Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    576 Post(s)
    Level

Why Didn't They Just Send Dwight to FTWD?

It doesn't seem like he's returning to the main show so it got me thinking of how much better Dwight would have been for Fear than Morgan.

1. Dwight is a big enough character to make an impact for a crossover but he's also not the type of character that would steal the spotlight like Morgan does. He's big enough but not too big.
    2. He had a reason to leave TWD. He was exiled (and he's also looking for Sherry) so it fits with the story. He never had a choice to stay. There is literally nothing left for him on TWD.
    3. There is still a lot you can do with his character since it's still relatively new and his story was so focused around the drama with Negan that we haven't actually dug in to him yet. Like, we don't know much about the guy outside of what Negan did to him and the revenge he wanted on Negan. It's all been about Negan. Who is Dwight without Negan? That would be interesting to explore and you could do it on Fear better because there is less characters fighting over screen time.
    4. His character would benefit from a new setting because it gives him a chance to start over without people knowing about his past. He would have had a hard time fitting in the settlements after everything that has happened but in a new location nobody knows who he is so he has a chance to redeem himself.
    5. Most importantly there is no Daryl on Fear.

It's not a new thing to say but Morgan joining Fear was a mistake. Everyone knows this. But it's not only how bad Morgan was for the show because of how much it destroyed the rest of the show by him being there but it was also a mistake because Morgan's storyline has been on repeat for years. He's about as developed as he's going to get. It's weird to introduce a character on Fear that already feels cumplete. I mean what can you really even do with Morgan at this point? But with Dwight there is still a lot to do with him.

I dunno, just something I was randomly thinking.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Occasional Proud Apologist Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1214 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree Dwight would have been an excellent crossover choice, and it would have been interesting to see him dealing with the Vultures, alongside Madison, and experiencing life with the shoe on the other foot, so to speak, although the Vultures couldn't hold a candle to the Saviors. With that said, his crossing over would have been the nail in Sherry's coffin which is probably pretty much sealed anyway, but who knows?

I didn't think the Morgan crossover was a mistake, but I do think replacing Madison with him was. He didn't need to be the leader of the group to have an interesting role in it. I suspect leading man was the carrot dangled in front of Lennie James to entice him over, though, in addition to becoming the front man/spokesman for the show instead of the true star, which was Kim Dickens.

I don't think Dwight is done on TWD. You're right in that at the moment he's a man without a country on that show. Nobody trusts him, and Daryl has told him he will kill him if he ever sees him again. He betrayed the Saviors, but on the other hand not all of the Saviors were as invested in Negan as were his lieutenants and those who benefited most by occupying Negan's leadership class. If the Negan loyalists were eliminated, I think the remaining Saviors, the worker bees, might welcome Dwight back as a hero and leader since he was publicly subjected to what most of them feared. Time will cool Daryl's animosity toward Dwight, especially since Dwight taking over the Sanctuary would relieve him, Carol, and anybody else in Alexandria, Kingdom, and Hilltop of that burden.

Still, I would like Dwight not to have to compete with the cast of thousands for the screentime he has earned and you and I would like to see.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Level
    The bigger question is why didn’t they just keep Dwight on TWD? He was one of the most interesting characters the last few seasons and IMO they could’ve easily found a way to bring him back after being exiled. I wouldn’t mind seeing him on FTWD, but would rather not have any more characters move over from TWD any take the spotlight away from FTWD’s characters like Morgan did. I’m hoping that he reappears on TWD after the next time jump. Maybe he’ll be part of the next spinoff?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Level
    I wish Dwight would have been sent somewhere other than into the ether. I see him reappearing on TWD, but after the long time jump it may come across as another contrivance. Even though I don't watch FTWD, he would have made a good addition to that group, and it could have been worked so that both Morgan and Dwight joined them.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    576 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Diseman81 View Post
    The bigger question is why didn’t they just keep Dwight on TWD? He was one of the most interesting characters the last few seasons and IMO they could’ve easily found a way to bring him back after being exiled. I wouldn’t mind seeing him on FTWD, but would rather not have any more characters move over from TWD any take the spotlight away from FTWD’s characters like Morgan did. I’m hoping that he reappears on TWD after the next time jump. Maybe he’ll be part of the next spinoff?
    Thread isn't really about sending Dwight to Fear now. It's more about why they didn't send him to fear instead of Morgan. They can't do it now. It's too late. It's already silly that Morgan traveled all that way. Dwight traveling all that way and running in to Morgan and the others would just be too much. But had Morgan never crossed over I think Dwight would have been the perfect choice if they were going to do a time jump that is because I'm still convinced the only reason the show even had a time jump is so it could cater to Morgan. They blew everything up just so Morgan could appear on the show. They killed characters, they wrote characters off, they abandoned storylines that were going on and they did a massive unnecessary time jump that wasn't relevant to anything at all for Morgan. If they never did the time jump then I still think having Abe & Eugene would have been the best crossover especially since they'd have to leave at some point but Dwight would be the best permanent full time character choice to go on the show.

As for why they didn't keep him in TWD I think the reason is obvious. It's Daryl. Daryl even stole Dwight's comic storyline. Dwight is the one that leads The Saviors after the war.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Occasional Proud Apologist Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1214 Post(s)
    Level
    @Jay, but wouldn't Fear have had to do the same time jump to accommodate Dwight?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    576 Post(s)
    Level
    Yes. That's why I said Abe and Eugene would have been the best choices but if they were dead set on having a time jump Dwight would have been the better choice between him and Morgan. Doesn't mean I want a time jump. Hell, I'd rather Dwight stay on TWD and I'd even rather there never be a Morgan crossover. The best thing about Abe and Eugene being on Fear is you know they wouldn't be permanent additions.

But if everything was always gonna happen the way it was with a time jump and everything Dwight would have been the better addition and I don't see him stealing the spotlight like Morgan did. He'd just be a great new addition to the cast and Austin Amelio isn't a big enough actor to where they'd have to lure him in by making him the lead.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Level
    SG has an obsession with Morgan. He used Carol to prop him up to the detriment of her character, so I'm not surprised he made sacrifices of characters fans liked on Fear. I agree that Dwight would have been a better choice to go Morgan should have been killed off.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Level
    Perhaps he'll appear in Season 5, along with Sherry.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    At this point, since they already fucked the shows, they might as well send Negan away (kill him or whatever), and have Dwight be Duryl's Negan. The whisperer stuff won't trail further off the comics since they seem to just substitute characters anyways.

Dwight would have been great for the new characters as well. Would give Al something to actually dig for. Plus he probably wouldn't have spent half the season pretending to want to go back, and they could've (hell, why not, since time jump) possible Madison love interest.

Fuck, he could have even been interesting dealing with time jump Proctor John if they didn't ignore all that damn dam incident. Let Nick die there instead of this annoying Charlie B.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast