Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Back To Top    #21
    Status
    Waiting for Aaron to get more screentime.
    Threads
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Level
    Negan was perfect in the comics and that's where he should have stayed. He's really not transfered to big screen all that wel

Not to mention I've always thought JDM was the wrong choice to cast, theyve started shoving his redemption arc down our throats. Other people might be able to forgive and forget that he brutally murdered Abe and Glenn in front of their family, but I wont

2. Back To Top    #22
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    I managed to miss your response of many months back. @meesha1971 provided a better response than I could have, and I agree with what she wrote. I've got a couple of things to add.

I'm not so sure about that. Remember Sherry's sister? She was the diabetic for whom Dwight and Sherry took the insulin and ran because otherwise, the sister was going to be forced to be one of Negan's wives in order to receive her insulin. The people were provided for to the extent they could pay for what they took from the company store. Rick and his people never demanded payment for what they'd scavenged on their runs.

The people of Woodbury felt about Rick in accordance with what Gubner told them about Rick in order to gain their agreement to battle Rick for him. The only people in Woodbury (other than Andrea) who knew Rick were Tyreese and Sasha, and while Tyreese mentioned Rick was crazy, he didn't agree with Gubner's assessment of Rick and managed to get himself and Sasha excused from war duty. After the battle and Gubner having turned on his own people, the Woodburians accepted refuge at the prison, so they mustn't have had too bad of an impression of Rick. Even Tara, after Gubner Battle #2, had a preconceived idea of Rick based on what "Bryan" told that group but saw pretty quickly in that battle that she'd been misled.

I didn't judge Oceanside, Terminus, and Woodbury as good or bad. I think the show did a good job of showing those backstories. Of those three, Oceanside had the most legitimate beef with Rick, yet they were able to discern which side was the lesser of two evils, if good/bad weren't options to them. They put their lives on the line to side with The People of Rick.

Well said. I know the general focus is typically on the fact that Negan brutally murdered Glenn and Abraham, but really, that's only the tip of the iceberg. Negan did so many terrible things - and celebrated each and every one because he is truly a horrible person with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The women in the harem were terrified of him and wanted him dead. The workers at the sanctuary hated him and wanted him to suffer. Dwight wanted him dead. Being inside the sanctuary to see Negan's perspective didn't change the facts. It only put more emphasis on his villainy.

The people at Woodbury were lied to so they were victims of the governor as much as TF. Rick acknowledged that and they were welcomed at the prison. Tara was the only one at the governor's camp who turned against him, but Glenn and Rick believed in her so she was also welcomed. Terminus and Oceanside were actually murdering innocent people without cause - Terminus using them for food and Oceanside acting out of paranoia because they were hiding from the saviors. But Oceanside was a more gray area because they were following Natania's lead and they didn't really like it. They certainly didn't celebrate it the way Negan did. After Natania was killed, Cyndie changed things so they were welcomed into the alliance of the communities as well.

That's the difference with a properly written redemption arc - the audience is given reason to believe it from the start. We knew from the beginning that Cyndie didn't agree with her grandmother and wanted to change things. We saw how reluctant Beatrice was and how great her fear of the saviors was. And we were shown that Natania was the one insisting that they live that way and the one who refused to join TF even when everyone else in the community wanted to. Things like that make a big difference. Grand gestures like saving someone are completely meaningless for redemption when you're also being shown that the villain has not really changed, has no regrets at all, and is only doing it because it suits their personal agenda.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123