Forgot your username?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #21
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Level
    Them calling it a conservative sitcom is them making sure some people won't even give it a chance. They are attempting to hurt the shows success for no reason other than they don't like that it exists.

There is no such thing as unbiased news anymore. Everything has an agenda even when all they are supposed to be doing is reporting the news. Can't just say "Last Man Standing is returning for Season 7" it has to be "Conservative sitcom Last Man Standing is returning for Season 7"

If Last Man Standing was just about the other side and not conservatives at all they wouldn't do that. How many hyper liberal shows are there on TV? Never do you hear them talked about in the same way. I've never heard a show presented as a "Liberal sitcom"

Obviously you'll have shows like Veep or House of Cards talked about for their politics but that's because their intention is to be 100% about politics. A normal show that isn't about politics but gets in to it from time to time isn't considered a political show unless you are anything other than far left. The same is happening with Roseanne. Sure, Roseanne has occasionally gone in to political stuff (far less than Last Man Standing though) but that isn't what the show is about. like Last Man Standing, it's still very much about the family but you'll have a hard time finding an article about Roseanne right now that doesn't in some way mention Roseanne Barr's politics even if it's irrelevant to the show itself.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Level
    Anyone remember Duck Dynasty? Apparently the A&E network were upset it got the fans it did. They aired the show hoping to get another Honey Boo Boo show; something for viewers to watch with contempt. But most viewers laughed with it, not at it. But it was hard to pull it off the air because it made money, though it scored no ideological points.

I wonder if it was the same as Last Man Standing. I bet ABC wanted to pull it a lot earlier than they did.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    Anyone remember Duck Dynasty? Apparently the A&E network were upset it got the fans it did. They aired the show hoping to get another Honey Boo Boo show; something for viewers to watch with contempt. But most viewers laughed with it, not at it. But it was hard to pull it off the air because it made money, though it scored no ideological points.

I wonder if it was the same as Last Man Standing. I bet ABC wanted to pull it a lot earlier than they did.
    LMS was on Friday night at 8 which was a terrible time slot but it was still ABC's #2 comedy overall and its number 1 show for Friday nights. They cancelled it and replaced it with the failing and revamped Once Upon A Time. So, it did seem strange that they would ditch one of their best rated shows. But the networks do strange things. For example, ABC also had a decent show with Kevin (Probably) Saves the World that was very family friendly but instead of putting it on at 8 pm, they put it on at 10. It came as no surprise that it was cancelled. Its almost like ABC never really wanted it to do well.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

I think we can probably thank Roseanne for it's return.
    Yup
    http://deadline.com/2018/05/last-man...ts-1202390309/
    Fox execs said the success of ABCís Roseanne revival emboldened them to revive Last Man Standing, but insisted they had been trying to return the Tim Allen starrer that ABC canceled two seasons back.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAScientist View Post
    If that were the case, why aren't they trying to revive Home Improvement? I'd much rather see that reboot.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie View Post
    If that were the case, why aren't they trying to revive Home Improvement? I'd much rather see that reboot.
    I imagine because Last Man Standing already had a big fanbase and is more recent so everyone still looks like themselves and are all still active in the business. It's only been gone for like a year so all of that audience is still there waiting for the show to be brought back and it's probably gained even more fans because of how it got canceled. I also think the material for LMS is way more relevant in 2018 than Home Improvement's. Roseanne isn't the same as Home Improvement because it focuses on real life issues.

I love Home Improvement and after LMS I wouldn't mind seeing a return but I also don't know how well it would do. They are all way older now. Like the 3 sons are all in their mid to late 30s now so all the weird shenanigans with the kids wouldn't even be around anymore and that was a big part of the show. The neighbor, Wilson, is dead IRL and I'm not really sure if America cares about tools n shit like they used to. It feels wildly outdated and while that doesn't bother me personally I think when the network was making that call they saw more of an upside to LMS than Home Improvement. Home Improvement would probably do well as like a reunion or something but I think after a few episodes the audience would drop significantly. Also, keep in mind Tim is old now so I doubt he'd be doing all that physical comedy which was also a big part of what Home Improvement was. Home Improvement would seriously need to be reworked and it wouldn't even feel like the same show but Last Man Standing can easily continue what it was already doing as if it never left.

Nostalgia shows are always risky. On one hand they have name recognition so it gets peoples attention but it also has a lot to live up to and if it doesn't people will leave quickly. Look at Girl Meets World for example. That got canceled.

Last Man Standing is basically a modern version of Home Improvement anyway with the super manly father played by Tim Allen with 3 whacky kids and a wife. Instead of having a TV show he has a internet show and instead of being called the "Tool Man" he is the "Outdoor Man"

7. Back To Top    #27
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    I imagine because Last Man Standing already had a big fanbase and is more recent so everyone still looks like themselves and are all still active in the business. It's only been gone for like a year so all of that audience is still there waiting for the show to be brought back and it's probably gained even more fans because of how it got canceled. I also think the material for LMS is way more relevant in 2018 than Home Improvement's. Roseanne isn't the same as Home Improvement because it focuses on real life issues.

I love Home Improvement and after LMS I wouldn't mind seeing a return but I also don't know how well it would do. They are all way older now. Like the 3 sons are all in their mid to late 30s now so all the weird shenanigans with the kids wouldn't even be around anymore and that was a big part of the show. The neighbor, Wilson, is dead IRL and I'm not really sure if America cares about tools n shit like they used to. It feels wildly outdated and while that doesn't bother me personally I think when the network was making that call they saw more of an upside to LMS than Home Improvement. Home Improvement would probably do well as like a reunion or something but I think after a few episodes the audience would drop significantly. Also, keep in mind Tim is old now so I doubt he'd be doing all that physical comedy which was also a big part of what Home Improvement was. Home Improvement would seriously need to be reworked and it wouldn't even feel like the same show but Last Man Standing can easily continue what it was already doing as if it never left.

Nostalgia shows are always risky. On one hand they have name recognition so it gets peoples attention but it also has a lot to live up to and if it doesn't people will leave quickly. Look at Girl Meets World for example. That got canceled.

Last Man Standing is basically a modern version of Home Improvement anyway with the super manly father played by Tim Allen with 3 whacky kids and a wife. Instead of having a TV show he has a internet show and instead of being called the "Tool Man" he is the "Outdoor Man"
    Makes sense, with the audience still being there. I didn't give much of a chance to Last Man Standing. I just really liked Home Improvement. I could see a reboot with one of the sons as the dad. Pretty risky though.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Level
    I loved Home Improvement. I think Al and Tim had such great chemistry. Wilson was a great neighbor too.
    Speaking of the old cast, Jonathan Taylor Thomas (Randy) and Patricia Richardson (Jill) were in a couple of episodes on LMS. PR was an annoying neighbor and JTT was Kristen's boss at one time.....I think.

I was going to say that the shows are similar but Jay already beat me to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Makes sense, with the audience still being there. I didn't give much of a chance to Last Man Standing. I just really liked Home Improvement. I could see a reboot with one of the sons as the dad. Pretty risky though.
    Yeah, its risky but while it does't always work (Girl Meets World), other times it does. Fuller House seems to be doing quite well on Netflix. Like Full House, its super cheesy and eye rolling but I guess there's some characters that people like to see all grown up and others...not so much. I don't know if Home Improvement could make it but as they're rebooting everything else, who knows. They 80's are making a comeback!

9. Back To Top    #29
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Level
    I've heard a lot of people think the new Full House sucks though. I wouldn't know because I never gave a fuck about the original.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Level
    I've heard a lot of people think the new Full House sucks though. I wouldn't know because I never gave a fuck about the original.
    The original was never very good but people tuned in for cute kids and John Stamos. They ended up with 8 seasons. I seriously thought that Fuller House would flop after its first season but I just googled and its been renewed for season 4.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast