Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #11
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1016 Post(s)
    The last episode I watched was episode 3 and before that episode I sat right here and tried to explain away that he wasn't going to be portrayed as a rapist. After the episode I had to come right here and admit I was dead wrong. If a loved one's life is a stipulation then it's rape. It's a black and white decision. I see it as no different than a gun to the head. This will also include withholding medicine that the person will die without. If death is on the table than it's rape. Death eliminate the element of a mutually beneficial agreement.

Now, if we are talking privilege and a better life, then there is grey area there. I don't consider dope dealers that trade drugs for sex to be rapist. It's something I've seen a lot in my past years. Scumbags? Yes, but not rapists. As long as there is an option to say no and the girl does make the choice that the better life is worth it then I don't see it as rape. I recognize that the element of coercion is present and it certainly isn't the same as consensual sex, though.

I guess what I'm saying here is that it would be case to case with Negan.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Level
    Was it Sherry's idea or Negan's? I truly don't remember and it could be a deciding factor on that case.

If he said "become my wife or Dwight dies" I agree with rape.

If she suggested the arrangements I'm still leaning toward prostitution.

Also, I'm not defending the situation because he is an asshole either way. Just pondering if he is an asshole or a fucking asshole.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Level
    He's a rapist. He must like having sex with women who don't want it. Rape is about power more than the actual act itself. Negan stands for power. These women are given a choice but it's not really a choice. Either become part of the harem for a better life for yourself or your family or doom yourself for a life not worth living.
    It's interesting to me to read some of the guys on here don't think it's rape. I wonder is Negan's harem consisted of men instead of women if they'd feel differently.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Status
    Zombie Hoarder AllLifeIsPrecious's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Level
    It's even worse because he's a 40-year old man doing it to some women that are so young. Amber looks like she's 20 or maybe even younger, and Negan also wanted to marry/fuck Tina, who was 18.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Level
    It's interesting to read people's thoughts. I would have liked Negan to be played with more moral ambiguity so that Rick's actions, which directly caused the problem between the Alexandrians and the Saviors, wouldn't be such a clear case of good vs evil.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by whargoul View Post
    Was it Sherry's idea or Negan's? I truly don't remember and it could be a deciding factor on that case.

If he said "become my wife or Dwight dies" I agree with rape.

If she suggested the arrangements I'm still leaning toward prostitution.

Also, I'm not defending the situation because he is an asshole either way. Just pondering if he is an asshole or a fucking asshole.
    Negan claimed that Sherry volunteered to be his wife to stop him from killing Dwight when he was trying to convince Daryl to join him. But, we only have his version of those events - Dwight wasn't going to contradict him and Negan chooses to delude himself that the women are willing so, really, that's just semantics. Either way, Negan was still using his power over them to force Sherry to have sex with him. Sherry already knew that's what Negan wanted because he had already tried to rape Tina that way. So whether Sherry made the offer herself or Negan presented that as an option to save Dwight (which is probably what actually happened), doesn't really matter because Dwight's life was the hammer being used to force her to make that choice either way. And Negan would consider that as Sherry "volunteering" either way. And, either way, Negan was still the one with all the power because Dwight's life was always going to be on the line. So it comes down to the same thing. Sherry never had the option of changing her mind or getting a "divorce" because Negan would then kill Dwight. Sherry said it herself when Negan tried to say he'd never used physical violence against any of the women in his harem. He had done - and would do - worse than that. He took away their choices so it came down to their only options being to have sex with him or he would kill them and/or someone they loved. There's no gray area there - that's rape.

Negan has a very limited, narrow definition of rape - using physical violence to force someone to have sex. But he uses that as a means to delude himself that the women in his harem are willing and want to be with him because they "chose" to be there and he didn't use physical violence against them. The reality is that any kind of force or coercion is rape whether Negan wants to believe that or not. Using drugs or alcohol to inhibit someone's ability to say no is rape. Using coercion or blackmail to force someone to have sex is rape. Negan may not use physical violence to restrain and force these women to have sex with him, but he is forcing them to have sex with him through coercion and blackmail - and ironically using the threat of physical violence or killing people they care about as part of that coercion. Tina was given the options of "marrying" Negan or not having access to the insulin she needed to live - basically, have sex with Negan or die. Sherry's options were to have sex with Negan or Dwight would die - and he was burned with the iron regardless. Amber's options were to have sex with Negan or she and her mother would die - and her husband was also burned with the iron. That is rape regardless of Negan's delusions.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Level
    There's no question that Negan's a rapist IMO. The women clearly are not willing participants and are only with him to save themselves and their loved ones. Negan calls them his wives to justify the fact that he's in reality a rapist. I'm still trying to figure out why the OP mentioned Darabont. What's he have to do with Negan?

8. Back To Top    #18
    Status
    We could arrange to have you carried. AdamUpBxtch's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Level
    Eh i'm gonna delete this flawed argument I have until I do some proper research & I'll come back. Just got back from a college open house when I was writing this argument and I had that on my mind instead of TWD.

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    Darabont and Kirkman blew it here.
    Darabont is back???!!! Damn! He or AMC must of written one hell of an apology letter!

9. Back To Top    #19
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Diseman81 View Post
    There's no question that Negan's a rapist IMO. The women clearly are not willing participants and are only with him to save themselves and their loved ones. Negan calls them his wives to justify the fact that he's in reality a rapist. I'm still trying to figure out why the OP mentioned Darabont. What's he have to do with Negan?
    Exactly. When your only options are to have sex with Negan or die/watch a loved one die - it's rape. I still can't believe that there are people trying to pretend it's anything but rape.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Level
    Negan is a Rapist Terrible Character
    Much better

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast