the role.

The two actors have a similar look and are the same height. I am binge-ing Mad Men even as we speak and am about half way through season 5. I haven't seen it before, but because of all the buzz and awards surrounding that show, I finally decided to watch. Hamm is a fabulous actor - at least he was playing Don Draper. I haven't seen him in anything else. I've never seen JDM in anything but TWD. I'm sure Hamm would have played greatly the great mindfucker that is Negan, but JDM is owning it right now. I don't see anything in Negan that screams "Don Draper" that makes me think of Hamm. It doesn't have to, but I'm curious about what in Hamm screams Negan to you who would prefer it.

I'd love to hear.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm not even sure if it's him that is the problem for some people. It might just be that comic Negan doesn't translate to screen as well as people hoped he would. Other than the weird back lean and less cursing he is exactly what I imagined a live action Negan being (even most of the dialogue is the same). I don't mind him as much as some people (the back lean is getting annoying though) but it's clearly not working out for a lot of people. I think JDM is just the easy target and maybe the problem is more of just translating a comic character to a slightly more realistic live action version. Think about how they changed The Governor and I think most would agree that TV Governor is waaaaaaay better than comic Governor.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Level
    For me it's not that JDM is terrible it's more that Negan is dumb character that's poorly written and doesn't translate to tv very well. There are a few people that probably would've made a better Negan, but as long as the material's the same I doubt that it would've made a difference.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    I personally think it's just an issue on the writing and not how it's being acted. He's nearly a direct adaptation of comic Negan, which does and doesn't work well at times. Although, From what I see on social media the GA loves him. I see "I hate that I like him so much" a lot from people. I guess it really depends on how high of expectations you may have set for Negan's portrayal. I like JDM as Negan, besides the back lean and constant emphasis on words.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Awaiting Gimple's Replacement In Negan's Bed.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Level
    I think he's perfect. Always thought he would be since I seen the resident.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast