View Poll Results: Do You Consider Pro Wrestling A Real Sport?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 16.67%
  • No

17 70.83%
  • Undecided

3 12.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #11
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't consider it a sport, because in sport there should be real competition between parties. Fake competition simply does not count.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status
    Queen Rose of The Kingdom Carl's Right Eye's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Wrestling is a sport to the extent that wrestlers have to stay in good shape and they do risk actual injury. However, it's mostly entertainment with a lot of fakeness.

I know Ted DiBiase, Jr. and he recounted the many injuries he sustained during his career which caused him to retire. Sometimes things don't go as planned in the ring.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    360 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshLail View Post
    Wrestling that's in school, yes. Stuff like WWE? No.
    I agree, in high school and college it's definitely a sport. I won't deny that most WWE wrestlers are physically conditioned athletes, but so are dancers. Wrestlers do entertain, I'll give them that. A sport to me is a fair competition where the outcome is not predetermined, and contains an element of surprise for everyone involved.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Level
    Wrestlers are definitely athlete's, but wrestling is only entertainment IMO. With predetermined outcomes I just can't consider it a sport.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1016 Post(s)
    It's still real to me, dammit!

6. Back To Top    #16
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    606 Post(s)
    Level
    WWE calls it "Sports entertainment"

So I suppose if you look at it that way its a fictional sport. The Mighty Ducks movies aren't real but they are still sports movies and Wrestling itself is actually a sport that has been in the Olympics and everything (Pro Wrestler Kurt Angle actually won an Olympic gold medal), but the way WWE does it is not technically a sport.

Even if you know it's fake that doesn't mean you can't suspend your disbelief and enjoy the story they are telling you as if it is real. It's like watching something on Broadway that is sports based but with the actors being crazy stuntmen.

That said, a lot of wrestlers were actual wrestlers or athletes long before they started pro wrestling and wrestling fans typically do get invested in wrestlers behind the scenes like people get invested in real sports athletes because they all work their asses off too whether that be having a great move set, being good on mic, making what they are doing look effortless, telling stories in the ring and wrestlers have just as much if not more injuries than professional athletes because they are on the road 300 days a year and its very easy to fuck up and get injured.

People act like wrestlers getting titles is a big deal because even though it's fake all of their hard work is being paid off. The WWE or wherever they work finally sees value in them. Some guys never get to win titles and some guys it takes years and years for WWE to see value in them and then they finally get the title if they are fortunate enough. These guys dedicate their lives to pro wrestling.

And yeah, there is guys like The Rock that were handed a lot of titles pretty quickly because of how they look or who their family is or even just being naturally gifted but for every Rock there is 100 guys that have spent 15+ years in Wrestling busting there ass to get to the top. You look at a guy like Daniel Bryan who it took over a decade just for him to make it to WWE and then a few years later he finally wins the title but almost as quickly as he got it he lost it because his body couldn't hold up anymore and he had to retire or he'd end up paralyzed. Him destroying his body wrestling in front of 50 people a night on the independent circuit before ever getting to WWE is what got him noticed because he didn't have all the things guys like The Rock had but it's also what ended his career at 35 so people get emotionally invested in these guys because they know how much they put in to it. There is a reason why most wrestlers die young or are forced to retire at a young age. Even the guys that didn't retire young are still paying the price.

Look at a guy like Mick Foley who has to live every single day with what he put his body through when he was still wrestling. There is a reason why the guy walks around aching all day with a limp, scars all over his body, missing a ear, etc

The reason why it seems as if people think wrestling is real is because it is real to them in a way. Not for the reason everyone thinks they think it's real. Most people don't think the wins and losses are real and most people don't think the guys feuding actually hate each other and the punches and kicks aren't real unless it's an accident or they are trying to make it look stiff for storyline purposes but there are some things that aren't fake. You can't fake being slammed on your back, you can't fake being hit with a weapon (and that's why they don't hit people with chairs in the head much anymore in wrestling because of concussions and because of what happened with Chris Benoit), you can't fake injuries and you can't fake the wrestlers real story of what it took to actually get where he/she is and how much effort they actually put in to it.

Wrestling isn't a sport. It's sports entertainment and people get invested in it as if it is a real sport because there are actual real things in wrestling just not the things that are portrayed as real. Think of them like actors if actors did all of their stunts 300 days a year with no rest because they are constantly traveling just to entertain you. Watch the documentary "Beyond the Mat" or watch the movie "The Wrestler". Even non wrestling fans can watch those.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Level
    Many games of physical activity are considered sport by the dictionary, but in our culture's use of the word, I'd have to say no, it's not a sport.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    I'm actually going to be a dick here (surprise!) and despite you saying in your OP that you weren't going by the dictionary definition, use that in saying that it in fact sums up wrestling for those who enjoy it. "Competing against each other for entertainment". The level of skill is not diminished by matches being scripted. The level of enjoyment isn't either, and it certainly ignites passion within the fans the same way as "proper" sports do. So to me it's a sport. Even if the emphasis is on entertainment, and if that makes me delusional it's fine. I'll be in good company.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Status
    Waiting for Aaron to get more screentime.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Level
    Hell no it's not

While the wrestlers are highly trained and fit a match with a predetermined winner and loser just does not count. Not to mention all of the scripting and "behind the scenes" stuff. Well I just realized I'm basically saying what others have said exactly, oh well.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1016 Post(s)
    It is highly competitive. I'm going to do some mental gymnastics here to make a point. If you look at it a certain ways it's not too much unlike a sport where there are judges to score an athlete's performance in points. Except instead of judges you have a creative team. The wrestlers have got to go out there and perform and based on their performance and the reaction they get from the crowd that's is where they are going to be placed in the standings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast