Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Level

The Walking Dead Ratings for 8x05

Starting an over-arching thread here so we don't keep making 50 threads a season about it.

Viewership for episode 5 fell to 7.85 million.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dai...s-nov-19-2017/

Viewership averaged across the first five episodes of season 8 is 9.08 million, down from 12.72 million in season 7, 13.15 million for season 6, and the peak of 14.86 million for season 5.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Level
    Eewwww under 8 ha ha ha ha

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    724 Post(s)
    Level
    What's been everyone's personal experiences with their friends: how many have stopped watching and how many will keep watching. I know of one that;s stopped watching, one still watching and a couple who keep saying they're going to get caught up but never do. Small sample size.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    What's been everyone's personal experiences with their friends: how many have stopped watching and how many will keep watching. I know of one that;s stopped watching, one still watching and a couple who keep saying they're going to get caught up but never do. Small sample size.
    Everyone that l used to talk the show with have stopped I'm talkin work, friends they've all bailed. It used to be in work there'd be 6 or 7 talkin every Monday not now. Thanks gimple

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    At the rate this is going....what can be done to bring it back up? Major character death? Better plot direction? More Tara in less clothing?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Level
    I have no one left who watches the show on the night it airs. All my family has dropped it. My friends have mostly dropped it, with two exceptions. Two friends who watched from the beginning with me (we used to watch together but that stopped during S6) are now watching it later. One watches a few days later and the other lets several episodes pile up. They are both disenchanted with the show, citing cliffhangers, lack of interest in the storylines and new characters since they got to Alexandria (especially Negan), and their #1 complaint: tired of the characters they cared about all those years being separated all the time. No doubt this resentment has led to them not becoming invested in any of the characters introduced since S5. They were also very very pissed over Glenn’s death.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Level
    Major character deaths boost ratings for one episode and then cause a decline in ratings for all the rest of the episodes that follow without that major character being able to be a part of it anymore. People will tune in to see the circus, but when the "big deal" character is gone from then on, what's there to keep those shock-value lovers around to watch the rest?(see season 7 premiere.) I think to gain ratings from here, the best thing to do would be to write better plots and characters. Less explosions and signature weapons and vehicles that are treated with more respect than the characters and more heart and plot. Less characters who are "badass" and more who are human - relatable - ones who make you feel happy or sad along with them instead of "Oooh! they blew things up again! Ahhh!!" I think they've been putting more emphasis lately on trying for just basic excitement rather than to elicit the more powerful emotions they used to go for. This show can make people cry if they do it right - and not of boredom. They've got to care more about writing a character whose story goes somewhere and matters, and whose possible/eventual death is emotional and whose loved ones grow from it... rather than writing a death that will be gross and horrific and awesome and totally fucking metal and then deciding later which character is expendable enough to get said death. It seems they write deaths with much more thought than they write lives.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by wallykay View Post
    At the rate this is going....what can be done to bring it back up? Major character death? Better plot direction? More Tara in less clothing?
    Plenty can be done to alleviate the problem before season 9 airs:

- A new showrunner and writers, which would then hopefully alleviate the questionable character choices, allow for character development to create more fan favorites, and return the series to realistic dialogue
    - Increase the budget to allow for better effects
    - Going off the last point, increase the budget or decrease the number of episodes from 16 to more like 10 to reduce filler/allow the plot to progress quicker
    - Announce an end game - It doesn't have to be season 9, 10, or even 11. Just announce an end so people know that the series is actually building to something and not just wandering around like a zombie

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Simple. Blame Gimple. buttercup's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Level
    Just ran into a friend today whose first words to me were "I don't watch it anymore!" - he says it looks cheap, he hates the back and forth jumps and how slow the show moves. He says it is not must see tv. I am the only one of my friends still hanging in there and I even turned the tv off seven minutes before the show ended the other night. It's just boring.

Gimple is too tied up in artsy story telling and it is hard to follow. Why can't he tell a straight forward story and not leave characters dangling, not being seen for five or six episodes? They need new writers and a new showrunner but NOT Nicotero.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by wallykay View Post
    Just reboot the entire thing to be honest. Spend an entire season or 2 with interesting storylines DURING the fall of society(what FTWD promised it would be but failed), multiple interesting locations that aren't the same forest in bumfuck georgia, more focus in the human conditioning during the apocalypse, a bigger endgame.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast