1. Back To Top    #21
    Status
    Team Dwerrylusional tabitha ate my stash's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    Yes, ma'am! I'm from Big D, home of the Dallas Cowboys and neighbor of Jerryworld! We named the celebration after Bobby Burns for the alliterative effect, but our hosts (long time dead now) were first generation Americans of Scottish descent who used an authentic recipe they worked hard over! Scottish formal attire was worn by the men, and all kinds of delectables were available for consumption!
    Bobby Burns Bash, Robbie Burns Bash, it's all the same after half a gallon of Scotch, and you can no longer tell whether Address to a Haggis is being recited in the original vernacular or it's English translation. That event sounds like so much fun. And is there nothing more fetching that traditional Scottish attire on a bloke (or female for that matter).

Your description of the festivities has left me salivating. I need to get out more. Preferably after a 24 hour plane journey.

You've been around!
    Not enough, I'm afraid. I love travel though. And I also have a trip to Chile on my bucket list!

Texas will be "enjoying" your 100+F weather soon enough, and you can complain about how cold it is to jealous me when that time comes. A July 4 ski trip to Chile is on my bucket list!
    I may have to nip down to Antarctica (or maybe Tierra del Fuego...heck, anywhere there's penguins) to jealous you when it heats up in your neck of the woods. I'm yet to experience actual "cold" in Australia. It would be quite literally like hell freezing over. Which is something I'd certainly welcome :)

2. Back To Top    #22
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by tabitha ate my stash View Post
    I barely venture outside during January in Oz due to the insane heat, and 25 Jan (R Burns Day) unfortunately also falls on the eve of the stupidest day of the year (I believe it's referred to as Idiots Day) where we convicts are supposed to celebrate the anniversary of being sent down to this shitty hellhole in 100F heat. As you may have detected, I am not the greatest patriot - hence my flying of the Dutch tricolour. (Actually I might change that ;)
    Amen!!!! Can I also add February and lets just put some of March in there. Your 'Idiots Day' homage should be on a huge monument at Botany Bay. Sounds like you escape this ass end of the world like I do. I always feel like a backward migratory bird.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy - ink View Post
    Amen!!!! Can I also add February and lets just put some of March in there. Your 'Idiots Day' homage should be on a huge monument at Botany Bay. Sounds like you escape this ass end of the world like I do. I always feel like a backward migratory bird.
    Absofreakinlutely! I'd also add April and even early May. I don't think we'll be seeing any signs of Spring for some time. Oh we can't forget December. Hoardes of aggro shoppers racing around trying buy overpriced seafood - which has to go straight into the esky so it doesn't turn on the way home....not to mention all the other Christmas trimmings. I just stick with salads, a bit of chook, desserts, imported stöllen, and quite an amount of booze. From eggnog to margaritas, aperitifs and, of course, plenty of cold Dutch beer.

That, or I just take flight to the northern hemisphere, as it sounds you do. I love your 'backward migratory bird' phrase. Puts it perfectly! It's like the fish-out-of-water one, except you can actually do something about it. I was born and raised here, but I never acclimitized.

Someone else started up the trend of calling it Idiot's Day. Invasion of the Idiots Day fits too. And yes there should be a bloody plaque, and everything should stay open. Provided the premises are airconditioned of course.

One day I'm just going to take flight...only this time I'm going to stay gone.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by tabitha ate my stash View Post
    Absofreakinlutely! I'd also add April and even early May. I don't think we'll be seeing any signs of Spring for some time. Oh we can't forget December. Hoardes of aggro shoppers racing around trying buy overpriced seafood - which has to go straight into the esky so it doesn't turn on the way home....not to mention all the other Christmas trimmings. I just stick with salads, a bit of chook, desserts, imported stöllen, and quite an amount of booze. From eggnog to margaritas, aperitifs and, of course, plenty of cold Dutch beer.

That, or I just take flight to the northern hemisphere, as it sounds you do. I love your 'backward migratory bird' phrase. Puts it perfectly! It's like the fish-out-of-water one, except you can actually do something about it. I was born and raised here, but I never acclimitized.

Someone else started up the trend of calling it Idiot's Day. Invasion of the Idiots Day fits too. And yes there should be a bloody plaque, and everything should stay open. Provided the premises are airconditioned of course.

One day I'm just going to take flight...only this time I'm going to stay gone.
    Thank god our numbers are growing! Let me be truly honest about my original statement, hand to heart, there are probably 4 days at the end of July/early August that I would consider cool, not cold. I'm being generous! The rest of the time it's like living in Satan's Ass. I am a lone wolf here amongst the heat sponges. When I dare mention a 'wintery' respite, I'm met with dumbfounded faces of 'Plugger Patriotism'! I'm a cold seeking missile, hence my December migration whenever I can. I'd love to live in a cold, foggy climate. I'm over the muggy grocery shop where the 'Coles cooler bag' barely keeps the milk from going off on the race home to the fridge. My biggest fear is not an apocalypse but my air con dying.

Sorry Craig. Welcome again in your beautiful birth place in the Northern Hemisphere!

5. Back To Top    #25
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Level
    @sleepy - ink . If only there were a Whinge For Australia contest where the prize was deportation FROM the colonies "back ta wheere ya ancestas came from if ya loike it so bloody much." We could enter as a team - we'd win by the length of an outback freight train. One of these in fact:

Especially considering the worst thing you can be in this country is a whinger. We rank behind the bludgers, the bogans...even kids in detention. Whilst serial killers are viewed as folk heroes and "fuckin' legends mate."

I'd even endure a plugga pisshead patriotism send-off like this one if it meant seeing their backsides for the very last time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLPDQs3nuU8

Aircon failure's my biggest fear as well. Plus when I turn the thing off I'm invaded by scampering huntsmen. You're so spot on: When you've been a daily captive in satan's arsehole, surviving the ZA would be a piece of piss by comparison.

We're talking the same country that has 'discounts on winter fuel bills' ffs – when we don't even have a winter! Meanwhile, summer fuel bills and heat related hols sickies and power outages cost 5 times that amount. I've never even owned a heater, let alone one of those disgusting stinking wood-burners emitting toxic particles throughout the 'burbs and towns. If I wanted to inhale dodgy chemicals into my lungs I'll roll my own, thanks.

Apologies again, Craig. Bet you didn't expect your intro thread to be hijacked by a couple of Aussies bonding over the hell that is Life Downunda. My excuse today is being a green-eyed monster with a blood-shot hangover.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Status
    Nine lives, remember? ✿ Cherokee Rose ✿'s Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum! :)

7. Back To Top    #27
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Hello Craig, welcome to the forums :D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Spoil The Dead is the largest & number one fansite for AMC's The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead, Image Comic's The Walking Dead, and the Telltale Games. Offering spoilers, games, and community to fans & zombie enthusiasts.