Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #21
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    Ah, my favorite word, "unsustainable". Well, yeah, once it's eaten the food becomes something else, so food as food is definitely unsustainable. I was in Whole Foods the other day and chuckled at the giant banner over the seafood section: "SUSTAINABLE SEAFOOD". Seriously. Think about it. Any species that reproduces is technically sustainable, as a species, although the poor salmon filets I purchased are done for. What is there to blow one's horn about for selling seafood? What makes Whole Foods' seafood more special than anybody else's. Price, for sure.

"Sustainable" is the marketer's virtue signal, but what does it mean?
    Sigh...are you aware that three quarters of the world's wild fish stocks are over-fished or fished at their limit? That wild fish populations are declining due to fishing practices that take too many fish (both for eating & as by-catch, ie. waste products) & leave not enough to reproduce to replace those lost? And that some species' populations (such as Atlantic bluefin tuna) have declined to the point they are threatened with extinction? And that parts of the North Sea & the Mediterranean are largely empty of fish? http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2012...ng-out-of-fish

So sustainable seafood is fish that's caught or farmed in ways that don't destroy wild fish populations, don't pollute local areas surrounding farms (a major problem with many fish farms) & look after the oceans & fishing-dependant communities. Wild-caught fish are caught using techniques that minimise by-catch & leave enough fish to repopulate & farmed fish are taken from responsibly managed farms that minimise the effects on their local environment.

So people fifty or a hundred years from now can still enjoy salmon fillets. See?

2. Back To Top    #22
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Level
    Sigh... you are aware that most of damage done to world fish populations are perpetrated by the filthy Chinese and Japanese fishing industries. Not the oh so bad western diets. The fact these fuckers are whaling and killing sharks for soup alone doesn’t seem to make the calculations, you’ll get no argument from me when it comes to western and world consumption of beef we all know the stats- one pound of beef equals that of 500 gallons of water, grain, etc ,etc. so the simple and eventual conclusion is either we stop eating or a vast reduction in populations are in order. Stop pussyfooting around and call for the recycling of humans or forcibly put contraceptive practices to use in the third world. Other than that everything else is just bullshit

3. Back To Top    #23
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton69 View Post
    Sigh... you are aware that most of damage done to world fish populations are perpetrated by the filthy Chinese and Japanese fishing industries. Not the oh so bad western diets. The fact these fuckers are whaling and killing sharks for soup alone doesnít seem to make the calculations, youíll get no argument from me when it comes to western and world consumption of beef we all know the stats- one pound of beef equals that of 500 gallons of water, grain, etc ,etc. so the simple and eventual conclusion is either we stop eating or a vast reduction in populations are in order. Stop pussyfooting around and call for the recycling of humans or forcibly put contraceptive practices to use in the third world. Other than that everything else is just bullshit
    Sigh...actually if you go back & read my earlier post you'll find at no point do I blame the western diet for fish stock depletion. I'm aware it's a global problem caused by a wide range of countries. If you're interested have a look at this page: http://www.fao.org/newsroom/common/e.../en/stocks.pdf which lists the status of fish stocks worldwide & the main countries fishing in each zone. It's definitely not just China & Japan causing issues. I'm not going to propose we all stop eating (lol) but you're right in that a reduction in the human population is needed. Investing in education for the third world will help (studies show that educating girls lowers the birth rate, as they marry later & are more likely to use birth control) but we in the west can help by being more mindful about our eating practices (and not having more than one or two children, since we use a lot more resources than third world people). I know I have room for improvement as far as food goes.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    Sigh... you are aware that most of damage done to world fish populations are perpetrated by the filthy Chinese and Japanese fishing industries. Not the oh so bad western diets. The fact these fuckers are whaling and killing sharks for soup alone doesnít seem to make the calculations, youíll get no argument from me when it comes to western and world consumption of beef we all know the stats- one pound of beef equals that of 500 gallons of water, grain, etc ,etc. so the simple and eventual conclusion is either we stop eating or a vast reduction in populations are in order. Stop pussyfooting around and call for the recycling of humans or forcibly put contraceptive practices to use in the third world. Other than that everything else is just bullshit
    I posted a reply to this a few days ago but it seems to have got lost. Since I can't be bothered trying to recreate it entirely, in summary:

- nowhere in my earlier post did I blame western diets for over fishing.
    - it's a global issue and it's definitely not just because of China & Japan.
    - this website: http://www.fao.org/newsroom/common/e.../en/stocks.pdf details the status of worldwide fishing zones & lists the countries that are responsible for any fish stock depletion in each area (again, lots of countries are causing the problem).
    - I agree a decrease in global population is needed. Increasing investment in third world girls' education will help (studies show the longer girls stay in school the fewer children they have, due to them marrying later & being more likely to use birth control).
    - but meanwhile we in the west can do more to reduce the environmental impact of our diet (like cutting down on beef, like you said).

That was about it.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet One View Post
    I posted a reply to this a few days ago but it seems to have got lost. Since I can't be bothered trying to recreate it entirely, in summary:

- nowhere in my earlier post did I blame western diets for over fishing.
    - it's a global issue and it's definitely not just because of China & Japan.
    - this website: http://www.fao.org/newsroom/common/e.../en/stocks.pdf details the status of worldwide fishing zones & lists the countries that are responsible for any fish stock depletion in each area (again, lots of countries are causing the problem).
    - I agree a decrease in global population is needed. Increasing investment in third world girls' education will help (studies show the longer girls stay in school the fewer children they have, due to them marrying later & being more likely to use birth control).
    - but meanwhile we in the west can do more to reduce the environmental impact of our diet (like cutting down on beef, like you said).

That was about it.
    So where did I say you blame western diets, I never said that wasnít also a underlying reason, but you donít see the wholesale slaughter and rape if the seas hit the western nations. Ask any commercial fisherman about the regulations which thank god they have em.
    Fuck the third world, educations got fuck all to do with have explosive populations the planet, no sorry the planets fine; we as a species donít have the time for niceties like pipedreams. Funny thing about nature is it takes care of pests itself and if we donít actuall call a spade a spade weíre doomed

6. Back To Top    #26
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    So where did I say you blame western diets, I never said that wasnít also a underlying reason, but you donít see the wholesale slaughter and rape if the seas hit the western nations. Ask any commercial fisherman about the regulations which thank god they have em.
    Well, in your earlier post you blamed China & Japan and quote, "not the oh so bad Western diets", which implies you think I was blaming them. Perhaps I misread. It's true the west has stricter regulations about fishing, but it's also true a great many western fisheries are over fished or depleted. So I'd say the regulations are either not good enough or a case of too little, too late.

Fuck the third world, educations got fuck all to do with have explosive populations the planet, no sorry the planets fine; we as a species donít have the time for niceties like pipedreams. Funny thing about nature is it takes care of pests itself and if we donít actuall call a spade a spade weíre doomed
    Well, you mentioned forcing contraception on the third world as a means of population control. And like I said studies have shown improving education standards acts as a check on population growth due to a lowering of birth rates, so it's a good place to start, as does living smarter & using less resources. We probably do need another Spanish flu or similar to wipe a lot of us out, but it's no good waiting around for one as there's no guarantee we'll get one. And nobody in their right mind is going to propose deliberately releasing something like a weaponised ebola & expect to be taken seriously, not would I advocate such a move. We have to do the best we can & hope we don't fuck the planet up so badly we kill everything on it.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Level
    Well, in your earlier post you blamed China & Japan and quote, "not the oh so bad Western diets", which implies you think I was blaming them. Perhaps I misread. It's true the west has stricter regulations about fishing, but it's also true a great many western fisheries are over fished or depleted. So I'd say the regulations are either not good enough or a case of too little, too late.

Well, you mentioned forcing contraception on the third world as a means of population control. And like I said studies have shown improving education standards acts as a check on population growth due to a lowering of birth rates, so it's a good place to start, as does living smarter & using less resources. We probably do need another Spanish flu or similar to wipe a lot of us out, but it's no good waiting around for one as there's no guarantee we'll get one. And nobody in their right mind is going to propose deliberately releasing something like a weaponised ebola & expect to be taken seriously, not would I advocate such a move. We have to do the best we can & hope we don't fuck the planet up so badly we kill everything on it.
    Funny western education standards are the envy of the world have they solved the worlds problems? that would be a no. Again we donít have the luxury of time for these third world shitholes. When the average sub-Sarahan African male produces six offspring in his lifetime that must be stopped. And all the best wishes wonít change it. Fuck hope thats for pussies who wonít step up and propose the hard and right decisions.
    hope you like the taste of Soylent green

8. Back To Top    #28
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    Funny western education standards are the envy of the world have they solved the worlds problems? that would be a no. Again we don’t have the luxury of time for these third world shitholes. When the average sub-Sarahan African male produces six offspring in his lifetime that must be stopped. And all the best wishes won’t change it. Fuck hope thats for pussies who won’t step up and propose the hard and right decisions.
    hope you like the taste of Soylent green
    Like I said, lift education standards & the birth rate drops. Did you know that globally the birth rate has halved in the last fifty years? Some countries have taken even less time than that - Iran took ten years to drop from six children per woman to less than three. https://ourworldindata.org/fertility-rate

It could also be said, if we're talking about reducing the population, it may be better off to reduce the numbers of westerners & industrialised Asians rather than third worlders, since we use comparatively more resources (not just food, everything). But like I said earlier, no one in their right mind would propose a mass slaughter of billions & expect to be taken seriously.

As for soylent green, since I'm now in my early forties I suspect I'll be dead before things get really shitty, as will you. Your children & their children, maybe not. If only our governments were forward-thinking enough to do something about it. But yours in particular seems determined to take us back in time, not forward.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Level
    Like I said, lift education standards & the birth rate drops. Did you know that globally the birth rate has halved in the last fifty years? Some countries have taken even less time than that - Iran took ten years to drop from six children per woman to less than three. https://ourworldindata.org/fertility-rate

It could also be said, if we're talking about reducing the population, it may be better off to reduce the numbers of westerners & industrialised Asians rather than third worlders, since we use comparatively more resources (not just food, everything). But like I said earlier, no one in their right mind would propose a mass slaughter of billions & expect to be taken seriously.

As for soylent green, since I'm now in my early forties I suspect I'll be dead before things get really shitty, as will you. Your children & their children, maybe not. If only our governments were forward-thinking enough to do something about it. But yours in particular seems determined to take us back in time, not forward.

Ha ha ha yeah us westerners are the problem because the third world has given the planet sooo much innovation. Name me one fuckin thing the third world below the equator has invented to help humanity. Look it’s plain and simple all your little stats mean fuck all the only one that matters and it’s absolutely true, the world food output reached maximum production nearly 20 years ago and has only declined since. World population has only expanded . The oh so horrible U.S. you know the bread basket to the fuckin world, if it ever decided to circle the wagons and just keep our own for our own the planet would be fucked. Sure we import but that’s simply because we like our asparagus year round and not just during its season like it used to be generations ago. it’s very simple. I’ll put it in a way even self hating apologists can understand. Food =good , horrible shitholes that produce nothing but more mouths =bad. Sorry but those massive lines trying to invade my country only prove me right.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Level
    Ha ha ha yeah us westerners are the problem because the third world has given the planet sooo much innovation. Name me one fuckin thing the third world below the equator has invented to help humanity. Look it’s plain and simple all your little stats mean fuck all the only one that matters and it’s absolutely true, the world food output reached maximum production nearly 20 years ago and has only declined since. World population has only expanded . The oh so horrible U.S. you know the bread basket to the fuckin world, if it ever decided to circle the wagons and just keep our own for our own the planet would be fucked. Sure we import but that’s simply because we like our asparagus year round and not just during its season like it used to be generations ago. it’s very simple. I’ll put it in a way even self hating apologists can understand. Food =good , horrible shitholes that produce nothing but more mouths =bad. Sorry but those massive lines trying to invade my country only prove me right.
    Us westerners are the problem because we use massive amounts of resources. Look around you - I don't know about you, but I'm currently sitting in my house (four bedrooms/2 bathrooms/3 living areas for two people & some pets) watching tv while typing this on my laptop with at least four lights blazing. I drive (with the air con on) to work (also air-conned) every day & when I go on holiday I'm almost certainly flying somewhere, quite likely long haul. And I'm nowhere near as high a consumer as a great number of Australians, since many of them use air con in their homes & leave it running while they're out. Americans are notorious consumers - one of you uses as many resources as 35 Indians & you'll cause 13 times as much ecological damage over your lifetime as a Brazilian (https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...mption-habits/). Your population tripled between 1900 & 1989 but your use of raw materials over the same period multiplied by 17. You use a quarter of the world's fossil fuel but only have 5% of the population. I don't mean to single out your country in particular, however, since Westerners in general use way more than their share. It's just an illustration of the problem.
    As far as food production goes, at the moment globally we produce way more than we actually need, but in the future certainly it will be a problem. Which means we need to be smarter about our consumption, cut down on waste (Australians chuck out 14% of our food & I can't imagine other westerners are any better) & change our dietary habits so we eat less (most of us westerners would benefit from that anyway!) & eat less things like beef that use a lot of resources to produce. https://hbr.org/2016/04/global-deman...can-we-meet-it
    As far as the "massive lines" (actually shrinking) of people trying to enter the US go, I believe they're running away from political upheaval, crime & gang violence, not towards food, so that has nothing to do with the current topic. What exactly are you advocating here? That we need some real life Thanos to come along & snap his fingers so half of us vanish? You know that's not going to happen. And maybe some disease will come along & do the job & maybe it won't, & if it does it will affect the entire world, not just the poorer parts of it. You really want that to happen when it could mean the death of yourself & your family & friends? Really?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast