Thread: Canon

1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

Canon

So what is the agreed canon for the TV universe?
    To my understanding it is:
    *The Walking Dead tv series
    *Fear the Walking Dead tv series
    *The webisodes
    *Any additional info from Kirkman and production. Like the funeral home guy.
    *Promotional material like the podcasts and news snippets released before Fear

Is the defunct social game or the terrible Dixon bros game? The social game greatly expanded Dave and Tony's group and their story.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1238 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't know that Kirkman's remarks can be considered canon considering he's told a few whoppers, which I think he likes doing. Gimple is who elaborated on the Funeral Home Guy, who I always thought was the first guy we saw die at Grady whose body was dumped down the shaft. Reason: it was stated on the show he was found in his car under a bridge having or having had a heart attack after running out of nitroglycerine. Gimple said on a Talking Dead special before season 5 that the funeral director had gone on a run and left the nitro behind. Not that any of that matters. Disposal of his body was rather ironic considering the care he was taking in fixing up walkers for burial.

I understand at least some of the games are canon to the TV universe, but I don't know which ones.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    I don't know that Kirkman's remarks can be considered canon considering he's told a few whoppers, which I think he likes doing. Gimple is who elaborated on the Funeral Home Guy, who I always thought was the first guy we saw die at Grady whose body was dumped down the shaft. Reason: it was stated on the show he was found in his car under a bridge having or having had a heart attack after running out of nitroglycerine. Gimple said on a Talking Dead special before season 5 that the funeral director had gone on a run and left the nitro behind. Not that any of that matters. Disposal of his body was rather ironic considering the care he was taking in fixing up walkers for burial.

I understand at least some of the games are canon to the TV universe, but I don't know which ones.
    WHAT?!? Where's the mind blown emoji?! Did you share this before? I literally like why didnt u tell me this in season 5?!? Then, I remember.... I didnt get here until season 6!!! Whew!
    Now, since I started talking I should try to address the actual question: what is canon?
    What is canon can be what happen in comics is cannon as it is the source material. What is canon is what showrunners and producers expressly share as the intent or background of a character or a storyline as you state. The video games have never, in my opinion, exisited in thebsame universe. The telltale series (with the exception of the michonne game....exception bc I didnnt play it) has been outstanding!!! It is not directly linked to tv or graphic novel but it could be! In fact, I would love to see these characters become the next installment in the tv franchase.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1238 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by beethedead View Post
    WHAT?!? Where's the mind blown emoji?! Did you share this before? I literally like why didnt u tell me this in season 5?!? Then, I remember.... I didnt get here until season 6!!! Whew!
    Now, since I started talking I should try to address the actual question: what is canon?
    What is canon can be what happen in comics is cannon as it is the source material. What is canon is what showrunners and producers expressly share as the intent or background of a character or a storyline as you state. The video games have never, in my opinion, exisited in thebsame universe. The telltale series (with the exception of the michonne game....exception bc I didnnt play it) has been outstanding!!! It is not directly linked to tv or graphic novel but it could be! In fact, I would love to see these characters become the next installment in the tv franchase.
    I had started a funeral home thread before season 5 that had all kinds of theories about the funeral home and Beth's fate. The Red, Hot & Blue July 4 weekend marathon of 2014 ended with a special Talking Dead episode featuring Gimps who opened by discussing the funeral home, which was pretty exciting to me since several of us had been discussing it here. During that segment, Gimple said that the funeral home guy was just a guy with a heart condition who left his nitro pills behind as he went on a run. We had speculated in that thread that the Caddy that took off with Beth was his, as it looked like a funeral car. During Slabtown, Beth and Edwards are bedside of a man who Dawn orders removed from life support. It's mentioned somewhere in that scene that the guy was just someone found in his car who'd had a heart attack and had forgotten his nitro pills. That's when 2+2 came together for me, although I don't think there was any discussion of that here since the episode ended with the spoiler announcement that Beth's death had been confirmed.

As for games being canon to the show, there was a lot of discussion about the casting of a character for the show who had been in one of the games. The show was casting someone of a different race, and some people were quite unhappy that the show was going against canon established in one of the games. I wish I could remember what character it was. It was associated with the backstory of how Daryl got his red bandanna and how he had gone to get meds for some character. If I think of more, I'll update this post.

I don't play the games and don't care, but a lot of people did.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    397 Post(s)
    Level
    I had started a funeral home thread before season 5 that had all kinds of theories about the funeral home and Beth's fate. The Red, Hot & Blue July 4 weekend marathon of 2014 ended with a special Talking Dead episode featuring Gimps who opened by discussing the funeral home, which was pretty exciting to me since several of us had been discussing it here. During that segment, Gimple said that the funeral home guy was just a guy with a heart condition who left his nitro pills behind as he went on a run. We had speculated in that thread that the Caddy that took off with Beth was his, as it looked like a funeral car. During Slabtown, Beth and Edwards are bedside of a man who Dawn orders removed from life support. It's mentioned somewhere in that scene that the guy was just someone found in his car who'd had a heart attack and had forgotten his nitro pills. That's when 2+2 came together for me, although I don't think there was any discussion of that here since the episode ended with the spoiler announcement that Beth's death had been confirmed.

As for games being canon to the show, there was a lot of discussion about the casting of a character for the show who had been in one of the games. The show was casting someone of a different race, and some people were quite unhappy that the show was going against canon established in one of the games. I wish I could remember what character it was. It was associated with the backstory of how Daryl got his red bandanna and how he had gone to get meds for some character. If I think of more, I'll update this post.

I remember that discussion about Daryl going to a hospital to find meds as part of the game they made for TWD. I however do not remember talk of the red bandanna. I watched the gameplay on YouTube and remembered Daryl having to go to a hospital to find medicine for someone but could not remember who it was so I looked it up online and here is what I found.

Shortly after arriving at a town called Fontana to look for his brother Merle Dixon, Daryl hears gunshots from a building. When Daryl enters a diner, two survivors are being surrounded by walkers, which Daryl kills before talking to them. A woman called Scout and her partner Noah who was injured by an unknown sniper asks Daryl to check the movie theater for another survivor named Mia in exchange for one of their bags of supplies. After finding Mia alive, Daryl returns to the diner for the bag only to realize that Scout and Noah ran off to Memorial Hospital with the bags, yet gives him keys to another car. When Daryl arrives at the police station, the unknown shooter was revealed to be Merle, who was trying to protect himself from U.S. soldiers attempting to bring him to prison. Merle joins the group and demands to go to a bar called Jake's as their next destination.[5]When Daryl questions Merle's reason to go to Jake's, Merle tells him he kept something of Daryl's at the bar. After arriving at the bar, Merle instructs Daryl to stay by the car but Daryl goes and looks for his brother anyway. It is revealed that Merle really went back to get revenge on the gang that sold him out and took Daryl's crossbow. Merle attacks some of them in the bar, until the rest of the gang comes back and knocks Daryl out, taking all of his equipment and supplies. However, an undead gang member has Daryl's crossbow. Daryl takes the crossbow and continues to look for Merle, the gang, and his missing equipment. Afterwards, Daryl finds out that Merle had gone missing while the entire gang was killed and eaten by walkers.
    Before leaving, Daryl runs into Scout who's real name is Anna Turner and contacts her father John, a sheriff, and plans on meeting at the evacuation point at Palmetto Estates. After arriving at Danvers research lab for the serum (a supposed cure), Daryl fights his way through the lab and finds a woman named Sheila Schneider, who was a member of the Archer Creek Dam group. Sheila tells Daryl that the serum is just a fairy tale, and there is no cure. The lab is locked down by the automatic security system and Daryl tells Anna to flip the alarm switch, which actually ends up accidentally triggering the alarm. After escaping the lab, Daryl and Anna go to Sherwood to gather information about the evacuation. Daryl later says goodbye to Anna when she and her father find each other and drive away.[5]

While scavenging the area, Daryl finds two elderly survivors, Terry Harrison and his wife, who is bedridden and in bad condition. Harrison is taking care of his wife, though he is concerned for his daughters, Amy and Andrea. He tells Daryl to find Aiden, who was in charge of signaling an evacuation helicopter. He also asks Daryl to get antibiotics from the pharmacy to ease his wife's suffering. Daryl finds Aiden's wife, Jane, who tells Daryl to look for her husband in the pharmacy. Daryl finds Aiden who has apparently twisted his ankle, stuck on the roof of the pharmacy. Aiden tells Daryl that, to signal the evac chopper, he must retrieve his bag from a garage, as the bag has flares that can be used to signal the helicopter. Daryl retrieves and brings it to Aiden, who starts the evacuation. Daryl then returns to the neighborhood where Terry, his wife, and Jane are located. When he arrives, Aiden tells Daryl the choppers have arrived but instead they only grab Aiden and takeoff despite his pleas to wait for the others. Daryl is forced to choose between them as both of their houses are under attack by walkers. The survivor that Daryl chooses to save then tells him that the last evacuation site is Atlanta, at the Firesign Stadium.[5]

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1238 Post(s)
    Level
    @LivingDeadGurl thank you. It's coming back to me, and I think it is the casting of Noah as black that drew the controversy, but I could be wrong. I believe it was said in threads that Anna gave Daryl the red bandanna.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level

DAMN!!! sorry it took me DAYS to get back here!
    I was literally talking to your post like .....