Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level

Laurie Holden Was Asked to Join Writing Staff. Is It Possible She Referred to TWD?

When I was scrolling through twitter I found an interesting Laurie Holden post. She was in discussion with Ellen Barking about whether she has been ever ask to hire her own replacement. This was Holden answers:

No, but I was asked ( after being appallingly treated and let go by my show runner- as an “actress”), to consider staying on and joining the writing staff.
    Although Holden didn't specifically say who she was talking about, the only showrunner she was conflicted in the recent years was Glenn Mazzara. Is it possible she had him and TWD in mind? Of course this is only my assumption but it is not a secret that the relationship between her and him was pretty difficult. If I am correct and she was really talking about him, I think this had to be a big slap in the face for her. At first she was fired despite her contract deal and the offered something like that as a "satisfaction". But as I said, this is only my assumption.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Waiting for Aaron to get more screentime.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Level
    Well yeah

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    706 Post(s)
    Level
    What experience had she in scriptwriting?

She should never have been told by ( I think it was Nicotero) that her character would last for 8 seasons and she shouldn't have believed it with a show like the Walking Dead.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1246 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    What experience had she in scriptwriting?

She should never have been told by ( I think it was Nicotero) that her character would last for 8 seasons and she shouldn't have believed it with a show like the Walking Dead.
    Her character lived for a long time in the comics, so I don't fault her for believing something told to her that was consistent with the comic version of her character.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    Holden publicly said she was contracted for eight years. It wasn't that someone told her that. I know that in TWD everything can happen but losing a job after 3 years only beacuse one person was problematic to work with, can be a hard pill to swallow. Let's not forget that some names from the first two seasons stayed that long in the series (Lincoln, Gurira, McBride, Reedus, Cohan) and if they wanted to leave they did it on their own terms.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    706 Post(s)
    Level
    I didn't know that she was actually contracted for 8 years, so I'l stand corrected. I had thought it was just something she had been told.

While she did a great job with the material she was given, I believe she was miscast as Andrea, at least miscast if they wanted a more direct version of the comic character. Her being older than her comic character worked great in the short term, but led to problems later. If they had cast say Emma Bell (Amy) as Andrea, would the writers have been as tempted to write her a relationship with the Governor? Or have her diverge so much from he comic?

Her character's death was the result of their prior writing for her. She really had (IMO) nowhere else to go, and her death did advance the story very well.

And when Gimple re-filmed some of her final scenes, couldn't he have overturned Mazarra's decision to kill her off? He didn't.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    I didn't know that she was actually contracted for 8 years, so I'l stand corrected. I had thought it was just something she had been told.

While she did a great job with the material she was given, I believe she was miscast as Andrea, at least miscast if they wanted a more direct version of the comic character. Her being older than her comic character worked great in the short term, but led to problems later. If they had cast say Emma Bell (Amy) as Andrea, would the writers have been as tempted to write her a relationship with the Governor? Or have her diverge so much from he comic?

Her character's death was the result of their prior writing for her. She really had (IMO) nowhere else to go, and her death did advance the story very well.

And when Gimple re-filmed some of her final scenes, couldn't he have overturned Mazarra's decision to kill her off? He didn't.
    Holden made it public about her contract deal in 2014 during Walker Stalker Con in Chicago. So this information isn't new.

Was Holden age really the issue? I don't think so. Casting an older actress for the part didn't change that much. We saw at the beginning that she was a really capable actress that could pull of the material she was given. Till they were using Darabont ideas, she did good. The problems appeard when Mazzara took over. I partially believe that he destroyed Andrea storyline in purpose beacuse episode after episode, her situation was more and more messed up. Holden made it pretty clear that the both didn't get along very and this story was an utter nonsense. But...was Andrea death really needed? I don't think so, espiecially beacuse they later adapted a lot of her story from the comic.

The re-filmed scenes. I was always curious why they didn't changed that. Maybe Holden didn't want to comeback after all? She had a lot of difficult situations during season 3 so... Or maybe they couldn't?