Forgot your username?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    606 Post(s)
    Level

Eugene's Fate *possible Comic Spoilers*

I know I've already mentioned this in a few threads but there should be a thread for this already.

It really seems like they are setting up Eugene's death and I don't like it at all.

#1 Gabriel gets Eugene's Rosita storyline.
    #2 Gabriel seems to be getting the radio storyline.
    #3 The Sanctuary is no more. So the bullet maker is out of a job.
    #4 He's been hanging around the water tower. Which is where another character dies in the comics and we know this show loves foreshadowing.
    #5 His character seems to have reached max level as far as being able to fight now and doing more selfless acts like volunteering to sacrifice himself so Rosita can get away.
    #6 Letting Rosita know about his feelings towards her. Even if he never actually got to say it she knows what he was going to say which seems so Walking Dead. Set a character up in a romance or at least show feelings towards someone so that when they die they go out as a plot device for another character.
    #7 He's accepted by everyone now. Including that moment with Rick before Rick left.
    #8 He's been getting a lot of screen time. To be fair, so have Gabriel and Rosita and I'm sure at least one of them will be dying this season but this thread is about Eugene and he has more going against him than those 2 as I've said above.
    #9 They've introduced a new funny guy character named Luke. We all know what happens to Luke in the comic but that doesn't mean it'll happen the same in the show and he's kind of a big actor to just have around for a few episodes. It feels like maybe he's being replaced so they have another comic relief.
    #10 This part is all speculation but Josh is now the 5th longest lasting actor on the show and with the ratings going down I don't know if AMC wants to keep paying all these actors that aren't super popular. He's definitely got his fanbase but it's not the size of Daryl, Negan, Carol or Michonne's and unlike them his character isn't invincible. I fear the next time they need a big death he's basically next in line or he's among the few still expendable main characters left. Him, Rosita, Tara, Gabriel and Aaron.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Waiting for Aaron to get more screentime.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Level
    Yeah he's dead

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1247 Post(s)
    Level
    I hope not. Did Negan move the machinery for the bullet factory to the Sanctuary? Eugene and Abe ran across it in season 6, and Eugene told Negan about it in season 8; but I thought Eugene and his crew went to the machine shop instead of the machine shop having been moved to the Sanctuary.

Bullets are still around, which I'd question after this many years unless they were still being made.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    I hope not. Did Negan move the machinery for the bullet factory to the Sanctuary? Eugene and Abe ran across it in season 6, and Eugene told Negan about it in season 8; but I thought Eugene and his crew went to the machine shop instead of the machine shop having been moved to the Sanctuary.

Bullets are still around, which I'd question after this many years unless they were still being made.
    They didn't move it. Negan set up the machine shop as another outpost with Eugene in charge and a group of saviors to work for him, making bullets. In the premiere, Ezekiel included Alexandria making bullets in his list of community trades so they were likely still using the machine shop. However, after the 6 year time jump, Eugene would not be the only one who knows how to make bullets. He's taught/trained others and he may not even need to be there in a supervisory capacity at this point. He certainly wasn't doing that in 9x06 - he was on that run/hunting trip at the beginning and then went with Rosita to set up the amplifier for the radio.

In addition, they set Rosita up as a kind of jack of all trades in season 7 with her telling Sasha how she picked up various skills from guys she had dated. Even before that with her telling Glenn how Eugene had taught her things when they were first introduced in season 4. And Eugene is still there at this point so they've had 7 1/2 years for him to teach Rosita more. Eugene has unrequited feelings for Rosita so teaching her would be a way for him to spend time with her.

Plus, Gabriel is the only one who knows about Anne/Jadis being in communication with another community - which I suspect might be part of why he's wanting to attempt to develop extended radio communication. Not necessarily for Anne/Jadis - she did try to kill him after all - but because she told him about it. While that community deals in human trafficking and sounds more like a potential enemy, it is also a reminder that there could be other communities out there. Other survivors who could be potential allies. As is Magna's group showing up at this time. Unless Gabriel tells someone else about all of that, I think they may choose to keep him around for that mystery - though it's also possible they could set up him leaving and being part of the movies as well. Either way, it seems unlikely they would kill him off as long as he's the only one who knows about the helicopter group.

So there is some cause for concern here. And then there is the braid - a distinctive, recognizable look. I've wondered if they might switch Eugene and Rosita for the pike deaths because of these things.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    Yup, as soon as i saw and heard, Luke I questioned how much longer Josh McDermott would be around. This new this music teacher seems like a probable substitute for the former science teacher. This Luke guy could also be the replacement for Tara. He is the same kind of misfit. Frankly, I'd be fine with all three having their heads on posts. The value add of Eugene lies in his science/technology skills. What can a music teacher add along those lines? Would rather see Tara (purposeless) and Luke (also purposeless, stand in for an every man) exit bc Eugene does have more story line coming up.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    I hope not, I enjoy his character, too soon.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm actually really hoping NO ONE gets the water tower death as it was just so... bad. Underwhelming for so many wonderful characters and their story arcs to come to a close. I mean, I know TWD doesn't exactly have a great track record as far as this is concerned, but eh, I just don't think that death would come across the same way on tv as it did in the comics.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Squirrel Hunter JackietheStripper's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Level
    If Eugene dies before Tara I'm gonna freak out.