Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #11
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1745 Post(s)
    Level
    The biggest error for me was them not hiring a better acting coach for Chandler. He was just not good at all. Plus they made Carl very unlikable for me. Maybe because he wanted to act like an adult.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Level
    Killing Shane. I would have loved to see him survive longer.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Level
    If Shane had survived I really think he would have had a full-blown rubber room needing a straitjacket nervous breakdown. A interesting scenario since he seemed at the beginning one of the best suited for an apocalpyse. But it would have been a drag having to drag him around.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    628 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    And I really liked Welcome to the Tombs. The Governor gunning down all his people was a real shocker and he was too good a character to die when he did in the comics. I really liked that they gave him another go-around. Sorry that Andrea had to die but it was inevitable at that point.

The ending to that episode was beautiful in a way I don't remember the show being since. Best, weepiest music ever. Maybe the mistake was letting Glen Mazzara go.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ_Iqcl_-JM
    Letting Mazarra go was definitely a huge mistake. That being said, I forgot how much of a whiny brat Carl was at that time, but I do agree about the music

5. Back To Top    #15
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Level
    The ending to that episode was beautiful in a way I don't remember the show being since. Best, weepiest music ever. Maybe the mistake was letting Glen Mazzara go.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ_Iqcl_-JM
    That music reminded me of the LOST episode where Jin and Sun went down in the submarine. LOST had the best music of all time, but the ending of this episode had a very similar musical vibe.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Level
    Gosh, I don't even remember "Welcome to the Tombs", and I don't remember the specific differences related to each show runner, but I do recall how crappy Scott Gimple was. I think leaving him in charge for too long was the biggest mistake the show made. Under him we were treated to a lot of media garbage such as talking up particular story arcs, and alluding to things that amounted to nothing more than trickery on the part of TPTB. He came up with ridiculous stories trying to extend/fill the source material, doubled down on things that were not well received, and he toyed in an almost malicious way with the audience/fans. He is responsible for the loss of good faith (by the fans) toward the show and the loss of tons of viewers.

Their second biggest mistake was ending the Grimes story, Carl should be here to take over for Rick. I know CR wasn't the best actor, but let's face it, Judith hardly spent time with Rick, and RJ never knew him so they aren't really qualified to carry on the Grimes family in anything but name.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Level
    I admit I was happy to see Mazzara replaced at the time but in retrospect I wish he had stayed. With him as showrunner it felt like you could just enjoy the show, but with Gimple the storytelling got more complex (too often a nice word for muddled). Felt you always had to be on the lookout for clues which would have been great if there had been a payoff. But there wasn't

8. Back To Top    #18
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Level
    I admit I was happy to see Mazzara replaced at the time but in retrospect I wish he had stayed. With him as showrunner it felt like you could just enjoy the show, but with Gimple the storytelling got more complex (too often a nice word for muddled). Felt you always had to be on the lookout for clues which would have been great if there had been a payoff. But there wasn't
    Wasn't Mazzara responsible for butchering Andrea's character, though? I was just a casual viewer back then and didn't know or care about behind the scenes drama, but I remember hating with a passion what was done with Andrea's character, which led me to hate that character and be happy she died. In hindsight, I can see I was right in being pissed at her storyline and whoever was responsible for it.

I think Gimps was too hung up in what he said he was hung up about - ensuring nobody could predict what would happen. He carried that to such an extreme that he ended up having storylines that made absolutely no sense killing time between comics milestones. Then, when he was asked about certain storylines, his response was, too often, it is whatever the viewer thinks it is. Maddening.

I think an error was killing Dr. Jenner. I suspect Noah Emmerich has places to go and things to do, and perhaps Darabont just wanted a one off storyline with him. That's fine. It's not the biggest error, IMO, but I think the show would have been better with Jenner out there with the rest of them for awhile.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    Wasn't Mazzara responsible for butchering Andrea's character, though? I was just a casual viewer back then and didn't know or care about behind the scenes drama, but I remember hating with a passion what was done with Andrea's character, which led me to hate that character and be happy she died. In hindsight, I can see I was right in being pissed at her storyline and whoever was responsible for it.
    I guess it depends on when people feel her character was ruined. I wasn't a fan from the moment she was introduced and disliked her more and more as time went by. To be fair, I didn't really like any of the women all that much in the first few seasons but Andrea was by far the worst.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Level
    I didn't mind Andrea until she went all in with the Governor. I guess that was the butchering of the character, though lol. @shrike "muddled" is a good word for what SG did. I think he has a huge ego and believes his esoteric style to be superior, but what we really want are characters that make sense, we like, and feel invested in.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast