1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Southern born and southern bred Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Level

Big Ten Presidents Vote to Cancel 2020 Football Season

Presidents at Big Ten schools voted to cancel its upcoming college football season amid concerns regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Less than a week after releasing its updated schedule, it appears the Big Ten won't be moving forward with its 2020 season.

According to The Detroit Free Press, presidents at Big Ten schools have voted to cancel its upcoming college football season amid concerns regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Per The Free Press, the Big Ten's presidents voted 12-2 in favor of canceling the season. Dan Patrick said on his radio show Monday, Iowa and Nebraska were the only schools to vote in favor of moving forward with the upcoming campaign.

The vote among Big Ten presidents occurred after weeks of speculation regarding the viability of a college football season amid the coronavirus pandemic. On Saturday, the Mid-American Conference announced that it was postponing its fall sports until the spring.

https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article/...d-a40609ee39ad

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Level
    I know this stuff doesn't compare to the loss of life caused by this disease, but this is disappointing. I feel very badly for the players that would be finishing their careers with this season-there are an awful lot of college athletes that never make it to the pros. I know many schools have endowments and funds, but college sports is a huge moneymaker for schools which definitely support scholarships and grants for all students, not just athletes as well as the economy of the surrounding towns.

Not just because of football of course, but I think we should always remember that this entire Covid pandemic could have been a lot different if China had acted in good faith instead of hiding this from the world.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1283 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm not a college football fan, and I wonder what this means for players on full athletic scholarships. I suspect they'll get to keep them, but I wonder how this will affect any pro futures some of them would undoubtedly have. The NFL draft is going to be interesting next year, if it is held.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Maggies ripped and shredded uterus Anton69's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Level
    Cocaine- has, and will kill more college players than the fuckin Kung flu

just one more thing to rile up the ignorant masses, hey that energy has to go somewhere. Why not the streets........yeah that wouldn’t be playing right into the coming civil war. Too transparent you know like proclaiming everything is peaceful while a building burns.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    I'm not a college football fan, and I wonder what this means for players on full athletic scholarships. I suspect they'll get to keep them, but I wonder how this will affect any pro futures some of them would undoubtedly have. The NFL draft is going to be interesting next year, if it is held.
    It will be interesting, but I suspect the players that were going to get drafted early will still be selected. The players that might have been a later round pick will not have the chance to make a good show of it this year and so may not be able to bump up.