Forgot your username?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Level

Dwight & Merle Similarities

If you really think about it, Dwight and Merle have a lot of similarities. They both have something done to their body that makes them stand out: Dwight's burnt face & Merle's hand amputated. Both have a connection to Daryl. Both switch sides for someone they care about (well, Dwight not official yet but it's looking that way): Dwight for Sherry and Merle for Daryl. Both lied to their leader about someone dying: Dwight said Sherry was dead and Merle said Michonne was dead. Both don't fit in to their respective groups: Dwight thrived at the sanctuary and Merle thrived at woodbury...both are outsiders with Ricks group..

If you get where I'm going with this then it's not looking good for Dwight. I honestly think Dwight will die in a similar way that Merle did. I think he will die helping Ricks group by doing something big to help them defeat Negan, similar to how Merle took on half of the Governors militia. I think this would make Dwight's character so much better if it goes this way. Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Level
    No. The only thing that is similar is they are both caught in the middle between 2 groups.

Other than that they are totally different characters.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    No. The only thing that is similar is they are both caught in the middle between 2 groups.

Other than that they are totally different characters.
    Yeah but the things i mentioned are things that both characters share between each other so yeah.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyRobert View Post
    Yeah but the things i mentioned are things that both characters share between each other so yeah.
    They are both white men too.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1242 Post(s)
    Level
    I really don't see any similarities between Dwight and Merle. Dwight had a wife and nice home pre ZA and was willing to stick his neck out to help someone (Tina), which Merle only did right before he died. Dwight served Negan only to protect Sherry, even violating his own conscience and overriding his own heartache to do so. I don't think Merle had a conscience, and I think he was incapable of loving a woman.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    I really don't see any similarities between Dwight and Merle. Dwight had a wife and nice home pre ZA and was willing to stick his neck out to help someone (Tina), which Merle only did right before he died. Dwight served Negan only to protect Sherry, even violating his own conscience and overriding his own heartache to do so. I don't think Merle had a conscience, and I think he was incapable of loving a woman.
    Well those are obviously things that they dont share in common lol. I mean story wise, they kinda are similar. Maybe not personality, but story wise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    They are both white men too.
    Yup that's true!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1242 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyRobert View Post
    Well those are obviously things that they dont share in common lol. I mean story wise, they kinda are similar. Maybe not personality, but story wise.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup that's true!
    I don't see it.

- - - Updated - - -

I reread your OP, and wanted to point out that Merle didn't switch sides for Daryl. He got on Gubner's badside and needed to get the hell out of dodge. It was, as always, all about Merle. Merle didn't even consider the benefit to Daryl of having The Family until right before he died.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    "We could arrange to have you carried." AdamUpBxtch's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Level
    Eh, I don't really see that many similarities between the two honestly. Yes, they are both caught between two groups, but that is as far as the similarities go. Merle is still my number 1 character on the show to this day and he's been dead for almost 4 seasons now, but he was an asshole. He always was and even in the end he only did what he did for Daryl, but he was a funny asshole which is why I liked him. Dwight can be an asshole, but he wasn't always like that & that isn't who he truly is. He puts on a show for Negan & the others in his group while in front of the other groups they have subjugated, like the scene with Rosita & Spencer where he pours out Rosita's water. If Dwight starts showing obvious sympathy for those groups in front of his peers & especially Negan, then he'll be in for some trouble & he's already on thin ice with the whole Tina debacle. Yeah Dwight & Merle's arcs are similar, but their characters are not.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    I don't see it.

- - - Updated - - -

I reread your OP, and wanted to point out that Merle didn't switch sides for Daryl. He got on Gubner's badside and needed to get the hell out of dodge. It was, as always, all about Merle. Merle didn't even consider the benefit to Daryl of having The Family until right before he died.
    Thats true. But, at the end of the day, he switched sides. He admittedly said he's there for Daryl. Daryl was never going anywhere. If it was all about Merle, Merle would of left. He was there because of his brother. He also wanted Governor dead. Dwight does to but Negan didnt purposely kick Dwight out like the governor did to merle. So i can see what you mean by not switching sides, merle didnt have a choice. Dwight is in a similar situation though as in Negan will find out about Sherry and Dwight will die. He has no choice but to switch sides, or at least try ro.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AdamUpBxtch View Post
    Eh, I don't really see that many similarities between the two honestly. Yes, they are both caught between two groups, but that is as far as the similarities go. Merle is still my number 1 character on the show to this day and he's been dead for almost 4 seasons now, but he was an asshole. He always was and even in the end he only did what he did for Daryl, but he was a funny asshole which is why I liked him. Dwight can be an asshole, but he wasn't always like that & that isn't who he truly is. He puts on a show for Negan & the others in his group while in front of the other groups they have subjugated, like the scene with Rosita & Spencer where he pours out Rosita's water. If Dwight starts showing obvious sympathy for those groups in front of his peers & especially Negan, then he'll be in for some trouble & he's already on thin ice with the whole Tina debacle. Yeah Dwight & Merle's arcs are similar, but their characters are not.
    MERLE IS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER TOO!!!!!

Yeah, I was mainly talking about their arcs. The things I pointed out were mainly about their stories, not much about their personalities.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamUpBxtch View Post
    Looking back at Chupacabra, one of the best episodes ever IMO, we get the sense of who Merle really was and what he represented to Daryl. Those were the days when the show had meaning. We had a sense of Merle's harshness as well as his caring for his little brother. (all right it was a channeled conversation, but it was real) They shared a very scarred and horrifying youth together, but the memory of their sharing lasted - Merle's influence and spirit brought his little brother through to survive. His methods may have been harsh but he did bring him through and did cause him to survive. Merle had a strength of character I don't see at all in Dwight, who may have meant well for Sherry, but it was a rather selfish consideration. Would have loved to see Merle vs. Negan.