Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Back To Top    #11
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I am big fan, and until now I am thrilled everytime I watch it.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    The best villain was still the Governor hands down..

Simon is brutal but he can't keep all the saviors in line like Negan did... Simon only had hard power... Negan has both hard and soft power... know how to be harsh but also know how to make people fall in line and make people work for him.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Negan was always a bad guy since hes been on the show but looks like he's calm down little

4. Back To Top    #14
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Negan isn't a villain. He's a survivor just like everyone else.

Anyone calling him a villain is using the perspective of someone in Rick's group. Or, a victim mentality.

As seen in Michonne's could-have-been scenes, fate could have made her one of his people instead of Rick's, and people would have hated her too.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Status
    But everyone knew her as Nancy Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1268 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronn View Post
    Anyone calling him a villain is using the perspective of someone in Rick's group.
    Dwight, Sherry, Dwight's friend who he had to capture after escape and bring back to be a zombie on the fence, Amber and her boyfriend/husband who also got his face ironed, are just some in Negan's group who probably thought him a villain. Oceanside, while not overrun by Negan himself, was gutted by someone acting on Negan's orders, despite having gone overboard in executing them. Hilltop, the Kingdom, and other communities forced to pay tribute considered him a villain without the benefit of the perspective of someone in Rick's group.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    Dwight, Sherry, Dwight's friend who he had to capture after escape and bring back to be a zombie on the fence, Amber and her boyfriend/husband who also got his face ironed, are just some in Negan's group who probably thought him a villain. Oceanside, while not overrun by Negan himself, was gutted by someone acting on Negan's orders, despite having gone overboard in executing them. Hilltop, the Kingdom, and other communities forced to pay tribute considered him a villain without the benefit of the perspective of someone in Rick's group.
    All of the people you mentioned knew exactly what they were getting into, and were on the receiving end of, when they signed up to join Negan's group. They had a change of heart and wanted to void the social contract they had made.

IIRC, at least in the comics, Negan didn't just go around ironing faces because it was fun. It was mostly punishment for "crimes" that endangered others in the group. Sure, his ego made it seem at times like he was doing it to assert some kind of authority.

While his heavy hand IS certainly a flaw, he also had a code. Women and children were protected. Everyone was provided for. Yes, I know he had his own personal harem and all that. But Negan's hierarchy reflects the people he was leading. I don't think those people, before the plague, would have been your average, every day, cool, down to earth people. Even though Negan himself came from a pretty mundane profession, The Saviors were pretty much comprised of society's outcasts and "lesser" individuals.

I digress a little here, but show-written Negan could be perceived as more of a villain than comic Negan. Yes. But I write that off to poor show-writing decisions paired with phenomenal acting by JDM.

You pointed out Negan's actions (even though his orders were disobeyed) in Oceanside. How do you think the red-shirt people of Terminus or Woodbury felt about Rick's actions? You judge Oceanside as "good" while places like Terminus and Woodbury as "bad."

Therein lies the problem.

Rick and Negan are almost exactly the same character. One just represents "softer" morality and the other a more "harsher" morality. They both do good and bad things to protect their people, and both of their egos have hurt them at times.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree. Hayrd to see Simon die by Negan's hand. Simon did his own dirty work. Negan was and is just a bully. Willbe glad to see him gone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12