Forgot your username?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Level

Jeffrey Dean Morgan Admits Negan Was “One-Dimensional” in Seasons 7 & 8

The Walking Dead star Jeffrey Dean Morgan admits former Savior leader Negan, introduced in the Season 6 finale, was a repetitive and “very one-dimensional” character in Seasons 7 and 8. It wasn’t until Season 9, post-All Out War and under the stewardship of Angela Kang — who inherited showrunning duties from now TWD chief content officer Scott Gimple — that Negan became a three-dimensional character. Rounded out through his friendship with Judith Grimes (Cailey Fleming) and his dynamic with keeper Father Gabriel (Seth Gilliam), the former bat-swinging bad guy has taken shape as an anti-hero. That ongoing transformation, still unfolding in Season 10, has Morgan feeling “really grateful.”

“I thought the first couple of years that we knew Negan was very one-dimensional. To me, when Negan came out of the RV for the first time, we didn’t learn anything about him for two years, three years. And that was hard,” Morgan said at Walker Stalker Con Atlanta. “I felt like everything that I said coming out of that RV is sort of what I said for the next two years, and never shifted. I think with the introduction of Judith, and that relationship, we got to see a little different side of him.”

Pieces of Negan’s backstory came to light in Season 8, where Negan confessed sins to Gabriel when opening up about his late wife, Lucille. The namesake of his beloved barbwire-wrapped baseball bat was mentioned again in conversation with Jadis (Pollyanna McIntosh).

Morgan, who has pushed for a Negan movie since 2016, remains hopeful TWD Universe will one day bring Negan’s origin story to screen. Creator Robert Kirkman detailed that origin in ‘Here’s Negan,’ a prequel to his time in The Walking Dead comic book.

“There’s been pieces that he’s been able to kind of throw out — we never have done the episode of how Negan became Negan, unfortunately — and maybe we will, I don’t know,” Morgan said. “But with Judith’s help and a couple other characters, now Negan is more of a three-dimensional character.”

Full article

I'm pretty sure I remember him talking about how badass Negan was when the character was first introduced.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Level
    I have noticed that Negan is less irritating to me now. I am not sure if it is because of an improvement in character development or if the rest of the cast is becoming more so.
    So many viewers were complaining about Negan for a long time and TPTB/cast kept raving about JDM and Negan in their PR pieces/interviews that there is definitely some vindication in reading this article, at least for me.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Level
    The whole idea of a guy who savagely beats in this case two of your best friends and the father of your child to death in a lawless world and you....... make him garden is just stupid at its core period

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    I have liked Negan as a baddie from the beginning. I don't agree about trying to make him a good guy in recovery these days. I think that he should still die at the hands and understanding of Maggie and Michonne, before Michonne leaves, but I accept that is just never going to happen. I do like his story involving him and Judith, just as his and Carl's. I like Jeffrey Dead Morgan as an actor on this, but I don't believe that our core family should ever be believable that they could give Negan redemption for his savage murderings of Glenn and Abraham. It's just not going to ever be right, no matter any excuse or sacrifice that he may make these days, as a member of the current society. He could be allotted to just go off on his solo and live, like Daryl gave Dwight the right to do. Maggie, Daryl, Michonne and Rosita could never forgive him and move on in a life that includes acceptance of him after things he's done to their lives.