Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Level

Daryl Sending Dwight Away

So why banish him, after everything he did for Rick and his people? Even Negan admitted that Dwight didn't sell them out on purpose.

And did Daryl just take it upon himself to send him away, or was everyone on board with that? I mean, even Tara had decided Dwight was helping her when he shot her instead of letting Simon do it.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't get it either. Dwight redeemed himself by the end of the war. I'm curious to know if we'll find out if everyone was on board with that, or if it was just Daryl.

I'm also hoping that Dwight comes back in some form next season.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Level
    I think it was Daryl acting on his own, he seems to be filled with piss and vinegar these days. Even though I'm glad for Dwight's chance to find Sherry, I don't think Daryl should have banished him.

There's a problem when people in a group start making unilateral decisions.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    I didn't like how that played out either. Especially since there was nothing leading up to that scene other than a blurry Dwight and Daryl hopping into a pickup truck in the background of a scene. Why would Dwight even get in a car with Daryl? He knew how Daryl felt and what Daryl wanted to do to him at the end.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I believe there's some underlying concern for Sherry. In one of the previous episodes Daryl and Dwight had a brief conversation about Sherry. I thought he said something about if Sherry was out there they would find her. I believe Daryl set Dwight free in the only way that Daryl knew how. The character is not warm and fuzzy. I've only seen Daryl be warm twice in 8 seasons and that was after Carl died when he apologized to Rick and after Glenn died in a conversation with Maggie. I actually didn't view his actions as an exile but Daryl acting as only Daryl can act. His mouth said, "if I ever see you again I'll kill you." His actions said, go get your girl. It wasn't the same as when Rick exiled Carol in my opinion. Dwight didn't have any real friends on either side. He could have easily been killed by a number of people. Daryl made sure that Dwight left safely, gave him a ride, and walked back to his destination on foot. His actions indicate that he wasn't really bitter. Perhaps Daryl felt like he owed Sherry something (speculation).

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Level
    I was thinking "what the fuck" during the scene. Then I remembered what Dwight did to Daryl when he was only offering help to him and Sherry. So maybe he still holds a grudge. I know I would be for killing Denise. But I don't think Daryl needed to banish him. Seems pointless. I do hope Dwight finds Sherry now. I don't want him to be gone forever. He needs to head back to the Sanctary and be the leader of the Saviors. Then again that place probably holds a lot of bad memories.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Hissyfit View Post
    I believe there's some underlying concern for Sherry. In one of the previous episodes Daryl and Dwight had a brief conversation about Sherry. I thought he said something about if Sherry was out there they would find her. I believe Daryl set Dwight free in the only way that Daryl knew how. The character is not warm and fuzzy. I've only seen Daryl be warm twice in 8 seasons and that was after Carl died when he apologized to Rick and after Glenn died in a conversation with Maggie. I actually didn't view his actions as an exile but Daryl acting as only Daryl can act. His mouth said, "if I ever see you again I'll kill you." His actions said, go get your girl. It wasn't the same as when Rick exiled Carol in my opinion. Dwight didn't have any real friends on either side. He could have easily been killed by a number of people. Daryl made sure that Dwight left safely, gave him a ride, and walked back to his destination on foot. His actions indicate that he wasn't really bitter. Perhaps Daryl felt like he owed Sherry something (speculation).
    This is a very nice way of looking at Daryl's actions. I don't believe it, though, especially after learning that Daryl has joined the Axis. He really didn't seem like he was having kind thoughts. Dwight's loyal to Rick, but he was contenting himself with knowing Negan was out of power. Daryl can't trust which way Dwight would go so he got rid of him.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Occasional Proud Apologist Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1214 Post(s)
    Level
    I hated to see Dwight turned out, but I understand that in Daryl's mind he was showing Dwight mercy. Look at all Dwight did to Daryl: took his motorcycle and vest to return to Negan after Daryl had shown him mercy, took a big risk to return the insulin for Sherry's sister, and helped Dwight and Sherry avoid the Saviors looking for them in the woods; killed Denise and threatened to kill Daryl, Rosita, and Eugene; shot Daryl in the shoulder and took him to the clearing where Dwight was a part of the group that killed Glenn and Abe and terrorized the rest of them; locked Daryl naked in a cell, fed him dog food sandwiches, and tortured him with Easy Street. Frankly, I think it was only for Sherry that Daryl allowed Dwight to live.

Did Daryl have the right to act unilaterally? He thinks so, just like he thought Tara had the right to kill Dwight. At the moment, there's really no system of government with Rick's group. Maggie and Zeke have some sort of system. Rick's been too focused on war to think about justice, but I think his handling of Negan is his first step.

I hope Dwight will not be gone too long, or if he is I hope we'll see him from time to time. I can only hope that a little time (which on this show could cover seasons!) will soften Daryl's mind toward Dwight as, perhaps, Eugene can explain the risks Dwight took to help TF. Yes, Negan did clear Dwight on the sabotage issue; but I think Daryl's anger, fueled to an even higher level when he witnessed Maggie's angst over Rick's failure to kill Negan, was part of what's driving Daryl right now.

I hope Team Dwerrylusional will experience the satisfaction of a Dwerry reunion early in season 9!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Waiting for Aaron to get more screentime.
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Level
    Dwight will be back next season and if he's sacrificed because of Daryl plot then screw this show and it's civil war.

I think Dwight will be back with Sherry in tow (this is just my fantasy) and he'll be accept e back into the group.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    Daryl has been pretty vicious since escaping from the Sanctuary – remember Morales, the surrendering Savior, the fight with Rick over the explosives, the truck ramming the Sanctuary?

Considering where he was a couple of episodes ago, Daryl showed considerable mercy to the man who stole his bike and crossbow, killed Denise while aiming for Daryl, shot and took him prisoner, was complicit in the murders of Glenn and Abraham and tortured Daryl.

I think Daryl let Dwight go because he both listened to Tara and maybe even Rick and remembered his debt to Sherry. I’ll be surprised if we see Dwight again – there was a feeling of finality about his last scene at his home.

Despite his mercy towards Dwight, Daryl probably still wants Negan dead and thus we have the Hilltop conspiracy, which I suspect is about killing Negan and not ousting Rick. They are acting unilaterally, but so is Rick. He is no longer the boss of everyone.

Team Maggie!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast