Thanks Thanks:  0
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

A Long Road to Fortune

Hey guys, I'm PBR Sharpshoot, huge fan of The Walking Dead and the zombie genre in general. I decided to write my own zombie story utilizing the same type of pseudo-Romero zombies TWD uses. My story's name is A Long Road to Fortune. The plot is the following.

In Mexico within the state of Guerrero lies a small town called Tecpan de Galeana. The town is small but the population is growing each day. The town is notorious for crimes relating to gangs and drug cartels, who the town police find themselves at odds with on a daily basis. However, when the apocalypse hits, the remaining people in town are forced to band together to survive the attack of the dead and even the attacks of the living. The story focuses on a young man named Ashton. Ashton must put his dark past behind him and help the people survive. The story begins in Spring of 2010.

For more information on the story visit it's page (located in my signature). I will be posting the chapters here in this thread. I'm 9 issues in ATM so I apologize in advance for double-posting.

Issue One:

It was the middle of the day and the port city of Acapulco was in the face of disaster. The dead replaced the living as the residents of the city and the buildings that once stood tall were mostly collapsed on the ground below, broken and reduced to ruins. There was no sight of any survivors. There were just cars and the dead. The dead were wandering aimlessly around the city, waiting for their next meal to show up.

Some weeks earlier.

In the municipality of Tecpan de Galeana, a group of friends was seen drinking juice together on some benches in the town's square, which they call the zocalo. There were a total of 6 older looking teenagers, 3 of which were male and 3 of which were female.

"This is still my favorite juice in the entire planet" exclaimed one of the boys. The boy was short, thin, and had a full head of dark brown hair. His name was Fausto. He was as relaxed as anyone could be on such a nice day. "I mean, sure, the juice you can get at OXXO comes from large companies that know what they're doing but nothing beats the urban taste." said Fausto.

"Yeah, I guess you're right about that." replied another boy. This boy was easily the tallest of the group, with a height of 6 feet even. He was thin but muscular. Not muscular like a body builder, but muscular like a physically fit young man for his age. This boy's name was Ashton. "It's good. Everyone loves it." said Ashton, with a sad look in his face.

"Hey, you have had that same look all day. Please, cheer up or tell us what the problem is!" replied one of the girls. This girl had a long head of jet black hair that was as smooth as silk. She was about Fausto's height but much thinner. Her name was Liza.

"It's just that, my parents decided to extend their vacation. I miss them, you know? I really wish I hadn't stayed in town to study for the physics competition." said Ashton.

"You made the right choice there. Placing high in that competition will help you get into a great college!" replied another girl. This girl was taller than Liza and Fausto but not as thin as they were. Her long curly brown hair was what people knew her for. This girl's name was Yvette.

"I think you're missing the point Yvette. My parents are so caught up on work that they are barely around. I thought this vacation of their's was only going to last a week. Now it's turned into a month. I'll be lucky if they come back by the time I graduate!" replied Ashton, with an uneasy tone in his voice.

"Cry baby. Just relax, you have us. We can keep you company until they get back." replied the third girl. This girl was the shortest member of the group but what she lacked in height, she made up in spunk. You could say she was the most immature member of the group. Her nickname was Mimi. She didn't like to give our her real name. "I will keep teasing until you cheer up. Don't make me have to make you cry!"

"Alright alright. I'll cheer up. Peer pressure strikes again..." exclaimed Ashton sarcastically.

"Oh boo-hoo" replied Mimi.

"Guys, can you hear that?" said the last of the friends, Lucas. Lucas was what most people would call "a hardcore soccer fan". He had the body physique and the agility to keep playing soccer for days on end. "Sounds like gunshots..."

"Those ARE gunshots! We have to get out of here!" exclaimed Ashton, clearly serious.

Over in the distance, the group could see the police and the cartel members going at it in a classic shootout.
    "There goes the 7 month record" said Yvette. "And in such a nice day too..." replied Liza.

"Here's what I'm thinking. The street behind the church. We can make it there, come on!" said Ashton as he and his friends made their way to said street.

"I can't believe it! We're going to make it!" exclaimed Lucas. "And they didn't even see us!" replied Liza, who was just as relieved as Lucas, if not more. The group made their way to the alley, only to discover more members of the Costa Grande Cartel waiting to attack.

"La Reforma, quick!" said Ashton. "We can beat them!"

The group was shot at but they were out of the gunmen's range to get a clear shot. Two men were sent after the group.

"Ashton, the alley next to the pharmacy, it leads back to the main avenue!" said Yvette, as the group kept moving. "What are we waiting for then!" replied Ashton.

The group made it to the alley. The men were still in pursuit of them but the friends had enough time to hop the fence and be home free. "Guys, I'll help you all up" said Ashton. The rest of the friends nodded and started going over the fence one by one. Eventually, only Liza and Ashton remained and Ashton gave Liza a boost up. "Hurry Ashton!" Liza exclaimed.

Ashton was on his way up the fence when he was pulled down by the two men from the cartel.
    "Hey, look who it is! The infamous Ashton! What an honor." said one of the two men.

"What do you want? Money? Fortune? Your wives to love you again? Because I can give you all but the latter." replied Ashton.
    "Damn, you're cocky. How about you show some respect for the men holding the knives? replied the men

"Well, when you put it that way, I have no choice but to try and respect you." said Ashton sarcastically.

"People like you are what make the world interesting. If all people were good, where would the fun be? That is where you and me come in, kid. We are what makes the world fun" replied one of the two men.

"I'm not like that anymore!" replied Ashton, angrily.

"Yeah, right." replied one of the men. "Now, we have a message to send to you" The two men proceeded to stab Ashton in the stomach. Ashton fell back after being stabbed six times.

"Don Tucan sends his regards" said the two men as they left the scene of the crime.
    Ashton passed out as sirens were heards.

An unknown number of days later, at the hospital, Ashton was being wheeled out by a woman. This woman was his aunt, Patricia Leon. The hopsital was in flames. Patricia had a duffel bag full of medical supplies with her as she wheeled Ashton out of the hospital. The streets were infested with the dead, all wanting to get a piece of Ashton and Patricia. As Patricia got closer and closer to Ashton's house, she was bit in the arm by one of the dead, and just a block away too. "Go back to hell!" yelled Patricia as she blew the dead man's brains out with a shot from her revolver. After making it inside the house, Patricia layed Ashton down on his parents bed and left the room, crying.
    Days later, Ashton was finally waking up. "Ugh. Where am I? Am I, back home? said Ashton, clearly confused. Ashton turned his iPhone on an checked the date and time. Upon doing so, Ashton quickly came to one conclusion. "Oh no, I am way late for school!"

Hope you guys like it! More issues will be posted shortly.
    Last edited by PBR Sharpshoot; March 29th, 2013 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Posts merged

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Nice read

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Thanks! Here's issue 2:

Ashton rushed as fast as he could out of one of his house's gates and into the street. He was wearing a clean uniform (which only consisted of a shirt) and his backpack was full of school supplies. Ashton ran down the street and made his way to his usual taxi spot. However, upon reach his spot he was surprised. "Wow. No cars, no people, no nothing. This is place is a ghost town." said Ashton. "Oh wait, I think see some people." He thought. Ashton peeked in the distance and saw a giant herd of what he believed to be people. "Huh. Is there some holiday today I didn't know about? Why is everyone moving so slowly and in herds. It's almost as if their trying to imitate a bad horror movie" said Ashton aloud to himself, laughing. Ashton's laughter soon ceased however, as he began to hear footsteps and growling behind him.

"Grrarr" one of the dead attacked Ashton. Ashton thought he was a man who have had to much to drink, as they were all but uncommon in Tecpan. "Hey, what's the big idea!" exclaimed Ashton, after he pushed the man down to the ground. "Hey wait a minute, no man I've ever met has half of their cranium exposed like that. Not to mention their skin isn't that awful shade of green. And speaking of awful, what is that smell?" he thought to himself. The man continued to crawl to Ashton while growling. Ashton saw that the man's teeth were rotten as well. "Oh no. Please don't tell me!" Ashton noticed the herd in the distance came closer and closer to him. They were all riled up. "This cannot be happening!" yelled Ashton, as he began to crush the head of the dead man in front of him with his foot. "Damn it!" said Ashton to himself.

Ashton sprinted back home as fast as possible, locking the door behind him. None of the dead managed to track him bck to his home, which relieved him. "Wow. I missed A LOT." Ashton hurried back into his living room and discarded all of his school supplies. "Ok. I can't believe what I am seeing. Someone needs to have some anwers around here!" yelled Ashton. Ashton proceeded upstairs to his parent's room. He opened the closet and found a shelf. He opened the shelf and pulled out his father's trusty combat knife. "This should keep me safe enough if I avoid being seen. I have seen way too many of these movies to know what to not do.". Ashton placed the knife in it's case and stored it away in one of his pockets of his newly put on pair of military pants that used to belong to a friend of his. "Now that I have a weapon, I'm going to need some supplies." Ashton said, as he went down to his big pantry. To his surprise, it was stocked. "Wow. I guess Aunt Patricia stocked up on supplies before this whole thing went down. There's enough here to last both of us for months!". exclaimed Ashton. Ashton put 3 bottles of water away in his backpack, along with 2 apples and a protein bar. "I don't plan on being out for very long. But if I get trapped in one place, I'm going to need to survive until it's clear to leave." As Ashton got ready to leave, he started hearing slight grumbles and growling. "What! No way! How did one of them get in here?!"

Ashton proceeded slowly to the source of the noise, with his knife on hand. The noise led him to his backyard, where he found none other than his dear aunt all tied in chains. Upon seeing Ashton, Patricia began to growl and move. She couldn't however, as she was locked down tight. "Aunt...I...I'm sorry. But I can't leave you like this...you wouldn't have wanted it." said Ashton, with tears running down his face. Ashton stabbed his aunt right through the eye and into her brain, ending her struggle.
    Ashton spent a good portion of the day digging a grave for his aunt. He eventually buried her and made her a cross out of some leftover wood. "There. That should do it" said Ashton. He had carved his aunt's name and dates of birth and death into the cross. "You were young, only 29. You didn't deserve this...you were a great woman. Rest in peace, my dear aunt." said Ashton, who was now about to bawl but didn't.

Ashton left his home. "I spent all morning digging her that grave. I wonder how much daylight I still have left." he said. Ashton made his way back down to the taxi spot. The herd from earlier had separated, and now only a few of the dead were seen wandering around. "No human being would act like that" muttured Ashton to himself. Ashton decided it would be best to make it back to the zocalo. "Maybe there I can find signs of actual people". Ashton slowly approached the dead one by one, killing them with his knife one by one. Ashton attracted very little attention to himself, as he only encountered 4 of the dead on the way to the zocalo. "Only 4 so far. I would go into OXXO but I don't want to risk the alarm being set off. That's the last thing I would want to happen to me." Ashton thought to himself. Ashton then made his way past the hardware store. "Maybe I should stock up on tools too." said Ashton. He quickly nabbed a flashlight, a screwdriver, a hammer, and a machete. "This should be all I need for now." said Ashton. and slowly approached the zocalo. The mere sight of it horrified him.

"No way!" The zocalo was completely overrun. "Ok. they haven't seen me. I can still get out..." Ashton thought to himself. He slowly moved back, but eventually backed up into a car. The car let out a large alarming sound. Suddenly, the dead turned all of their attention to Ashton. "No, this cannot be happening!" Ashton screamed as he ran back away, with the dead now in pursuit of him.