Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Level

EW: The Walking Dead Showrunner Says Flashbacks Are Coming

The Walking Dead showrunner says flashbacks are coming

Dalton Ross January 23, 2019 at 11:15 AM EST

As fans look forward to the introduction of new big bad Alpha when The Walking Dead returns on Feb. 10, the show will also be looking to the past a few times throughout the second half of season 9 via flashbacks. Traditionally ó with a few notable exceptions ó the show does not use a lot of flashbacks to fill in the gaps of the story, but with the recent six-year time jump there are certainly a lot of gaps, and showrunner Angela Kang tells EW that they will use some flashbacks to help explain what happened to the characters and communities during that time.

Kang also talked about Neganís big escape, discussed how the Hilltop will handle the loss of Jesus, and and confirmed that we will indeed see the Harvest Festival in season 9. Read on!

Read the full article here

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    628 Post(s)
    Level
    Usually I’d be excited for a potential season 1-5 flashback but after Rick’s “death” I’ll never fall for it again. They won’t get a single view from me ever again. That “death” was unforgivable. I assume they mean recent flashbacks though

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
    Usually I’d be excited for a potential season 1-5 flashback but after Rick’s “death” I’ll never fall for it again. They won’t get a single view from me ever again. That “death” was unforgivable. I assume they mean recent flashbacks though
    The flashbacks are supposed to reveal stuff that happened during the 6 year time jump between 9x05 and 9x06.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    628 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
    The flashbacks are supposed to reveal stuff that happened during the 6 year time jump between 9x05 and 9x06.
    Ah, ok. Thank you for clearing that up

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Level
    When the show is missing most of the important characters, it's kinda hard for these flashbacks to matter since it won't include anything from the early days. The best we were gonna get was Rick's last episode which wasn't even a flashback, more of a hallucination/dream sequence and my assumption is a lot of the previous actors probably want nothing to do with the show outside of Cudlitz maybe or someone that really isn't important to the story but desperately needs a job like IronE. A lot of the characters that mattered got burned by bad decisions or have just moved on to bigger things. The only characters left that were there for the early days are Carol and Daryl and they just happen to be the most loner characters the show had that weren't all that close to anyone from the past. Nobody is gonna care about a flashback with Ed for example. People would care about a flashback with Merle but that's about it and that won't happen because Daryl doesn't look anything like he looked back then. All good flashback potential left the show with Rick, Coral and Maggie.

Obviously this isn't what these flashbacks are though. I know she's talking about the time in between the time jump. But the time when people would have cared about flashbacks is over. Unless it was going to include Maggie (or even Rick) but it won't. Instead we get Jesus most likely and even though some people like his character he only died 1 episode ago.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Level
    If Maggie isn’t included in these flashbacks then they’re mostly pointless IMO. I guess they’ll most likely be about whatever happened between Alexandria and the Hilltop and what the X’s on Michonne and Daryl are all about.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    706 Post(s)
    Level
    I remember hearing that an actor had been cast for young Hershel, also that Maggie was supposed to appear in 6 episodes. If I remember rightly. But if true, maybe we will see Maggie in those flashbacks. I hope so. We need more of an explanation why she left with Georgie.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Level
    Golly Gee wow flashbacks you say no actual storytelling but flashbacks. Maybe well get to see Maggie's magical uterus push out that little bastard finally

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    I remember hearing that an actor had been cast for young Hershel, also that Maggie was supposed to appear in 6 episodes. If I remember rightly. But if true, maybe we will see Maggie in those flashbacks. I hope so. We need more of an explanation why she left with Georgie.
    It was never confirmed. They were twin boys who are training in MMA fighting. Some of the TWD cast follow them on IG and there were some pics posted of them with Tom Payne so it was speculated they might have been cast to play Hershel Jr. It is possible that they use Hershel Jr. to cover Lauren's absence for flashbacks - maybe show him taking one of Jesus's classes with other kids with the other characters talking about Maggie like she's still there. But I think the main focus of the flashbacks will be to explain what happened that resulted in Michonne and Daryl having X scars on their backs, why Michonne chose to isolate ASZ, and why the plans to open trade routes between the communities never panned out.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Level
    Looking forward to the updates on Jerry and Nabila's baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast