Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #21
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton69 View Post
    7500 people shitting along the road, migrant camps with no sanitation, yeah it's not like that would be a breeding ground for some really nasty viruses
    Sounds like a few places in California.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAScientist View Post
    I think the number is up around 7,500 now.
    I'm wondering who's in charge of feeding these people. I'm guessing the trucks driving alongside them have food/water/supplies?
    Who is paying for that? and who is providing the buses in the pictures @Beatrice posted? At a minimum, these people are being exploited by someone/thing and it's not the US.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton69 View Post
    Maybe some people's live won't continue when you let scumbags in anytime they want or I guess nobody's ever been murdered by a illegal mmmm I wonder
    "...They show that US saw a 118% increase in its immigrant population (documented and undocumented) from 1980 through 2016.

Yet during this same period, the rate of violent crime — homicides, rapes, robberies, and assaults, according to the FBI — fell by 36% to about 386 incidents per 100,000 residents.

A more recent peer-reviewed study, published in March 2017 by The Sociological Quarterly, compared all forms of immigration and violence in rural versus urban communities from 1990 through 2010. The number of foreign-born residents — accounting for many other factors — appeared to reduce violent crime rates in rural areas, though not at statistically significant levels. But in cities, immigration was significantly associated with reduced rates of violent crimes."

https://www.businessinsider.com/undo...cs-data-2018-8

I agree with Obama too. Luckily, these migrants are neither undetected nor unchecked. And they don't get to circumvent people in line for the sake of it either. The threat to their life in their home country must be legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    Seeking asylum is legal, but there's a legal process in place for doing so. What they're doing is not part of that process.
    Why isn't it? This is the way the process has gone for decades. Here's an example from just this past May.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1I52HY

4. Back To Top    #24
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1242 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TAWX14 View Post

Why isn't it? This is the way the process has gone for decades. Here's an example from just this past May.

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/r...-asylum/asylum

Every year people come to the United States seeking protection because they have suffered persecution or fear that they will suffer persecution due to:

Race
    Religion
    Nationality
    Membership in a particular social group
    Political opinion

Form 589-I, linked within the link I posted above, states in Part II.D.:

If it is more likely than not that you will be tortured in a
    country but you are ineligible for withholding of removal,
    your removal will be deferred under 8 CFR sections 208.17(a)
    and 1208.17(a). Deferral of removal does not confer any
    lawful or permanent immigration status in the United States
    and does not necessarily result in release from detention.
    Deferral of removal is effective only until it is terminated.
    Deferral of removal is subject to review and termination if it is
    determined that it is no longer more likely than not that you
    would be tortured in the country to which your removal is
    deferred or if you request that your deferral be terminated.

The thousands enroute through Mexico haven't cited fear of torture or that they're under threat of it for any of the reasons described in the list I posted under the first citation.

Yes, they can enter the country to request asylum, but they've announced reasons other than fear of torture for their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Status
    Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Level
    Second migrant caravan gathering in Guatemala, report says

A second migrant caravan is forming at the Honduran border and is expected to follow the larger caravan of more than 7,000 from Central America towards the U.S.-Mexico border, The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

Guatemalan authorities on Sunday estimated the new group -- which gathered in a Guatemalan city near the border of Honduras -- to be at 1,000. But the group appears to be growing. The Journal, citing estimates from church-run charities and activists, reported that the group is now made up of about 2,500.

The new caravan reportedly plans to follow in the footsteps of the larger group, who passed through the southern Mexico border over the weekend.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/second...la-report-says

6. Back To Top    #26
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TAWX14 View Post
    "...They show that US saw a 118% increase in its immigrant population (documented and undocumented) from 1980 through 2016.

Yet during this same period, the rate of violent crime — homicides, rapes, robberies, and assaults, according to the FBI — fell by 36% to about 386 incidents per 100,000 residents.

A more recent peer-reviewed study, published in March 2017 by The Sociological Quarterly, compared all forms of immigration and violence in rural versus urban communities from 1990 through 2010. The number of foreign-born residents — accounting for many other factors — appeared to reduce violent crime rates in rural areas, though not at statistically significant levels. But in cities, immigration was significantly associated with reduced rates of violent crimes."

https://www.businessinsider.com/undo...cs-data-2018-8

I agree with Obama too. Luckily, these migrants are neither undetected nor unchecked. And they don't get to circumvent people in line for the sake of it either. The threat to their life in their home country must be legitimate.

Well hey I really hope someone you care about or you yourself turns out to be one of those 386 then we'll talk

7. Back To Top    #27
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassenach View Post
    Second migrant caravan gathering in Guatemala, report says

A second migrant caravan is forming at the Honduran border and is expected to follow the larger caravan of more than 7,000 from Central America towards the U.S.-Mexico border, The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

Guatemalan authorities on Sunday estimated the new group -- which gathered in a Guatemalan city near the border of Honduras -- to be at 1,000. But the group appears to be growing. The Journal, citing estimates from church-run charities and activists, reported that the group is now made up of about 2,500.

The new caravan reportedly plans to follow in the footsteps of the larger group, who passed through the southern Mexico border over the weekend.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/second...la-report-says
    I hear Canada is nice.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    I guess it depends what happens when (if) they get to the US border - if they force or try to force their way across & then disappear, they're illegal immigrants. If they cross in the regular fashion through normal channels & claim asylum, they're not illegal.

I hear Canada is nice.
    Canada seems more compassionate than the US these days - they may well be happier there if they can stand the cold weather.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Level
    I bet our prime minister will roll out the welcome mat shortly, all according to plan.

This is weaponized migration.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Level
    Are people seriously suggesting that Democrats are funding this caravan? I think that the caravan is a problem for the Democrats because it enables Trump to play on the xenophobic fears that seem to afflict a significant part of the American population. Maybe it’s Republicans who are engineering all of this.

Of course if Trump or some National Guardsman loses his head and people are killed, it will not look so good.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast