1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

Are there too many 'Housewives'?

I know it's been around for a while but I can't get over just how many 'Housewives from ... [insert city here] ' shows there are. Not only that but the 'spin off's' as well. I admit to watching one but why are there so many? Where did the phenomenon start - 'Desperate Housewives'? They seem to be popular so what am I not getting? What are your thoughts about these thrown together bunch of seemingly privileged women?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Honestly, I have very little patience for nearly all reality television. With the exception of shows like Mythbusters and How Things Work, I feel like I lose IQ points tuning in to any of it. To each his own, it's just never been my thing. There are too many talented writers out there writing great drama with wonderful casts and crews to bother tuning in to a show that is essentially following someone around to hear them complain about their high class problems, not because they have any special talent or skill other than bitching and money. I just can't do it. I think reality TV is the worst thing to have come out of the writers' strikes years ago. Not that I begrudge them striking...I guess it's that whole Rule of Unintended Consequences kicking in though.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebradley127 View Post
    Honestly, I have very little patience for nearly all reality television. With the exception of shows like Mythbusters and How Things Work, I feel like I lose IQ points tuning in to any of it. To each his own, it's just never been my thing. There are too many talented writers out there writing great drama with wonderful casts and crews to bother tuning in to a show that is essentially following someone around to hear them complain about their high class problems, not because they have any special talent or skill other than bitching and money. I just can't do it. I think reality TV is the worst thing to have come out of the writers' strikes years ago. Not that I begrudge them striking...I guess it's that whole Rule of Unintended Consequences kicking in though.
    Could not agree with you more. It is just a constant stream of drama and bitching with a 'girl weekend' thrown in. I watched one to see what it was all about and couldn't bare another. As you said there is so much good drama out there and interesting, informative reality/doco's [if you know what I mean]. So it's a result of the writer's strike, never thought of that.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy - ink View Post
    Could not agree with you more. It is just a constant stream of drama and bitching with a 'girl weekend' thrown in. I watched one to see what it was all about and couldn't bare another. As you said there is so much good drama out there and interesting, informative reality/doco's [if you know what I mean]. So it's a result of the writer's strike, never thought of that.
    The WGA threatened to strike in roughly 2001, and there was a scramble to not only secure programming for the networks, but also to say 'f-you' to the WGA. There was some reality TV prior to that time (MTV's Real World, Survivor), but it multiplied exponentially when the 2001 strike was looming.

Spoil The Dead is the largest & number one fansite for AMC's The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead, Image Comic's The Walking Dead, and the Telltale Games. Offering spoilers, games, and community to fans & zombie enthusiasts.