Forgot your username?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
  1. Back To Top    #71
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Level
    It's funny that Trump was calling for our soldiers to shoot rock throwers in the caravan but so many of our veterans and military personnel realize how fucking stupid that is and when he realized how big of an ass he was he decided to walk back on that statement and say they would be arrested. The Nigerian military loved his original statement and had no qualms using it to justify shooting the protesters in their country. Which if people in the migrant caravan end up throwing rocks at our troops or other citizens then they should be arrested. I'm glad the migrants are coming here to exercise their right to apply for asylum. Yes they may not be american citizens but they still have a right to seek asylum lawfully according to both federal and international law and I do recognize there will be a portion that will attempt to enter illegally. Our immigration system is definitely in desperate need of reform whether it be to restrict immigration or to open it, there needs to be reform because right now the system is a shitshow and it's not getting any better and it's just causing deep rifts between people. I suspect that everyone on this board are well intentioned human beings and some of you have had enough of one side or the other, when tensions boil people get passionate about what they believe is the better option. I wish we, as a country, could come together and have some real critical intellectual discussions on the issue of immigration and other poignant issues of the day while focusing solely on facts and history and avoiding personal attacks on anyone, including those of the migrant caravan, because I would guess many of them are truly seeking a better life and are trying to escape from some very horrible, horrible situations, quite a few of which are direct/indirect results of the United States actions. There is more then enough blame to be put on the migrants, the US, the countries they're fleeing from, etc but doing that isn't solving anything. Immigration especially is a complex issue, one fraught with moral dilemmas, shaky history, and an uncertain future. I just hope the country can come together eventually and stop destroying itself from within, I wish the best for everyone and hope everyone here is having a good day.

2. Back To Top    #72
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Level
    Your post makes valid points but the underlying fact is when you have thousands rushing the border it's a incursion plain and simple. Shooting rock throwers ; sure it's a idiotic statement unless of course you've ever been hit in the face with a rock, let you in on a secret it fuckin hurts.i got a wonderful idea for the folks in their gated communities and the people who quite frankly just have it their hearts- volunteer to house ,clothe,and feed these people in your homes and take responsibility for their actions be it legal or otherwise. Meaning if they break the law , the volunteers pay the price as well. Then I say let em in but only if the proponents put their money , property , and yes even their lives where their mouths are. Seems to me Debra messing or mark ruffalo have the funds and space for these folks , that is not just using them for their well manicured lawns

3. Back To Top    #73
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    As for asylum, it has to be applied for and considered on a case-by-case basis and usually takes awhile.
    I would guess that in some cases, extreme emergency can take precedence over time though.
    For example, the case of Asia Bibi who has been sitting on death row in Pakistan since 2009 for "blasphemy". She was acquitted earlier this week. Her lawyer has fled the country. Her husband is pleading for asylum(and several countries have offered), and mobs are calling for the supreme court members who acquitted her to be hanged. The Pakistan govt. is trying to bar her from leaving.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-46085577

4. Back To Top    #74
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by zNapstablook View Post
    It's funny that Trump was calling for our soldiers to shoot rock throwers in the caravan but so many of our veterans and military personnel realize how fucking stupid that is and when he realized how big of an ass he was he decided to walk back on that statement and say they would be arrested. The Nigerian military loved his original statement and had no qualms using it to justify shooting the protesters in their country. Which if people in the migrant caravan end up throwing rocks at our troops or other citizens then they should be arrested. I'm glad the migrants are coming here to exercise their right to apply for asylum. Yes they may not be american citizens but they still have a right to seek asylum lawfully according to both federal and international law and I do recognize there will be a portion that will attempt to enter illegally. Our immigration system is definitely in desperate need of reform whether it be to restrict immigration or to open it, there needs to be reform because right now the system is a shitshow and it's not getting any better and it's just causing deep rifts between people. I suspect that everyone on this board are well intentioned human beings and some of you have had enough of one side or the other, when tensions boil people get passionate about what they believe is the better option. I wish we, as a country, could come together and have some real critical intellectual discussions on the issue of immigration and other poignant issues of the day while focusing solely on facts and history and avoiding personal attacks on anyone, including those of the migrant caravan, because I would guess many of them are truly seeking a better life and are trying to escape from some very horrible, horrible situations, quite a few of which are direct/indirect results of the United States actions. There is more then enough blame to be put on the migrants, the US, the countries they're fleeing from, etc but doing that isn't solving anything. Immigration especially is a complex issue, one fraught with moral dilemmas, shaky history, and an uncertain future. I just hope the country can come together eventually and stop destroying itself from within, I wish the best for everyone and hope everyone here is having a good day.
    I certainly don't want to paint every person in the caravan as a criminal, gang member or terrorist, but are they all asylum seekers? Leaving your home land for better economic chances is not equivalent to asylum. Asylum is considered if a person(s) has been persecuted because of race, religion, nationality, membership is a particular social group or political opinion. Screening legitimate claims will be done, but how do we stop them from disappearing into the country while they await judgement?
    Consider humanitarian parole, but even then, how do we keep track of the person(s) permitted into the country?

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/h...-united-states

Rushing the border of a country and demanding entry is absolutely not the right way to enter. I don't hear any reasons other than these people need better economic conditions to live under. Is granting entry into the US supposed to be some form of reparation for US transgressions? Who gets to decide that and what did we do?

5. Back To Top    #75
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAScientist View Post
    I would guess that in some cases, extreme emergency can take precedence over time though.
    For example, the case of Asia Bibi who has been sitting on death row in Pakistan since 2009 for "blasphemy". She was acquitted earlier this week. Her lawyer has fled the country. Her husband is pleading for asylum(and several countries have offered), and mobs are calling for the supreme court members who acquitted her to be hanged. The Pakistan govt. is trying to bar her from leaving.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-46085577
    It would be great for her to be released as well as Dr. Shakil Afridi, the doctor who helped locate Bin Laden. He's still in jail in Pakistan.

6. Back To Top    #76
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Level
    "The 5,800 troops who were rushed to the southwest border amid President Donald Trumpís pre-election warnings about a refugee caravan will start coming home as early as this week ó just as some of those migrants are beginning to arrive."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...e-home-1005510

Now that the election stunt failed, it seems everything is returning to normal. Troops going home, asylum seekers being processed like they've always been. I have a sneaky suspicion another caravan of death with terrorists and criminals will be descending on our border, promising widespread death and despair, somewhere around October 2020 though.

7. Back To Top    #77
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Level
    Looks like some Mexican residents aren't exactly thrilled with the "avalanche" of migrants either.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/p...-leave-n937761
    A group opposed to the “chaos” of the so-called migrant caravans protested outside the largest makeshift shelter as Mexican police in riot gear formed a perimeter. The demonstrators sang the Mexican national anthem and waved flags as they urged the migrants to go home.

The protesters said they had no problem with legal immigration, but they were strongly opposed to what they called an "illegal invasion."
    On Friday, Tijuana Mayor Juan Manuel Gastelum called the influx of migrants an “avalanche” that could wind up staying in the city for at least six months.

8. Back To Top    #78
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAScientist View Post
    Looks like some Mexican residents aren't exactly thrilled with the "avalanche" of migrants either.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/p...-leave-n937761
    That's because they're white supremacists.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678