Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Level

Anyone Miss Shows with Villain Main Characters? (spoilers)

What happened? Why aren't they making them anymore for the most part?

The Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    Dexter
    Sons of Anarchy
    The Shield
    House of Cards
    Hannibal
    Bloodline
    Banshee
    The Americans

Most of the best shows in TV history have had bad guy main characters but unless it's a spinoff like Better Call Saul or Mayans or based on true events we aren't seeing many villain led original shows anymore. I don't really count Ray Donovan or Vikings because they've been around since 2013 when a lot of the shows I listed were still going.

Where are all the new bad guy led shows? I watch a lot of TV shows and I went through the last year of television I've watched (I keep track) and the only villain led shows I can find that isn't a show that has been on for a long time is Ozark and maybe Billions. That's it.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    I do. I think that is why I enjoyed Negan so much when we were first introduced to him, it was different for the time and scary nervous fun just hearing of him through character attacks at first and then the build up to it, it paid off well to me, probably since I don't read the comics. They did the Negan character well to me for at least the finale when we met him all the way until the next mid season finale, then they made a joke of him. I would have liked seeing his whole story and how he started his living set up. I remember being little and watching a lot of shows with the villain as main character in the eighties, Negan reminded me of that. Actually The Governor story on TWD does too. Both were fun to watch to me.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Level
    Negan isn't the main character though. I mean shows where the main character is the bad guy. He might be the hero of his story but looking at it from the outside he is the bad guy.

The golden era of TV had all these really interesting characters that most would consider bad but now most shows the main character is just the good guy again and I think that's why so many shows have been pretty boring as of late. Not that a good character can't be interesting but bad characters are way easier to make interesting.

I wonder if it's a political thing. They want everything to be so PC and likable now which to me just makes them less likable.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a main character do something really bad?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    not really

you are really into this PC shit man, let it go

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Negan isn't the main character though. I mean shows where the main character is the bad guy. He might be the hero of his story but looking at it from the outside he is the bad guy.

The golden era of TV had all these really interesting characters that most would consider bad but now most shows the main character is just the good guy again and I think that's why so many shows have been pretty boring as of late. Not that a good character can't be interesting but bad characters are way easier to make interesting.

I wonder if it's a political thing. They want everything to be so PC and likable now which to me just makes them less likable.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a main character do something really bad?
    Yes I know what you meant and agreed. I just gave credit to it being exciting when TWD rolled out Negan and he was such a main focus and was an ultimate bad guy, it reminded me of that sort of setup for a moment. Maybe it is a PC deal these days. Enough people at first sided with Negan as opposite Rick for awhile when it was believable, at least on twitter, so maybe others would also welcome a show with a strong villain character as lead. Probably our audience would have still followed Rick Grimes and justified his actions if he were to really go rouge instead of being and remaining a hero and "leaving". It would have been interesting to see what that could have been like.
    Imagine if they made Daryl now be the lead and turn ultimate villain. lol. I still wouldn't care and it wouldn't make me more interested in his character and a changing TWD story line, just saying IF it were to happen. The PC broadcast police would never allow that though.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelipens View Post
    not really

you are really into this PC shit man, let it go
    I could do that. Just like you could suck my dick.

You first.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Level
    Just let negan go and be off on his own being negan and you’d have a cool show