Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #661
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Level
    Australia has just recorded its 103rd coronavirus death, that of a 30 year old man in a small central Queensland town that hadn't previously had any cases. He hadn't left the town for months & authorities are trying to work out how he caught the virus. An aged care nurse in a nearby city who went to work sick (so far none of her patients have tested positive) admits to driving to the town to "see the sunset". She says she didn't get out of the car but it's a 4 hour round trip, & who drives for 4 hours to see a sunset & not even get out of the car? It's a very suss story & I think there must be more to it.

Meanwhile the NRL (rugby league) is starting up again this weekend, playing to empty stadiums. @Beatrice I seem to remember your mum likes football - the NRL is apparently screening in the US (I don't know where or on what, sorry) & she might find it interesting to see, given the lack of your own games. It's a little like your football but without all the padding. Very physical.

There are ongoing talks between the Australian & NZ governments about establishing a "travel bubble" between the two countries, which looks almost certain to go ahead in the next few months. NZ is my favourite country so I'm there as soon as it opens up, lol.

And the premier in my state, Annastacia Palaszczuk, is engaged in a war of words with the premier of New South Wales, the state immediately to the south, as New South Welshmen want to escape their winter & head to Queensland for a holiday & Palasczcuk doesn't want to let them in given the higher levels of community transmission in NSW. Most Queenslanders agree with the premier but a couple of populist politicians are threatening to lodge a case in the High Court (that's the Supreme Court equivalent) as they think it's "unconstitutional". We'll see what happens.

That's about all that's happening here. We're slowly opening up. I had lunch in a cafe the other day for the first time in months (they're only just starting to allow in-house dining) & I had to give my phone number in case a staff member or fellow diner tests positive. That must get very tiresome for the waiters.

2. Back To Top    #662
    Status
    But everyone knew her as Nancy Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1271 Post(s)
    Level
    At appointment this morning. Thought I'd pass this along.

3. Back To Top    #663
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    At appointment this morning. Thought I'd pass this along.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7b&oe=5EF4C783
    I happen to agree. The poster makes it seem as if you are spreading more germs with the gloves on, but that's not true. Unless we are constantly sanitizing our hands they are spreading and collecting germs every time we touch something. The trick is to minimize touching things unnecessarily and to wash or sanitize after, and as usual, avoid touching the face.

4. Back To Top    #664
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1271 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet One View Post
    Australia has just recorded its 103rd coronavirus death, that of a 30 year old man in a small central Queensland town that hadn't previously had any cases. He hadn't left the town for months & authorities are trying to work out how he caught the virus. An aged care nurse in a nearby city who went to work sick (so far none of her patients have tested positive) admits to driving to the town to "see the sunset". She says she didn't get out of the car but it's a 4 hour round trip, & who drives for 4 hours to see a sunset & not even get out of the car? It's a very suss story & I think there must be more to it.

Meanwhile the NRL (rugby league) is starting up again this weekend, playing to empty stadiums. @Beatrice I seem to remember your mum likes football - the NRL is apparently screening in the US (I don't know where or on what, sorry) & she might find it interesting to see, given the lack of your own games. It's a little like your football but without all the padding. Very physical.

There are ongoing talks between the Australian & NZ governments about establishing a "travel bubble" between the two countries, which looks almost certain to go ahead in the next few months. NZ is my favourite country so I'm there as soon as it opens up, lol.

And the premier in my state, Annastacia Palaszczuk, is engaged in a war of words with the premier of New South Wales, the state immediately to the south, as New South Welshmen want to escape their winter & head to Queensland for a holiday & Palasczcuk doesn't want to let them in given the higher levels of community transmission in NSW. Most Queenslanders agree with the premier but a couple of populist politicians are threatening to lodge a case in the High Court (that's the Supreme Court equivalent) as they think it's "unconstitutional". We'll see what happens.

That's about all that's happening here. We're slowly opening up. I had lunch in a cafe the other day for the first time in months (they're only just starting to allow in-house dining) & I had to give my phone number in case a staff member or fellow diner tests positive. That must get very tiresome for the waiters.
    First of all, I'd like to address your final paragraph. I posted this over in Post #117 of the Question Everything thread, but it looks like it applies here:

Alrightie. It's happening. I was just prompted to download and install the latest iOS version 13.5. I did not do it. Take a look. This is what that update does, verbatim:

iOS 13.5 speeds up access to the passcode field on devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask and introduces the Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities. This update also introduces an option to control automatic prominence of video tiles on Group FaceTime calls and includes bug fixes and other improvements.

Face ID and Passcode
    • Simplified unlock process for devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask
    • Passcode field automatically presented after swiping up from the bottom of the Lock screen when you are wearing a face mask
    • Also works when authenticating with the App Store, Apple Books, Apple Pay, iTunes, and other apps that support signing in with Face ID

Exposure Notification
    • Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities

• FaceTime
    • Option to control automatic prominence on Group FaceTime calls so video tiles do not change size when a participant speaks

• Emergency Services
    • Option to automatically share health and other essential information from your Medical ID with emergency services when you place an emergency call (US only)

• This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
    • Fixes an issue where users may see a black screen when trying to play streaming video from some websites
    • Addresses an issue in the share sheet where suggestions and actions may not load

Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

I don't know all the technical stuff involved, but if they're asking for your phone number they must be doing contact tracing. I agree that it must be a royal pain for the wait staff.

You already know my position on automobile travel bans. We disagree, so I'm not going to go into it again.

Thank you for the rugby recommendation, but Mom has never had any interest in it. I don't know if she'd be desperate enough to try to learn it, but I'm not sure her present mental capacities would allow that. Besides she's always been more interested in the individuals who play than the teams they play for. For example, she'll cheer for Tom Brady this season (if she makes it that long) even though he's no longer with the Patriots. She would follow Eli Manning anywhere, God knows why. She's the same with golfers and NBA players. She's more involved with team play at the college level. She's found some college basketball and golf to tide her over when she's not glued to ESPN, but she's dying to get her Texas Rangers baseball team back and grieved mightily over losing the Mavs for the season. I have no idea who she follows on those teams. Fortunately she'd rather watch than talk about it.

Y'know, I've been wondering the past few years what Australia's stance on immigration is considering it is a continent comprising states with borders, with no adjacent foreign countries. I know right now in the US, the travel ban from certain cities and states has been relaxed. I find it so interesting that, regardless of a state's position on illegal immigration, it seems to have no problem banning the ingress of Americans from other cities, states, or parts of the country. Oh well, that's another subject. I'll be interested to know the outcome of the war of words and any case that might be lodged with your High Court.

5. Back To Top    #665
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Level
    Any waitstaff asks me for my phone number other than because I’m so hot. is either going to get a fake one or get told politely to fuck off

6. Back To Top    #666
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Level
    BOOM! President Trump cut ties with the WHO.

7. Back To Top    #667
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Level
    But on a brighter note the mayor of of Minneapolis is giving out masks to the rioters. After all, you want to keep the animals safe as they pile 7 big screen tv’s on their backs leaving a burning Target.

8. Back To Top    #668
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    I don't know all the technical stuff involved, but if they're asking for your phone number they must be doing contact tracing. I agree that it must be a royal pain for the wait staff.

Y'know, I've been wondering the past few years what Australia's stance on immigration is considering it is a continent comprising states with borders, with no adjacent foreign countries. I know right now in the US, the travel ban from certain cities and states has been relaxed. I find it so interesting that, regardless of a state's position on illegal immigration, it seems to have no problem banning the ingress of Americans from other cities, states, or parts of the country. Oh well, that's another subject. I'll be interested to know the outcome of the war of words and any case that might be lodged with your High Court.

It would be for contact tracing, which has been widely used here & is a big part of why our case numbers are so low. Anyone who comes into contact with a known case is asked to quarantine themselves at home for two weeks. Personally, I'd rather know I'd been close to a case so I could avoid close contact with my mum (who is higher risk than me) & watch very closely for symptoms.

I'm glad your mum has found some sport to keep her going without what she normally watches. Apparently sports fans here have been watching the German national soccer league, as it was the only sport being shown on tv here. They'll all be happy to have their rugby back now.

As for immigration, I'm assuming you mean international & the ability of people to move here - at the moment there isn't any at all, as the international borders are closed to all except Australian citizens & permanent residents. Even those on work or student visas are being kept out. But in normal times from what I understand it's quite hard to get into the country on a permanent basis, depending on where you come from. We take in several thousand refugees each year, of course, & someone who has been given permanent residency can bring in their immediate family as well. I believe people who come in on a student visa can transfer to a work visa once they graduate, & then I think there are pathways to permanent residency after that. We also take skilled migrants, who have qualifications in professions we have shortages in (chefs, for example, & I think nurses). But if you're unskilled (like, say, a retail worker) & don't have an Australian partner then it would be very hard to move here. It's apparently a very long, involved & laborious process getting a visa.
    There aren't any variations state-by-state regarding illegal immigration, as that's a federal issue. It isn't a major problem since, as you note, we're an island. Mostly it's people arriving here on a tourist visa & then deciding to stay (and why wouldn't you? We're a great country, lol). The federal government also dictates what happens with asylum seekers who arrive here either by plane or boat, so-called "queue-jumpers", & they are very harsh - that's a whole other topic.
    All that probably makes us sound very insular, but it's actually the opposite - we're a very multicultural country with immigrants from every nation on earth. In fact, one quarter of the population was born elsewhere, & one third were either born elsewhere or have a foreign-born parent, including me (my dad was Scottish).
    At the moment state borders are largely closed, with the exception of the Victoria/New South Wales one - coincidentally they're the states with the biggest number of cases. Our premier has just announced a relaxation of intrastate travel, so as of tomorrow we'll be able to go where we like, as long as we don't leave Queensland. Given that it's 1.8 million square kilometres (715,000 square miles) that's a lot of travel we can now get up to. We'll see what happens to case numbers.

9. Back To Top    #669
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1271 Post(s)
    Level

10. Back To Top    #670
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Level
    Here is some positive news about the virus losing strength in Italy.

“The strength the virus had two months ago is not the same strength it has today,” said Matteo Bassetti, head of the infectious diseases clinic at the San Martino hospital in the city of Genoa. “It is clear that today the COVID-19 disease is different.”

Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast