Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Back To Top    #21
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    615 Post(s)
    Level
    He didn't fit the tone of the show when he was first introduced. The tone has changed a lot since then to fit him so I think he fits a lot better now. Plus, he doesn't do as many long speeches as he used to. He doesn't do his lean as much now and they've also toned him down a lot and made Simon seem like more of the bad guy now so I can see why some are starting to like him more now.

I always thought JDM was a great actor and I've gotten more used to him as the show has went on. At first the first negative opinion I really had of the guy was that he wasn't the JDM everyone wanted. Everyone wanted the bigger JDM from Watchmen to play Negan and he showed up looking like a skeleton.

But other than that. I didn't have too many problems with JDM himself. A lot of it was on the writers and how they were using him. At times it was great. At times it was bad. The lean was always annoying though. But like I said, I think Negan is better now. That is one of the few improvements the show has made is that Negan has consistently gotten better.

That said, I wanted Bruce Campbell to be Negan.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    723 Post(s)
    Level
    I wonder if it has anything to do with David Morissey's portrayal of the Governor. He looked more like Negan than the comic book governor and had all of the menace without the jokiness.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Level
    David Morrissey was a worthwhile villain. He got his just rewards.
    Negan is a monster. He loves to torture his victims. He made fun of a sick pregnant woman and then beat her husband to death in front of her. (probably so he could add her to his harem). Even harmless like Olivia were murdered needlessly just because he's Negan and people don't matter to him. He is a childish miserable villain who IMO has ruined this show.
    He a living cartoon. His behavior is inexcusable and the attempts to normalize him are an additional atrocity.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Level
    Negan in the comics started off as a great character. Then Kirkman did Kirkman things and turned him into garbage.

Gimple didn't feel like fucking around though. He went straight for the garbage. And that's what we got.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    615 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomis210 View Post
    Negan in the comics started off as a great character. Then Kirkman did Kirkman things and turned him into garbage.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

6. Back To Top    #26
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

7. Back To Top    #27
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Level
    The problem lies in a number of things. Definitely not Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who does a good, often great job at bring the character to life.
    First problem: Negan entered the series with a bang. I was scared shitless of him in his first couple of episodes. He seemed like (and obviously was) a genuinely disturbing and murderous character. Since then, we've seen him kill a couple of people off (in lame ways) and just swagger around like a cartoon villain. He rarely appears threatening anymore and when he does, there's just no way for him to live up to what he was in the first episodes he appeared in.
    Second problem: The plot. He was made to appear threatening and dangerous in his first two episodes. After that, he was given a lame storyline. His killing of Spencer and then the Doctor at the sanctuary were almost camp comedy and were created just to try and make him still seem dangerous. Season 8 has seen him made into a slightly better rounded villain, in terms of his interactions with his colleagues at the sanctuary and Rick, but now that Simon has emerged, he seems like a bit of an irrelevance. It's a shame, because Negan is (or should be) a great creation in the story. It just hasn't quite worked out that well on screen.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieBek View Post
    YES Henry Rollins all the way! I like JDM, he's a great actor but HR would have been a better choice. Although I don't think he's very tall.
    Rollins is definitely short. But I would have loved to see him play Negan nonetheless.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    I think Negan is so hated because the characters appear to have no redeeming qualities. At least in the first couple of season. But it drag on way too long. A villain should be killed off after 1 season, if he kept around for longer than that, he should be brought into the group. Negan stuck around way way too long. They had plenty of opportunities to kill him, but didn't. Which made the heroes (re: Rick ,Michonne,Maggie and Daryl) look weak. Negan really should have died a long time ago.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123