Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

Why is Negan Disliked on TWD - Is It the Actor's Portrayl or the Character?

Just curious..... There's a lot of dislike and 'hope he dies' vibe about Negan on Talking Dead and other mediums. I'm just wondering is it the graphic comic character and it's realisation on TWD or the actor's interpretation? I personally like Jeffrey Dean Morgan and his 'Negan'. Having said that, I've never read the Graphic Novel hence my interest.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    I think it's just the character not translating well from comic to TV screen, so they had to give him that stupid leaning while talking to compensate from the lack of swearing.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm not a comic reader so I can only judge the tv character, but I find him over the top & cartoonish. Not menacing at all. I don't know if it's the actor's delivery or just the lines he's given or what, but he's more ridiculous than scary to me.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Level
    Prior to Negan's appearance, there was a lot of anticipation and talk about what a great character he was/is. I was dreading Glenn's death and I was prepared to really hate Negan for it, but somehow, I just ended up hating tptb for killing Glenn.

I don't know if JDM is a terrific actor, but I get the feeling that he is playing Negan just the way tptb want him to. IMO, Negan is too comical. His mannerisms are over the top and distracting, his dialogue is ridiculous and excessively long winded, his whistling is supposed to be creepy, but it's not, and I just don't think he is very bright.

I can't figure out why Simon, or any other Savior with half a backbone, has not challenged him or why there hasn't been a coup. He walks around armed with only Lucille after all. Negan in TWD is like casting Dory in Jaws.

Physically, I was expecting a much more muscular guy in the role, JDM is much too slight, however I think that could have been overlooked if he wasn't so laughable.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    So do you think the writer's have screwed up severely with Negan? Jsffrey Dean Morgan is a good actor and seems suited to the role. Or am I missing something????

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryGold View Post
    Prior to Negan's appearance, there was a lot of anticipation and talk about what a great character he was/is. I was dreading Glenn's death and I was prepared to really hate Negan for it, but somehow, I just ended up hating tptb for killing Glenn.

I don't know if JDM is a terrific actor, but I get the feeling that he is playing Negan just the way tptb want him to. IMO, Negan is too comical. His mannerisms are over the top and distracting, his dialogue is ridiculous and excessively long winded, his whistling is supposed to be creepy, but it's not, and I just don't think he is very bright.

I can't figure out why Simon, or any other Savior with half a backbone, has not challenged him or why there hasn't been a coup. He walks around armed with only Lucille after all. Negan in TWD is like casting Dory in Jaws.

Physically, I was expecting a much more muscular guy in the role, JDM is much too slight, however I think that could have been overlooked if he wasn't so laughable.
    Sorry I missed your input before I posted my small thought. I agree with your comments. If he was more bulked up, as in past roles, his presence would be more intimidating, given his height as well. He has that 'charm your pants off smile' with an ability to turn. If the tptb instructed JDM that's a truly sad thought. The over the top gesturing was a downfall but I thought he seemed more restrained especially with Eugene in tonight's episode. Is it too late for Negan? I weirdly like him 'back bending' and all.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy - ink View Post
    Sorry I missed your input before I posted my small thought. I agree with your comments. If he was more bulked up, as in past roles, his presence would be more intimidating, given his height as well. He has that 'charm your pants off smile' with an ability to turn. If the tptb instructed JDM that's a truly sad thought. The over the top gesturing was a downfall but I thought he seemed more restrained especially with Eugene in tonight's episode. Is it too late for Negan? I weirdly like him 'back bending' and all.
    Never say never, I guess. I am at the point of tuning out his scenes. He did a good job during the walkie scene with Rick and finding out about Carl. Toning him down is a good idea.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

His creepiest scene to me was him in the dream garden with Judith, kind of pedophilic vibes from him there. Yuck.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    Shitting pants is the correct answer. No more calls.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    JDM is a good actor, but this role doesn't really suit him. He's far too comical and jokey. He comes across as a goofball villain, and it makes it really hard to buy into it. He isn't physically intimidating, and Simon is far better of a bad guy than him. It's really hard to believe him as this badass leader of a huge group of people, so in awe of him that they kneel in his presence.

To answer your question, I think it's a mix of both.

They should have gone with Henry Rollins.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Level
    Because he leans back like an idiot, sways his hips around and. over. Expresses. Every. Single. Word.

He’s like a Disney villian.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast