1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level

Mother of TWD Stuntman to File Lawsuit

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/john...er-1202540720/

The mother of John Bernecker has hired an attorney who won $11.2 mill verdict in the "Midnight Rider" train accident.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    640 Post(s)
    Level
    The guy was a stunt man. He knew the risks he was taking..she has no right to sue if you ask me. I'm not saying amc aren't careless fucks. But this guy signed up to do work that could potentially kill him

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level
    We all do things everyday that we know could result in death, riding in a vehicle, walking down the street, getting in a elevator and the list goes on. That doesn't mean you don't deserve protection from the negligence, stupidity, and mistakes of others that result in harm to you. He certainly bears responsibility for taking on the risk of his chosen profession, but others choose to take on the responsibility of making sure he was made as safe a possible in doing the stunt. His mother deserves to have the matter fully investigated and she deserves compensation if neglect is found. I know that may be a rosy view of how the legal system should work, however, as she may very well receive a settlement with out this even going to trial.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm assuming an investigation was conducted right after the incident by an outside party, that's usually how this kinda thing works if it's a serious injury/death. The fact that they are still in production and filming makes me think that nothing that screamed negligence was found. If that were the case AMC would be under much more scrutiny and investigation.

Personally i I think this mother is just putting her grief in the wrong place and trying to get some kind of resolve by doing this. The attorney she hired got that big win with the "Midnight Rider" but that was a whole different case. From what I've read the production of that movie wasn't approved to be shooting on the train tracks that resulted in the cameraman's death. In this case it's just seems like a stunt that went wrong and it was less negligence and more of just a freak accident.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Level
    I mean it's his fault but they should cough up a bit since he did die for their show. A couple million aint gonna hurt AMC.

I know where I live if you get hurt at your job they have to pay you until you can return to work even if it's your fault. Since he died there they should pay up something because even if it's his fault he never would have died had he not been there. At least that day. lol. Doesn't mean it's AMC's fault though.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    All that $$$ won't bring her kid back.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Waiting for Aaron to get more screentime.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Level
    It was a goddamn ACCIDENT and in that line of work, that risk is always there. But yeah, let's shovel out millions for this hurt mother.

Anything for the almighty dollar mi'rite?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    She shouldn't get any extra money for it. This situation is completely different from filming without permission on active railroad tracks. If the stunt people and the stuntman deemed it safe enough before performing it, nobody else should be blamed. Freak accidents happen all the time. Sucks most for the actual stuntman.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Level
    I look at it more like charity or a severance package. LOL.

It's the least they can do even if it's not their fault and they don't have to. I'm not saying to give them hundreds of millions either. Maybe like 2-5 million to fuck off and if they don't take it they can go fuck themselves because they got greedy. A couple million is pennies to AMC.

That said, it probably should go to whatever his closest family is like his girlfriend or kids if he has any. Unless he and his mother lived together I don't really see how she should be getting anything. For all we know he and this old cunt had a falling out and no longer talk and she just wants to jump in and get some free money.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Level
    Immediate family have to handle the funerary costs and medical bills. Death isn't free. Then there's insurance money. I see a settlement on the horizon. People are really jumping to conclusions comparing the two movie accidents and assuming that the mother is gunning for AMC in the same vein. The lawyer's track record with that case means they don't fuck around and know the law. I wouldn't put it past AMC to go cheapjack on this. I mean they financially fuck their moneymakers on their number one show. What's an unknown (to the general public) stuntman's death to them? The mum is doing the right thing. I laugh at people jumping to conclusions that it's all about the money. Clearly you've never lost a loved one to a work related accident and had to deal with the costs financially. You also have no fucking clue if the stuntman might have been supporting his mother. Wait and see before gunning for this mother. Unless you're working on the show, you are not privy to what happened; how, and what AMC has been doing in regards to the death beyond what you read, and for what it's worth: there isn't a lot out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast