Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Level

Episode 11x04 "Rendition" Q & A

From We Are TWD Fans

How does the episode begin?
    It opens at the same ending scene from 1102 (the reapers attacking), this time from Daryl's POV. He calls out to Dog and they run off in another direction in the woods. Then Daryl and Dog are creeping around decrepit building structures and a reaper is headed their way. Daryl chucks a rock over a wall and away from him - the reaper heads to where it dropped and away from them. They head towards the trees again and BAM reaper appears - they fight, brutally, DOGGO GETS REAPER'S LEG AND OMG HE THROWS DOGGO AND DOGGO CRIES GUYS! 3 reapers are coming up behind Daryl - he quickly turns and throws a knife their way and bolts. The shortest reaper comes to view - Leah's eyes are clear as day through the mask.

The next scene is daylight, and seemingly Daryl got away. He has busted open a walker on the ground and covers his hands and face in guts. No Doggo Daryl is wandering through some woods, and as he comes up to another burnt out building, Reaper Leah is following him. DOGGO! (he seems ok!)

Daryl stops walking, he hears Doggo bark - he heads towards him, and walks right up to Reaper Leah, holding Doggo next to her. Daryl tells her Let him go, and draws his knife. Leah takes her mask off and tells Daryl, "I never thought I would see you again", Daryl replies "Yeah I thought the same. Daryl is clearly stunned. Leah asks him if he's alone, or with the group she saw him with. Daryl tells her nope, I'm alone and travel light like always. Daryl says he's leaving and tries to call Doggo but he won't leave her side. Leah tells him it's funny she thought he always liked Daryl better as she is aiming her shotgun at Daryl. Reapers pop up and creep towards Daryl. <credits roll>

What's the deal with Leah? Tell us everything! Do we find out how she became a reaper? Does she order Daryl's kidnapping?
    In the scene above, where the 3 reapers are behind Daryl, and he bolts, Leah seems in charge - instructing them with no words, to go after him. Leah is why Daryl is captured and not killed on the spot.
    When Daryl's brought into a structure and tied to a chair, they take the bag off of his head, and he's face to face with Leah - he tells her he came back for her, he looked everywhere for her. Daryl says he's sorry she ended up with these people and Leah (who was a little misty eyed with his words before, but hearing him say that snaps out of it) retorts "These people are my family. THEY never stopped looking for me."
    Leah asks again about his people, "the ones you told me about" and Daryl tells her his family picked the wrong fight with the wrong people a long time ago, he's alone. She picks up a bucket and dips a rag in it, pretending to wash his face a bit, then she quickly covers his mouth with the rag and he blacks out. He wakes up to being waterboarded. They are trying to get him to give up his friends, especially Maggie. Leah stops them, she will deal with him. Leah absolutely 100% does not believe him. He's dragged off again, this time to a cage.

When Daryl's in his cage, he notices there is another dude in a cage across from him (one of the Guardians, can't remember his name) - he calls Daryl and tries to talk to him, Daryl blows him off. The reapers show up and drag guardian boy out, who is already in really rough shape from the attack - he yells he won't tell them anything as they drag him off. Leah comes to Daryl's cage and tries again to get him to "tell me the truth". Daryl tells her, "I never lied to you Leah. Never."

In another scene Leah visits Daryl in his cage after saying goodbye to her reaper friend, Turner. She ends up telling Daryl the whole truth about her past with these people. She wasn't just a soldier, they were mercenaries. As they talk it's clear Leah is still really hurt about how her and Daryl ended. She says she asked him what he wanted and he left, he tells her he was scared of letting go. Daryl seems very genuine but it could al be acting to save himself too. Real or not, it seems to work because through tears Leah tells him she wants to help him save himself, because she still cares about him and doesn't want anything bad to happen to him - please give her some intel, ANY intel, to give Pope. Daryl gives up Maggie and Father G. as their leadership (NOT by name, just the woman is the leader and there's a priest who carries a shotgun - he also mentions a tall skinny guy that never shuts up?) Leah tells him she will have him moved out of the cage, somewhere more comfortable.

How is Doggo? It's important! We heard he was a bad boy this episode.
    Other than what is previously described, we don't see Doggo again until the last scene.

Is Pope scarier than he seems to be in the previews? Is a holy roller?
    When 1 of the reapers (Turner) dies and is returned to the Meridian, Leah and Carver walk to another building and you can hear a man crying out loudly in sadness - when we get a glimpse the man who brought him back is on his knees in front of Pope begging for forgiveness for trying to save him (Turner), he just couldn't. He's terrified. When Pope walks into the room to see Tuner's body, he has his own creepy music (think Governor, whisperers, etc.) He looks at Leah and says "God is here. He's angry. I'm angry. Do you feel that? Go make them feel our wrath".

In the next scene we see him, he's quietly sharpening his knife. Leah walks into his room and tells him she broke Daryl, and tells him there's twice as many people out there and she wants to recruit him. He's annoyed with Leah over her tracking and capturing Daryl. He asks her, "Did you find what you were looking for?" She explains he would be useful and whatever there was between her and Daryl ended the day THIS family found her. She says they can trust Daryl. Pope seems to believe her but wants to find out for himself.

Daryl's in a room with Leah, she tells him Pope is on his way and she unties Daryl's hands. They're locked in and the wood in storage container/crate thing they are in ignites into flames. Daryl uses all his might to pull boards off a window, breaks it and throws Leah out to safety, then jumps out himself. When they gather their bearings and stand up - Pope and the reapers are all gathered, watching what happened. Leah leaves Daryl, walks to the reapers and turns back facing him. As the structure crumbles engulfed in flames behind him Daryl glares at Pope who is staring back just as intensely. Still staring at Daryl, he states "Forged by fire. Ordained by God. Welcome him!" Everyone shouts "Fortitudo Saludis!"

In the next scene, it's Daryl and Pope. Pope asks him if he believes in God - he doesn't not anymore. Pope says that is a mistake. Daryl says he passed his test, Pope says that's not the end of it. They drink moonshine and sit to chat. Pope explains they all met in Afghanistan and bonded as a family in those fights. They smoke, Daryl listens to Pope describe the horrors soldiers faced when they returned home, and how they became mercenaries. He says the real dirty work started "after the fall". All the death, day after day... he started to feel like Daryl (not believing in God, wondering where he was).

Pope brings Daryl out to where the rest of the group are quietly chatting and eating around a fire. Pope tells Leah she was right about Daryl, she smiles and says of course I was. Pope tells the group, Daryl is family now.

As Pope is rambling about things, he walks over to Bossie (the reaper that brought Turner's body back to Meridian), and asks him if his wounds - on his back - still hurt? Bossie says no, and Pope continues to ask about the wounds, and how are they on your back if you were facing the enemy? Pope tells Daryl he forgot to tell him one thing - never turn your back on your brother and commends him for saving Leah before himself. He talks about how fire is not only for baptism, it's for wrath - he grabs Bossie and throws him into the fire - holding him face down against the flames with his foot. Everyone watches silently as he literally melts into the firewood, screaming. When Bossie finally dies, Pope tells the group "We are the Chosen Ones. We run in to the battle. We run in to the fire. Always." <credits roll>

I can't tell if he's a holy roller or just dove head over heels in to believing in God because there wasn't anything else to hold on to.

Do learn Alden's fate this week?
    No.

Do we see our peeps at the Commonwealth? How about Stephanie and Eugene?
    No Commonwealth.

Does anyone die? How?
    Bossie - he melts lol

What communities are in this episode?
    We only see Meridian

How is Rosita? What is she wearing?
    She's not in this episode.

Any other interesting things to share?
    - When Daryl is dragged in to the Meridian with a bag over his head, he's terrified - he's panting and they even show what looks like his hands shaking. But he's counting discreetly on his fingers. (People)
    - Leah's last name is Shaw.
    - The final words over one of the dead reapers were prayer, then some weird ass not English stuff, then back to Amen. Weird shit.

UPDATE 9/10/2021

Adding this tidbit from The Walking Dead Photos & Facts because bit was something I noticed as well and found interesting.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Can Carol show up and kill Daryl's not terribly smart ex already?

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Level
    Clearly an episode that I don't need to watch..

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1756 Post(s)
    Level
    Sounds so stupid. I love Daryl but this sounds stupid. They should have made the Reapers kidnap one of our group and Daryl had to infiltrate the group to save that person. This sounds stupid. Pope doesn't seem that scary to me only a little crazy. Oh and I always knew Leah was bad news.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Level
    Added this tidbit to the OP from The Walking Dead Photos & Facts because bit was something I noticed as well and found interesting.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1288 Post(s)
    Level
    Glad they're following up with Leah. This group sounds interesting, and I foresee Daryl getting caught in the middle in the foreseeable future.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    Wow so woke with the currents in America, go figure. Sarcasm.
    Glad I am no longer watching. I will read how this show ends.
    Pope explains they all met in Afghanistan ~ lol

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1756 Post(s)
    Level
    I swear we have seen Daryl taken by the villian like 5 times now. So to me this episode was boring. Pope is a fruitcake. Oh and it should have been Gabe taken by the Reapers could you imagine Pope and FG it would be amazing!!!!