Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

Rick Grimes: Flawed Hero to what? *Contains Possible Spoilers*

The thrill is gone. I long admired Rick Grimes as a nearly ordinary guy, thrown into extraordinary circumstances, whose own intestinal fortitude, common sense and smarts, and sense of right and wrong, turned him into a leader and hero. But he's been through a lot of shit, and it's changed him, so much so that he took it upon himself to withhold important existential information from his friends, nearly execute a captive, kill his best friend, become a dictator over those friends, estrange himself from his wife, develop symptoms of PTSD after his wife's grisly death, and just generally become a hard-ass to survive, and help others survive, in the ZA. But the changes he appears to exhibit in S3 E15, "This Sorrowful Life" turn him into an illogical, irresponsible, idiotic, traitorous douchebag, deserving of a fate equal to what I wish for the Gov. He knows it's wrong, so he decides to turn Michonne over to the Gov it in a clandestine fashion, with only a few collaborators; he knows it's illogical, because he already said about the Gov, "he'll kill us all anyway"; he knows it's idiotic, because it will cost him one of the best fighters in the prison group; he knows it's traitorous, so he enlists someone know for traitorous acts to carry it out. I should, however, acknowledge that Rick is not really to be blamed; a character can only do what the writers allow him to do. So, with that said, it becomes obvious that the writers, in an effort to provide a shocking episode, have taken a great everyman turned hero character, and turned him, on a dime, into a completely different character--no logic in his thinking; no insight into the motives of others; no moral code to guide his behaviors; none of the smarts that have helped him to survive to this point. Why not just introduce a new character, say, Rick's cousin from "Backwooods" Georgia? He could be everything Rick is not, cowardly, stupid, non-insightful, totally illogical, and completely disloyal. That would have worked better than what they wrote for this episode.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Ok. Maybe you should wait with your judgement until the actual episode airs though. I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it at all.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    [QUOTE=MrNonsensical;77571]Ok. Maybe you should wait with your judgement until the actual episode airs though. I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it at all.

Fair enough. But I did give it a spoiler label, and as always, I'm just stating an opinion, (for what it's worth). The only difference is, this time it depends on what is projected to happen. So, if the original spoiler is wrong, I'll admit to being an idiot for jumping the gun, and all will be forgiven; but if it's right, (as most seem to agree it is), my thoughts and feelings wont change. And, I've read your posts, see your reasoning, and respect your opinion, but don't agree with most of it. Hope you're still enjoying this insanity.

PS I'm being consumed from the inside out, and had to get this out of my system

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I thought he was pretty weak during season 1, but I held out for season 2.

I thought his character became worse in season 2, as they gave him MORE opportunities to be indecisive, and show his lack of moral courage, but I held out for season 3.

Season 3 has pretty much destroyed any hope of salvaging his character in my eyes. ESPECIALLY if the story line follows the spoilers.

The writers on this show do a better job of making secondary and tertiary characters more appealing and realistic than they do with their own damn protagonist. Matter of fact, IMO, the protagonist (Rick) has been one of THE weakest characters of the whole series.

Shame, really.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Smith View Post
    I thought he was pretty weak during season 1, but I held out for season 2.

I thought his character became worse in season 2, as they gave him MORE opportunities to be indecisive, and show his lack of moral courage, but I held out for season 3.

Season 3 has pretty much destroyed any hope of salvaging his character in my eyes. ESPECIALLY if the story line follows the spoilers.

The writers on this show do a better job of making secondary and tertiary characters more appealing and realistic than they do with their own damn protagonist. Matter of fact, IMO, the protagonist (Rick) has been one of THE weakest characters of the whole series.

Shame, really.
    Good post. Disagree somewhat about the weakness throughout the series, but the case can easily be made for it. I'm just kind of a sucker for everday guys doing herioc stuff, and thought he fit the bill, (much of the time), until now. If this spoiler turns out to be true, I'll be right there with you from here on out. And still think Daryl should put an arrow in his eye for putting this ridiculous shit in motion.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree we really dont know how sunday is gonna play out. He told the group there goin to war so he knew in his heart the governer will do whatever. But in the defense of rick. Michonne has been around for 1 or 2 weeks. With the exception of the small bonding he n carl did with her. He knows little about her and is unsure of who she is and if he can trust her. And as a parent if there is a small chance you can protect your kids. You are going to take it. Hate to blame andrea again but i dont think he would be as mindfucked if the governer didnt mention his kids and how he would kill them.

Season 1 2 an beginning of 3. Rick would choose to put faith in people and it pissed me off. So for me even though i love michonne i could see the logic in this. Truth is imo michonne doesnt want to be anyones burden and ifshe dound out she would take care of shit herself. Andrew lincoln did state he wanted people to hate him this season n its working. But at te end of the day i dont think rick will go thru with it. And even if he does the fact that he doesnt always think hes right and questions his desicions with the people he trusts is what still makes him a better man than the governer

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 2pink View Post
    I agree we really dont know how sunday is gonna play out. He told the group there goin to war so he knew in his heart the governer will do whatever. But in the defense of rick. Michonne has been around for 1 or 2 weeks. With the exception of the small bonding he n carl did with her. He knows little about her and is unsure of who she is and if he can trust her. And as a parent if there is a small chance you can protect your kids. You are going to take it. Hate to blame andrea again but i dont think he would be as mindfucked if the governer didnt mention his kids and how he would kill them.

Season 1 2 an beginning of 3. Rick would choose to put faith in people and it pissed me off. So for me even though i love michonne i could see the logic in this. Truth is imo michonne doesnt want to be anyones burden and ifshe dound out she would take care of shit herself. Andrew lincoln did state he wanted people to hate him this season n its working. But at te end of the day i dont think rick will go thru with it. And even if he does the fact that he doesnt always think hes right and questions his desicions with the people he trusts is what still makes him a better man than the governer
    As I said, if the spoiler is bogus, I'm an idiot for jumping the gun. But if things play out as stated, would you ever trust Rick again after this collossal f-up? We have to assume the others will find out, at some point, how deceitful and diabolical to Gov is, then they'll know for themselves that he alwasy planned to kill the entire group, and this was a planned sacrifice for nothing but to give up one of their best fighters and weaken them ever more. After that, will they trust him ever again? I think it's just an illogical mess.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dc4340 View Post
    As I said, if the spoiler is bogus, I'm an idiot for jumping the gun. But if things play out as stated, would you ever trust Rick again after this collossal f-up? We have to assume the others will find out, at some point, how deceitful and diabolical to Gov is, then they'll know for themselves that he alwasy planned to kill the entire group, and this was a planned sacrifice for nothing but to give up one of their best fighters and weaken them ever more. After that, will they trust him ever again? I think it's just an illogical mess.
    No i hear you. I get caught up in some crazy stuff with the show lol. I think they know rick is messed up but seem to push him to be the leader. I think rick was always a bit illogical. I get the michonne thing more i guess cause of hope. I just hope this doesnt kill there michonne relationship. Its a shame but that was hershels whole speech about learning to trust people. Hopefully this will make him realize but at the end of every season we the audience are watching rick realize something

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

i agree to every word you said.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNonsensical View Post
    Ok. Maybe you should wait with your judgement until the actual episode airs though. I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it at all.
    I don't either.

- - - Updated - - -

Hell yeah on all of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dc4340 View Post
    I personally think you're overblowing it but it's your opinion. He had thoughts of turning her over, realized it was wrong. I don't get the issue here and the fact is, Michonne understands why Rick thought the way he did and seems fine at this point. With the filming spoiler for next episode, she apparently does trust him in a sense so in reality, yes, people can trust him even after what he was thinking of doing...but didn't.....

I think they do trust him again, simply based on the little we know for next episode. So in reality, there's nothing upset in that area to the point of being irreperable.

- - - Updated - - -

No i hear you. I get caught up in some crazy stuff with the show lol. I think they know rick is messed up but seem to push him to be the leader. I think rick was always a bit illogical. I get the michonne thing more i guess cause of hope. I just hope this doesnt kill there michonne relationship. Its a shame but that was hershels whole speech about learning to trust people. Hopefully this will make him realize but at the end of every season we the audience are watching rick realize something
    I agree with what you said, and I think it strengthens, not weakens it. And they do understand what Rick is going through, hell even when she/Axel were talking about it, Carol said she couldn't blame him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast