1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    A Bargain at Twice the Price! Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1222 Post(s)
    Level

Castle Rock

Has anybody watched the first season? Season finale is this Wednesday, September 12.

This is an amazing show set in a town which was the setting of many of Stephen King's novels. It's a cursed town that has endured many horrible tragedies over the decades.

The show is fabulous! Sissy Spacek plays the Alzheimer's suffering adoptive mother of Henry Matthew Dever, a black attorney in Texas who handles (and mostly loses) capital punishment appeals. The show opens with his appeal on behalf of the oldest person on death row in Texas and Henry's return to Castle Rock to see "someone" at Shawshank Prison who has requested his services. Everything gets deliciously weird.

Sissy Spacek delivers phenomenal performances in all her scenes, but there is an episode devoted almost exclusively to her which has awards written all over it. One of her best performances of all time, and that's saying a lot since she's had many of them during her illustrious career.

It's on Hulu and is a good one to binge with the finale rapidly approaching. It's been renewed for Season 2.

I'll give you another little hint. Episode 9 is the most jaw dropping I've ever seen on television, with a twist that rivals that of The Sixth Sense. I sat in my chair with my mouth open unable to do anything other than just stare at the closing credits and the little post-story synopsis done after each episode. Even with what episode 9 revealed, there's so much more story to be told.

This isn't based on a Stephen King book, but loyal readers will see many Easter eggs/callbacks to situations occurring in many of his books, including Shawshank prison, which is the largest employer in Castle Rock.

I highly recommend this one.

Edited to correct the reason he returns to Castle Rock from Texas.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Level
    Yup watching it. Well, half watching because the new World of Warcraft expansion came out so I've seen it all but the final episode but I'm sure I missed a few things.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    A Bargain at Twice the Price! Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1222 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Yup watching it. Well, half watching because the new World of Warcraft expansion came out so I've seen it all but the final episode but I'm sure I missed a few things.
    You gotta pay attention! This show, like the other good ones out there, is one you can't watch with one eyeball and one ear tuned in, unlike the TWDverse where so much means nothing.

Were you as blown away as I was with last week's episode?

I intentionally waited until near the end of the season to binge, as I don't like the weekly TV schtick. It's always better that way, to me.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Level
    Yeah. It was crazy.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Level
    Started watching today, got 3 episodes in so far. Soooooo good.