1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    It is well with my soul Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Level

Simon Was A Better Villain Than Negan

Hereís why Neganís underling Simon was the better villain of the pair on The Walking Dead. Of all the murderous, megalomaniac villains that have thrown their weight around on The Walking Dead, Negan is often hailed as the greatest. Within moments of his introduction, Negan had bludgeoned two fan favorites to death (R.I.P. Glenn and Abraham) and was shown to be just as ruthless towards his own people with his tendency to brand them with an iron if they stepped out of line.

Of course, that was forever ago in The Walking Dead timeline and these days Negan spends his time tending to his tomato patch or dispensing fatherly advice to former mortal enemy Rick Grimesí kid Judith. But even at his worst, there was a method to Neganís madness and brutality. Back in his baseball bat-wielding days, Negan would kill people to make an example of them and keep others in line with the ultimate goal of extorting resources from other communities. Simon, on the other hand, was a different beast entirely.

Simon may have been the Saviorsí second-in-command on The Walking Dead but, arguably, he was a much better villain than their leader Ė especially in light of Neganís seeming redemption. Whereas Negan had rules Ė albeit rules with brutal consequences Ė Simon was unpredictable in his brutality. While Negan saw other communities and their people as resources, Simon was happy to wipe out entire settlements at whim.

Full article

Is Negan "often hailed as the greatest villain on the show"?

I've heard a lot of people say that they thought the Governor was a better villain than Negan. Though I will say Simon always came across as more intimidating to me than Negan ever did. The Governor took out whole groups of people, just like Simon did. Negan always says people are a resource.

What do yall think?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    721 Post(s)
    Level
    Simon may have been more unpredictable but that's why he wasn't as good a leader. Had he been in charge, I doubt he could have compelled the saviours to say "I am Simon" He wouldn't even thought to have that kind of organization.

He was like the Id to Negan's ego.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    But everyone knew her as Nancy Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1268 Post(s)
    Level
    I dunno. If we're talking about all the villains to date, I'd have to say Gareth was the best. Gubner was petulant who was benevolent until things didn't go his way, Dawn (if she can even be included) was simply a delusional poseur, Negan was a mindfucker, and Simon lacked discipline. Gareth was detached and indifferent and did not care whether or not his captives joined them or fed them.

As much as I enjoy Samantha Morton and her portrayal of Alpha, I cannot understand what draws her followers to her and keeps them with her. The villains listed above offered security and varying levels of comfort to those who toed the line. Alpha offers misery, and I don't get people who wouldn't trade a skin suit for an occasional bath and clean clothes.

Steven Ogg knocked his portrayal of Simon out of the park, but so did the others (and I'll include Dawn here, because I thought the actress did a fantastic job with what little she was given).

The bottom line is that one's taste in villains is pretty subjective, like just about everything else.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Level
    Who exactly hails Negan as the greatest villain on the show? That character basically killed the fan base. I do believe that Simon was a far better villain and more believable as one too.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    615 Post(s)
    Level
    It's hard to argue but don't forget that Steven Ogg did audition for Negan. The only reason he got passed on is probably because JDM is a bigger star than him and looks more like Negan but they liked Ogg so much that they made a role for him. So in a way he kinda did play Negan. Just a different version of the character.

But I do think had he played Negan people would've been bitching still. Even more maybe. Because they tried to make JDM's Negan at least a little redeeming. If Negan was more like Simon people still would've been babies bitching about him being a mustache twirling bully. But the fact that he was the lackey means he didn't have to have that pressure to carry the whole show.

I do like Simon more than Negan though.

Of the big 3 villains I prefer The Governor the most.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Level
    Personally I think the Governor is the best villain. I find Negan too cartoonish & while I liked Simon he wouldn't have been as effective or persuasive a leader as Negan was (despite the cartoonery).

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Level
    They could have said Simon Says, instead of I am Negan. A missed opportunity.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    I have liked Negan and all of the villains, including Simon, he was fantastic, but Negan is my favorite. My favorite episodes of this entire series revolves around The Saviors compound with our family's mistake in awaking the Beast that they'd learn is named Negan and Negan's introduction. I also liked the episode which showed Daryl being a prisoner. I like to feel fear for our family while watching this show. I don't enjoy seeing them living on easy street.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Level
    Simon was a well put together, funny version of The Governor. But he was what he was. Negan has layers. Simon was like a bottle rocket and he popped on time.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Level
    Steven Ogg was too good to be killed off so early.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast