1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    But everyone knew her as Nancy Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1270 Post(s)
    Level

Comicbook.com - Why The Walking Dead Season 8 Might Be Delayed Indefinitely

The long off-season for The Walking Dead might get longer.

The AMC series is currently set to begin production on its eighth season in the beginning of May but there might be one thing holding that back: a writer's strike.

The Writers Guild is currently holding out on a contract negotiation, seeking more money for the folks putting the pen to the paper for our favorite TV shows and movies. While much of Season 8 of The Walking Dead will likely have been written by the time production begins, the scripts are property of those Guild members who are aiming to strike.

http://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/...iters-strike-/

In addition to the show, it looks like spoiler season may be delayed for us.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Level
    I saw this earlier, but was unable to C&P the link for some reason. Didn't want to just outright plagiarize it.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    I can see good television writers wanting more money. But if anything, the writers for TWD only deserve a demotion in pay. Why the hell do they deserve a pay raise? For turning a once very entertaining and original show into a watered down version of itself? For writing MAYBE 4 good episodes out of 16 a year? For not being able to write their own, main characters with any consistency or interesting arcs? This kind of performance doesn't deserve a raise. If any of us under performed in our jobs the way these clowns do we'd probably all be fired.

And to add insult to injury; This place is going to be deader than dead without filming spoilers. Not like they're as big of a draw as they once used to be. You know, like when people still cared a lot because the WRITING was better. I foresee a lot of action in the water cooler section this summer.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Level
    Hmm, curious. Yeah, I am kind of on the other side of the fence here. Let them strike and hire some new blood so that not everything on TV is always predictable and the same, seriously. It is like they follow a required standardized formula based on lab ape/monkey/rat responses to television programs. Oh shit, his dopamine levels just went up, more of THAT!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Level
    Do you think the quality of writing has gone down perhaps due to budget cuts from AMC, resulting in replacing good writers with inferior writers, or maybe because the writers are told what to write and have no creative freedom? I'd rather think that, and given Gimple's close association with the investors I'd be more inclined to believe that it's a financial consideration. Whatever, it may be a good development for the show in general. Lord knows it could use one.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dixon View Post
    I can see good television writers wanting more money. But if anything, the writers for TWD only deserve a demotion in pay. Why the hell do they deserve a pay raise? For turning a once very entertaining and original show into a watered down version of itself? For writing MAYBE 4 good episodes out of 16 a year? For not being able to write their own, main characters with any consistency or interesting arcs? This kind of performance doesn't deserve a raise. If any of us under performed in our jobs the way these clowns do we'd probably all be fired.
    To be fair, John, the show is still massively popular despite the garbage, and it's still making AMC money, so they are doing their jobs right. They could literally smear their own shit on paper and people will still tune in every Sunday and shell out cash for merch. As much as I agree that the show follows a gimmicky, annoying, formulaic piece of shit structure, the writers are obviously doing something right if they plan to run this bitch for another ten years or whatever.

Television is a business, and quality in business is irrelevant - it's all about the moneyzzzz.

I am secretly hoping that they do get canned for striking and get replaced with someone who gives a shit. But one can only hope lol.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    The last time there was a writer's strike some late-night hosts wrote their own material and stayed on the air. I propose that Danai take a turn at writing for the show. She was nominated for a Tony, I think she is up the a few episodes of TWD.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MargotM. View Post
    To be fair, John, the show is still massively popular despite the garbage, and it's still making AMC money, so they are doing their jobs right. They could literally smear their own shit on paper and people will still tune in every Sunday and shell out cash for merch. As much as I agree that the show follows a gimmicky, annoying, formulaic piece of shit structure, the writers are obviously doing something right if they plan to run this bitch for another ten years or whatever.

Television is a business, and quality in business is irrelevant - it's all about the moneyzzzz.

I am secretly hoping that they do get canned for striking and get replaced with someone who gives a shit. But one can only hope lol.
    I think that speaks to the stupidity of the masses then. I'm not saying everyone who watches the show is a lower form of life. But you'd have to blind not to realize there are some dumb fucktards walking around these days. I still watch because I rarely quit watching a show once I've started it. If I could watch True Blood's last 3 seasons without quitting, I can watch anything, lol. But when I watch other shows that are obviously of a higher quality, most recently for me, shows like Legion and Taboo. And then you flip this show on, there's no comparison. TWD is completely inferior to these shows writing.

TWD gives just enough effort to get a passing grade. They give what they feel the stupid masses want to see. What they don't do is give any intelligent viewers something to wet their whistle with. I don't consider giving us perhaps 4 good episodes out of 16 in a season to be doing their jobs right. The fact that they can literally smear their own shit on a piece of paper and people will still watch shows the lack of intelligent viewership. And the fact that the all mighty dollar is, as always, more important than the final product. If they tired to smarten the show up they'd probably lose too many of these stupid moron viewers to be able to feed Cartman for the year and keep Gimpy in those ugly sport coats he likes so much. They'd have numbers more like that of Taboo and Legion. Last I checked, they're both coming back next season despite the fact they aren't cash cows. I'm sorry, but I'm tired of stupidity always winning out. I think the writing is inconsistent and for the most part, predictable and boring. Sue me if I'm smarter than most of the GA.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Level
    @John Dixon - you're right about the story being written for/to the lowest common denominator. That's what's happened to this show. It shifted gears to vicarious interests, and once in a great while throw in a bone that carries with it some intelligence, suspense, and actual interest. This show deserves the writer's strike. It couldn't hurt.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Simple. Blame Gimple. buttercup's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dixon View Post
    I think that speaks to the stupidity of the masses then. I'm not saying everyone who watches the show is a lower form of life. But you'd have to blind not to realize there are some dumb fucktards walking around these days. I still watch because I rarely quit watching a show once I've started it. If I could watch True Blood's last 3 seasons without quitting, I can watch anything, lol. But when watch other shows that are obviously of a higher quality, most recently for me, shows like Legion and Taboo. And then you flip this show on, there's no comparison. TWD is completely inferior to these shows writing.

TWD gives just enough effort to get a passing grade. They give what they feel the stupid masses want to see. What they don't do is give any intelligent viewers something to wet their whistle with. I don't consider giving us perhaps 4 good episodes out of 16 in a season to be doing their jobs right. The fact that they can literally smear their own shit on a piece of paper and people will still watch shows the lack of intelligent viewership. And the fact that the all mighty dollar is, as always, more important than the final product. If they tired to smarten the show up they'd probably lose too many of these stupid moron viewers to be able to feed Cartman for the year and keep Gimpy in those ugly sport coats he likes so much. They'd have numbers more like that of Taboo and Legion. Last I checked, they're both coming back next season despite the fact they aren't cash cows. I'm sorry, but I'm tired of stupidity always winning out. I think the writing is inconsistent and for the most part, predictable and boring. Sue me if I'm smarter than most of the GA.
    Wow, you are better than I am. I could not watch the last episode of True Blood, after hanging on through all the shit.

I don't think writers will write if there is a strike because then aren't they called scabs or something like that? I know some fantastic fan fiction writers who write beautiful stuff - and not just romantic stuff. They know the characters inside and out because they are true fans. Give them a chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast