1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Still running against the wind Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Level

Fans Are Furious Another Gay Character’s Been Killed Off

In the penultimate episode of The Walking Dead‘s ninth season, 10 survivors were wiped out by the Whisperers in one of the show’s biggest massacres to date. The fifteenth episode,”The Calm Before,” saw Ezekiel’s fair turn sour when Alpha and her cronies kidnapped and murdered numerous Alexandria, Hilltop and Kingdom citizens, including Enid, Henry and Tara.

With no offense intended to the other fallen characters (R.I.P. Frankie, Ozzie, DJ, etc.), those three were the ones who were mourned the most by fans following the episode’s airing. However, Tara’s death also got a lot of people riled as it spelled the second removal of a rare gay character on the show this same season. The first time it happened was Jesus (Tom Payne) back in the midseason finale.

You’re probably aware that this is a troubling trope not just in TWD but across the television landscape, with the frustrating trend so popular it’s often known as the “burying your gays” trope. And fans were fuming that their favorite series had pulled it off twice in one year.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/walk...racter-killed/

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    A Bargain at Twice the Price! Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1231 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassenach View Post
    In the penultimate episode of The Walking Dead‘s ninth season, 10 survivors were wiped out by the Whisperers in one of the show’s biggest massacres to date. The fifteenth episode,”The Calm Before,” saw Ezekiel’s fair turn sour when Alpha and her cronies kidnapped and murdered numerous Alexandria, Hilltop and Kingdom citizens, including Enid, Henry and Tara.

With no offense intended to the other fallen characters (R.I.P. Frankie, Ozzie, DJ, etc.), those three were the ones who were mourned the most by fans following the episode’s airing. However, Tara’s death also got a lot of people riled as it spelled the second removal of a rare gay character on the show this same season. The first time it happened was Jesus (Tom Payne) back in the midseason finale.

You’re probably aware that this is a troubling trope not just in TWD but across the television landscape, with the frustrating trend so popular it’s often known as the “burying your gays” trope. And fans were fuming that their favorite series had pulled it off twice in one year.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/walk...racter-killed/
    Do a lot of people truly care about this? This rare gay character just killed off is less rare than homosexuals in US society as reported at 3.8% by Gallup in 2015. https://news.gallup.com/poll/183383/...y-lesbian.aspx

To me this is just another instance of a media outlet stirring some shit because that's what media does now.

Seriously, this show doesn't owe me or anybody else gays, blondes, black dudes, white dudes, brunettes, redheads, or fat people, all of which have been killed on this show.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Level
    Lol. If you counted how many straight white people die in tv shows vs everyone else I guarantee more straight white people (mainly men) die.

That said, I do think Magna & Yumiko's introduction did play a part in her death. But I don't think that's the only reason she died. If anything, that may have kept her alive longer than she was intended to be. If Tara wasn't gay she probably would've died in like season 5 or 6. I've even heard interviews where she said she wasn't even supposed to survive The Governor storyline but they liked the character so much they kept her. She got 6 years out of her character.

But the reality of the situation is if you start going through the list of big characters to kill off and you start crossing off the ones that are invincible at the moment like Daryl, Carol, Michonne, Negan and Judith and then you cross off characters that are currently involved in a storyline like Eugene, Gabriel, Rosita and Siddiq and you cross off new characters that aren't established enough to kill off like Magna's group & Lydia, you really aren't left with much to work with. Tara, Enid, Henry & Aaron were like the only 4 big ones left that they could've gone with at that moment and they went with 3 of the 4. They could've gone with Aaron over Tara but that wouldn't really change the shitstorm people are whining about right now and of the 2 I think Tara would probably mean more in the story and to the audience and Aaron also has to watch over his daughter now so that could also explain why he wasn't on there.

Can't people just be happy that their type is being represented at all? Who cares if they die. Everyone dies on this show. Just because you are gay that shouldn't make you special. I get being mad that Tara died if she was your favorite but being mad that Tara died because she was gay is just silly.

Besides, where was all these fuckers when Glenn died? Yknow how long it took the show to get another Asian character? If anything has been under represented in this show it would be that. 9 years and only 2 Asian characters. Woodbury's Evil Glenn and Hilltop's Walmart Glenn don't count.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Level
    These cocksucking sjw’s should just wrap themselves up in mommy’s blanket and weep til all the worlds injustices are cured. Oh that’s never gonna happen you say well let’s get em some chairs and ropes because nobody gives a fuck

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Level
    People focus on all the wrong things. Instead of noticing and celebrating that there's more diversity on tv shows than ever before in history, people whine and complain. Then, after whining and complaining, they whine and complain because their whines and complaints aren't met with positive attitudes.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Level
    Should have saved Tara and killed Maggie.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieBek View Post
    Should have saved Tara and killed Maggie.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Everything Else Is Cream Cheese Diseman81's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Level
    Some people just don’t quit. If anything gay characters have been over represented on TWD. Tara lasted a very long time on a show where people are killed off frequently.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Level
    Man I still don’t know if that slingshot assholes a male/female but I do know regardless - black and trans now means at least a few seasons longer than usual

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Level
    Well, there are three other gay characters still on the show, so I don't think there's anything to really get too upset about. It's a pretty diverse cast all round these days.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast